Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

3 hours ago, Sandy said:

Trading star players for multiple first rounders has never worked out except the Tunsil trade in Miami - which is still playing out and could fail as well. I'd rather we go for it with our short window now than march into the unknown.

John Hadl?

Herschel Walker (although one of the extra 1sts was a conditional)?

In NFL history, those are the only two that would compete for the bounty the Packers would receive for Rodgers.  And both were incredibly successful for the trading team.

• Like 1

I don't see how it's down to anything but play for the Pack or retire. I don't think his ego allows him to retire and have to share a class with Brady. These stupid games will be done soon. I don't think you hire Clements and already start some of the restructuring you have done if you have no idea the direction this will go.

18 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

I don't see how it's down to anything but play for the Pack or retire. I don't think his ego allows him to retire and have to share a class with Brady. These stupid games will be done soon. I don't think you hire Clements and already start some of the restructuring you have done if you have no idea the direction this will go.

Well, they do need to get under the cap whether Rodgers stays or goes and would guess that the Clark deal gets done the same either way. 

Edited by R T

Packers GM Brian Gutekunst: Aaron Rodgers domino 'has to fall' before we go down other avenues (nfl.com)

A restructure of defensive tackle Kenny Clark's contract moved the Packers from $42.7 million over the projected $208.2 million cap to slightly under $32 million, leaving Gutekunst with plenty of work still to do to put the Packers in a position to both pay Rodgers and find a way to retain Adams. It's a tall task, no doubt, but not impossible.

Is that correct? I thought we were still over by 42 million? 

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Packers GM Brian Gutekunst: Aaron Rodgers domino 'has to fall' before we go down other avenues (nfl.com)

A restructure of defensive tackle Kenny Clark's contract moved the Packers from $42.7 million over the projected $208.2 million cap to slightly under $32 million, leaving Gutekunst with plenty of work still to do to put the Packers in a position to both pay Rodgers and find a way to retain Adams. It's a tall task, no doubt, but not impossible.

Is that correct? I thought we were still over by 42 million? 

Oh look @15412 - exactly what I said to you about an hour ago. Imagine that.

23 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

The trade possibility is still there because even though a player cannot "require" a trade while he's under contract, Rodgers has implicitly done exactly that with the contract restructure last season. If he demands a trade, yes, the Packers could say "F you, you're under contract and will play for us or no one" but the reality of that decision is: (a) pay a $46m cap hit to (b) a guy who then gets to freely leave the following year for nothing more than maybe a 4th round compensatory pick. Both sides know that isn't happening, so Rodgers does have more leverage there than the average player. 

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

So, you trading anything for him?  30.  Bad back, didn't play but a couple of snaps this past season.  And you are eating a lot of cap space.

If I'm looking to do that deal?  Maybe a 4'th round pick, with guarantees that he signs a team friendly extension with me right away.  I doubt he will, or that his agent would let him.  But that really isn't the type of guy that a GM is going to stick his neck out for.  Too injured for his age and too expensive.  I think you are better off waiting for him to get released and see if you can get him on a one year "prove it" type of deal.

I'd have to have him in to check out his back first. Then there would have to be a deal in place I could live with. Not a high pick unless I really didn't want to compete for him in the open market. 

My sense is he's going to want a very big deal. My gut tells me it won't be out there.