Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

51 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Pretty definitive stuff here. Sorry to the "oh no, what about our future cap???" whiners.

Count me as one, though I'd call it concern for the future rather than whining. 

We will see where we are in 2024, if those that want Rodgers traded are proved right (no SB in 2022 or 2023, Rodgers declining, a gutted team and the Packers in even more serious cap trouble), everyone will almost certainly forget you ever made this post, so you are relatively immune from 'told you so' posts, when the cap adjustments are biting hard - lucky you.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, R T said:

That's because they currently don't have a team for 2023 or 2024. They have 24 and 16 players under contract for those seasons and some of those players won't be on those teams either.  

That is why you move on from the big-ticket guys now, like Adams, Rodgers, Smith and Smith and load up on draft talent. 

12 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Count me as one, though I'd call it concern for the future rather than whining. 

We will see where we are in 2024, if those that want Rodgers traded are proved right (no SB, a gutted team and in even more serious cap trouble) everyone will almost certainly forget you ever made this post, so you are relatively immune from 'told you so' posts, when the cap adjustments are biting hard - lucky you.

That's the point. It shouldn't concern you because it doesn't concern the Packers. They have it figured out. The salary cap is literally not a bid deal to them and their plans, now or in the future. Some years you move the money, some you don't. We're in the phase of our franchise where pushing money to win now is the only logical move, especially for a GM.

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

That is why you move on from the big-ticket guys now, like Adams, Rodgers, Smith and Smith and load up on draft talent. 

What is "draft talent"? You mean a bunch of lottery tickets that are just as likely to bust as they are to turn into even average starters? 

This is precisely why I'm on board with Gute saying he's not interested in a bunch of picks for Rodgers even if we do trade him. At least give me players and maybe a pick or two. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

That's the point. It shouldn't concern you because it doesn't concern the Packers.

While the Packers do have much more information than I do, it doesn't make their decision right, as there are many factors that influence events. It's analogous to the draft insofar as teams have access to massively more information on players than we fans do, yet they are wrong all too often.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Any trade value with him?  There's plenty of teams with cap room, and good pass rushers ain't easy to find.

Nah. Gute's comment about Z is straight PR speak for "yea if Z wants to come back on our terms, meaning a pay cut or restructured deal, we'd love to have him" but obviously Z and his agent aren't likely to be as enthusiastic especially after he was clamoring all last year about not be extended and then got hurt. 

I think Z is 100% out the door but that's okay, we can survive that loss. 

2 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

While the Packers do have much more information than I do, it doesn't make their decision right, as there are many factors that influence events. It's analogous to the draft insofar as teams have access to massively more information on players than we  fans do, yet they are wrong all too often.

I personally wouldn't compare the cap to the draft because one is just math and financial planning and the other involves complex human reactions (you simply can't get in the mind of a 21 year old and tell he's going to have the 'it' factors needed to be great in this league). And yes, neither is fool proof but the Packers brass probably already has forecasted what their team will hypothetically look like in the next 3-4 years. This isn't a year by year thing. They can pretty much keep this thing together under Rodgers for as long as he wants to be here and they can either full rebuild or a mini rebuild. They'll find a way regardless.

5 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Absolutely cannot wait until we kick the can down the road to just become the Saints.

But are the Saints in that bad of a position? They were a QB away from still being a good team last year. They're deep in the cap again but they were like that last season too... 

What's the worst case scenario, they have to blow it up for one season and then they can start building again... it's not that big of a deal.

6 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

What's the worst case scenario, they have to blow it up for one season and then they can start building again... it's not that big of a deal

It becomes a big deal when the Packers cannot afford the best players........and if you are in cap hell it is the best players that take the hit, because that is where the big savings are. This is a more than one year thing when your team is gutted of it's best talent, it becomes a many year thing.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Any trade value with him?  There's plenty of teams with cap room, and good pass rushers ain't easy to find.

You trading for a 30 year old EDGE rusher who played in parts of 2 games this past season, has a bad back,. and has a cap hit of $27.6M?

I wouldnt mind the "all in" approach so much if my trust in our top line talent to actually play clutch and win the important games was stronger.

They simply havent earned that trust - or perhaps better put - have frittered it away.

We should have gone to the SB this year - then - we could have blown it up and start over.
But no - we cant even pick up a first down in crunch time.

Sure hope that changes. Hope will once again spring eternal....albeit a bit more on the tired side.

Edited by Leader
  • Like 3

Just now, Leader said:

I wouldnt mind the "all in" approach so much if my trust in our top line talent to actually play clutch and win the important games was stronger.

They simply havent earned that trust - or perhaps better put - have frittered it away.

We should have gone to the SB this year - then - we could have blown it up and start over.
But no - we cant even pick up a first down in crunch time.

Yeah .. lets go all in with some different pieces.  We've tried the Rodgers Adams thing for years and haven't got it done.  Get as much as you can get in picks and players and build this into a championship caliber team.  There are some teams who would probably part with a good quality QB in a Rodgers trade.

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Yeah .. lets go all in with some different pieces.  We've tried the Rodgers Adams thing for years and haven't got it done.  Get as much as you can get in picks and players and build this into a championship caliber team.  There are some teams who would probably part with a good quality QB in a Rodgers trade.

Remains to be seen which road we'll be traveling. AR's not said he wants to come back yet. That decision will have ripple effects.