Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

I found this strangely funny from the Packers. What was the point of it all?

On 29/12 they sign CB Jayson Stanley to the practice squad who was then immediately placed on the covid reserve list the very same day. Today he was returned to the practice squad and was immediately cut. Did he even get on the training field?

He must've made a very poor impression in the 7 days with us. 😆

1 hour ago, Chili said:

On 29/12 they sign CB Jayson Stanley to the practice squad who was then immediately placed on the covid reserve list the very same day. Today he was returned to the practice squad and was immediately cut. Did he even get on the training field?

He probably was brought on as a hedge against other CBs that were either injured or on the COVID list at the time not being able to make it back. He got nailed by COVID himself....so the team had to ride out his "recovery" period....and I'd guess, those other CBs have all returned.

So...."Thank-you for participating and Johnny has some nice parting gifts for you" :) 

1 minute ago, PossibleCabbage said:

The covid era has made watching roster moves confusing and somewhat maddening.  A team has made 17 moves including 12 players for six different lists, and none of them really mean anything.

"It's All A Big Nothing"   -    Livia Soprano

:)

Matt Schneidman -   Bakhtiari might be the best left tackle in the NFL when healthy, but how risky is it to play him, say, in a divisional round game over Nijman when Bakhtiari hasn’t played in more than a year and Yosh has been consistently healthy and effective this season?

ProFootballTalk -   Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers is the favorite to win the league’s MVP award. But one voter has already ruled out Rodgers for consideration.

That voter is Hub Arkush, who is one of the 50 members of the media the Associated Press gives a vote for the MVP award that the NFL treats as its official MVP and awards at the annual NFL Honors event. Arkush called Rodgers a “jerk” and a “bad guy” and said today on 670 The Score in Chicago that Rodgers won’t have his vote.

“I don’t think you can be the biggest jerk in the league and punish your team, and your organization and your fan base the way he did and be the Most Valuable Player,” Arkush said. “Has he been the most valuable on the field? Yeah, you could make that argument, but I don’t think he is clearly that much more valuable than Jonathan Taylor or Cooper Kupp or maybe even Tom Brady. So from where I sit, the rest of it is why he’s not gonna be my choice. Do I think he’s gonna win it? Probably. A lot of voters don’t approach it the way I do, but others do, who I’ve spoken to. But one of the ways we get to keep being voters is we’re not allowed to say who we are voting for until after the award has been announced. I’m probably pushing the envelope by saying who I’m not voting for. But we’re not really supposed to reveal our votes.”

Arkush said he is free to vote how he chooses without any rules about whether he can consider off-field issues like Rodgers being unvaccinated and spending 10 days on the COVID-19 reserve list.

“There’s no guidelines,” Arkush said. “We are told to pick the guy who we think is most valuable to his team. And I don’t think it says anywhere, ‘strictly on the field,’ although I do think he hurt his team on the field by the way he acted off the field. They’re gonna get the No. 1 seed anywqy, but what if the difference had come down to the Chiefs game, where he lied about being vaccinated, and they ended up getting beat?”

Arkush is a longtime Chicago sports writer who acknowledged that some people will “just think I’m a Packer hater,” but he said he knows for a fact that he’s not the only person who won’t vote for Rodgers.

“I can guarantee you I will not be the only one not voting for him,” Arkush said.

For Arkush, it comes down to who Rodgers is as a person, not who Rodgers is as a quarterback.

“I just think that the way he’s carried himself is inappropriate,” Arkush said. “I think he’s a bad guy, and I don’t think a bad guy can be the most valuable guy at the same time.”

1 hour ago, Chili said:

They didn't expect him to test positive for Covid when they signed him and then they couldn't cut him while he was on the Covid list. 

38 minutes ago, Leader said:

ProFootballTalk -   Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers is the favorite to win the league’s MVP award. But one voter has already ruled out Rodgers for consideration.

That voter is Hub Arkush, who is one of the 50 members of the media the Associated Press gives a vote for the MVP award that the NFL treats as its official MVP and awards at the annual NFL Honors event. Arkush called Rodgers a “jerk” and a “bad guy” and said today on 670 The Score in Chicago that Rodgers won’t have his vote.

