Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

7 minutes ago, Leader said:

Remains to be seen which road we'll be traveling. AR's not said he wants to come back yet. That decision will have ripple effects. 

I want guys that want to be here, and are committed to winning football games.  Once these goofs start contemplating retirement it's just best to move on.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I want guys that want to be here, and are committed to winning football games.  Once these goofs start contemplating retirement it's just best to move on.

Like many Packer fans right now, I guess I'd like to have my cake and eat it too...to have Rodgers and Adams and Zadarius, but still have cap room money. And all that wishing and hoping likely won't make it happen. Maybe the comment Bart Starr made late in his coaching experience with the Packers is useful? It seems to me in discussing keeping expensive vets versus trading or letting them go he said something like "If I had it to do over again, I would let a player go a year early rather than a year late."

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

But are the Saints in that bad of a position? They were a QB away from still being a good team last year. They're deep in the cap again but they were like that last season too... 

What's the worst case scenario, they have to blow it up for one season and then they can start building again... it's not that big of a deal.

Yes, the Saints are in an absolutely ****ty position. The absolute worst thing you could have happen in this league is to be buried in cap hell and have absolutely zero prospect promise at QB. They are paying a TE to play QB ffs and their coach walked away because he realized how **** of a position they are in.

Edited by beekay414

1 hour ago, Leader said:

I wouldnt mind the "all in" approach so much if my trust in our top line talent to actually play clutch and win the important games was stronger.

They simply havent earned that trust - or perhaps better put - have frittered it away.

We should have gone to the SB this year - then - we could have blown it up and start over.
But no - we cant even pick up a first down in crunch time.

Sure hope that changes. Hope will once again spring eternal....albeit a bit more on the tired side.

This is the exact problem. We're going "all-in" by basically standing pat with what we had and hoping our risk adverse QB doesn't shrink into a mental midget again in playoff crunch time. I'm sorry but when you can't get it done after 39 regular season wins in 3 seasons, there's nothing there that tells me you're going to get it done "the next time."

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Norm said:

Are there that many? I haven't been all that worried about it honestly. 

It's still real, but it's going to keep going up and they know that. 

Seems to me it isn't the future as much as now?

I'm not until future draft picks start getting tossed around like nothing, which we know GB won't do.

Gute is doing what GM's routinely do.  Keep going all in.  Hope that you get lucky, or play better.  The odds are never in your favor, in a league with 32 teams, a salary cap, and lots of injuries.  But GM's try to beat the odds, and every season one of them succeed and the others don't.  The odds will be worse this year than last, and worse than the year before that.  But there's still a chance, and Gute and MLF will want to go for it.  So do players.  

I'm not surprised.  

I'd be fine with a rebuild, I think that would be fun, and *if* they hypothetically trade Rodgers for some good draft choices, I'll be very interested.  But the odds that a rebuild will work are not in our favor either; and good players would continue to run out their contracts while you hypothetically using rebuild draft picks.  The odds are never in your favor with the try-again approach; but neither would they be great with a rebuild approach.  

I'll hope we beat the odds whichever way Gute proceeds, and whichever way Rodgers dictates.  I'm just an optimistic fan, what other choice do I have?  

It's improbably either way, but I'm not sure it's actually more improbable with a try-again-with-Rodgers approach than a rebuild-around-Love-and-maybe-the-next-QB-after-Love approach.   

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

This is the exact problem. We're going "all-in" by basically standing pat with what we had and hoping our risk adverse QB doesn't shrink into a mental midget again in playoff crunch time. I'm sorry but when you can't get it done after 39 regular season wins in 3 seasons, there's nothing there that tells me you're going to get it done "the next time."

Thinking Rodgers a mental midget QB is kind of cringeworthy. He's one of the smartest QBs to ever play as many will attest. If anything he's too cerebral for his own good making him too risk adverse at times.

Also ignoring his career playoff performance based on 1 playoff game or two is pretty rediculous too. Aside from SF game, he's largely been great in the playoffs while the rest of the team **** the bed. Shoot, he woulda got a Brady like "win" vs SF if special teams wouldn't have played so poorly.

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

Bak playing would be a good start...

49 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Congrats. Way to aim high, my guy.

The Packer are aiming high.  Trying to win a Super Bowl every year.  You don't throw away a 4 time MVP in hope that you can draft a QB in hopes of contending.  

You guys will be the first ones bitching when we get the draft picks, move up to select the next QB and put our hopes on the Josh Rosen clone can develop.

I'll take my chances with the NFL MVP.

1 minute ago, NFLGURU said:

The Packer are aiming high.  Trying to win a Super Bowl every year.  You don't throw away a 4 time MVP in hope that you can draft a QB in hopes of contending.  

You guys will be the first ones bitching when we get the draft picks, move up to select the next QB and put our hopes on the Josh Rosen clone can develop.

I'll take my chances with the NFL MVP.

Bet I won't. I've been saying FOR YEARS that you ****s deserve to have a losing team for how spoiled you've been the last 30 years. lmao

I'll take my chances with a QB that doesn't shrink in the moment. You'll be either one of the first people bitching post-Rodgers, after he wins us absolute ****, or you'll flat out disappear like the Favre people did from the old forum.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Aaron running the offense would be a better one

With age, 12 is becoming more like every other NFL QB...when they feel pressured in the pocket, eyes drop, progressions aren't crisp and generally, things go south. Even the great Patrick Mahomes has **** the bed the last two years because Tampa harassed him and so did Cincy in the 2nd half. 

It's on par with why every single year the team with typically the hottest pass rush ends up being the team that makes it all the way. 

Edited by packfanfb