“I don’t think you can be the biggest jerk in the league and punish your team, and your organization and your fan base the way he did and be the Most Valuable Player,” Arkush said. “Has he been the most valuable on the field? Yeah, you could make that argument, but I don’t think he is clearly that much more valuable than Jonathan Taylor or Cooper Kupp or maybe even Tom Brady. So from where I sit, the rest of it is why he’s not gonna be my choice. Do I think he’s gonna win it? Probably. A lot of voters don’t approach it the way I do, but others do, who I’ve spoken to. But one of the ways we get to keep being voters is we’re not allowed to say who we are voting for until after the award has been announced. I’m probably pushing the envelope by saying who I’m not voting for. But we’re not really supposed to reveal our votes.”

Arkush said he is free to vote how he chooses without any rules about whether he can consider off-field issues like Rodgers being unvaccinated and spending 10 days on the COVID-19 reserve list.

“There’s no guidelines,” Arkush said. “We are told to pick the guy who we think is most valuable to his team. And I don’t think it says anywhere, ‘strictly on the field,’ although I do think he hurt his team on the field by the way he acted off the field. They’re gonna get the No. 1 seed anywqy, but what if the difference had come down to the Chiefs game, where he lied about being vaccinated, and they ended up getting beat?”

Arkush is a longtime Chicago sports writer who acknowledged that some people will “just think I’m a Packer hater,” but he said he knows for a fact that he’s not the only person who won’t vote for Rodgers.

“I can guarantee you I will not be the only one not voting for him,” Arkush said.

For Arkush, it comes down to who Rodgers is as a person, not who Rodgers is as a quarterback.

“I just think that the way he’s carried himself is inappropriate,” Arkush said. “I think he’s a bad guy, and I don’t think a bad guy can be the most valuable guy at the same time.”

So Florio is on a mission to build support against Rodgers by publishing this story.  Seems akin to jury tampering, but whatever.

5 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

So Florio is on a mission to build support against Rodgers by publishing this story.  Seems akin to jury tampering, but whatever.

I'm not sure that everything coming from ProFootballTalk is coming from the mind of Florio...but there's this:

ProFootballTalk -  Private biases or judgments regarding individual players should not influence awards voting. Is Aaron Rodgers a liar (as to his vaccination status) and at times a jerk? Yes. Is he the MVP this year? Yes.

14 minutes ago, Leader said:

I'm not sure that everything coming from ProFootballTalk is coming from the mind of Florio...but there's this:

ProFootballTalk -  Private biases or judgments regarding individual players should not influence awards voting. Is Aaron Rodgers a liar (as to his vaccination status) and at times a jerk? Yes. Is he the MVP this year? Yes.

Fine.  But Florio allowed the article to be printed.  There’s no question what his motive is.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Guy sounds like a real tool across the board. 

In a funny way, if Rodgers somehow does not get the MVP over the Covid BS, it will only prove his exact point about being cancelled by a group who doesn't support his opinion on a topic which has nothing to do with football. People are quick to point the finger at him and say the cancel culture doesn't exist, etc....yet, it is literally playing out right in front of us if that's the reason he doesn't win MVP. 

Edited by packfanfb
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Guy sounds like real tool across the board. 

In a funny way, if Rodgers somehow does not get the MVP over the Covid BS, it will only prove his exact point about being cancelled by a group who doesn't support his opinion on a topic which has nothing to do with football. People are quick to point the finger at him and say the cancel culture doesn't exist, etc....yet, it is literally playing out right in front of us if that's the reason he doesn't win MVP. 

Like I posted in the other thread… a Chicago writer not voting for Rodgers, I’m shocked.

***whispers- he still owns Chicago, Hub. Remember to pay your rent for living in his city.

Edited by Green19

I'm honestly not convinced that Rodgers' performance is more valuable to the Packers than Burrow's is to the Bengals.  Aside from depth at WR, it feels like that Bengals team has less to work with in every position groups.  Like the Packers OL is down three preferred starters and to their third string LT and they're still better than the Bengals group with everybody.

Edited by PossibleCabbage

4 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I'm honestly not convinced that Rodgers' performance is more valuable to the Packers than Burrow's is to the Bengals.  Aside from the WRs, it feels like that Bengals team has less to work with in every position groups.  Like the Packers OL is down three preferred starters and to their third string LT and they're still better than the Bengals group with everybody.

Rodgers 3 more wins, 1 more TD, 10 less INTs. Played one game without his three top WRs and still won. You act like Cincinnati has a bunch of scrubs other than Chase, Higgins and Boyd. Not the case at all. Mixon is a pro-bowler too and has over 1200 yards rushing. 

Yeah, it's really not a close call IMO.