Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

18 hours ago, Green19 said:

The price of going for it last year…

That was my biggest surprise about Turner. We’re paying him a fair amount NOT to play for us this year vs. a bit more to have a versatile veteran for one more season. 

We had to tighten the belt in some areas but seems like a bad trade off on that one. 

Edited by Refugee

12 minutes ago, Leader said:

Matt Schneidman -  With contracts for Robert Tonyan, Rasul Douglas and Jarran Reed on the books, Over the Cap now has the Packers at $15,139,028 in available cap space.

I imagine Nixon has little impact once you account for the 825k he'd be replacing off the back end of the top 51.  I calculated our draft picks to about 4.6m as well. Assuming we want about 5m in space left to go into the season, we've got about 5m left to work out some trades or signings. 

1 minute ago, Sandy said:

I imagine Nixon has little impact once you account for the 825k he'd be replacing off the back end of the top 51.  I calculated our draft picks to about 4.6m as well. Assuming we want about 5m in space left to go into the season, we've got about 5m left to work out some trades or signings. 

When/if Jaire gets extended, it should help our cap standing as well.

20 minutes ago, Refugee said:

That was my biggest surprise about Turner. We’re paying him a fair amount NOT to play for us this year vs. a bit more to have a versatile veteran for one more season.

We had to tighten the belt in some areas but seems like a bad trade off on that one. 

Turner wanted to go back to Den and GB probably doesn't have a starting RT spot available... once Jenkins returns.
 The cap savings are minimal so I really don't think this was a money move as much as its a depth chart move.

Maybe GB will sign a Dennis Kelly/Ricky Wagner type after the draft to hold down the fort in August-October

Might it also be possible that the health thing was not insignificant?  

Perhaps just a case of unfortunate timing.  Packers had to get under a deadline to franchise Davante, yes?  The space they have now, having off-loaded his 20 million, is obviously different than with 20M on.  I'm also kind of guessing that Gute and Rodgers still figured Davante might change his mind; or that if we didn't get a very solid trade offer, we still might not honor his preference to be traded?  

14 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Turner wanted to go back to Den and GB probably doesn't have a starting RT spot available... once Jenkins returns.
 The cap savings are minimal so I really don't think this was a money move as much as its a depth chart move.

Maybe GB will sign a Dennis Kelly/Ricky Wagner type after the draft to hold down the fort in August-October

All good points.  I wonder about the "no-starting-RT-once-Jenkins" thought, though?  We don't know if/when that will be; and we don't know if/when Bakhti will be back.  Seems to me that by the time Jenkins is back, there will be some other o-line injury that stresses the line depth.  And of course both Jenkins and Turner have played guard quite well.  So I admit I'm not sure I see a "no-role-for-him-anyway" motivation to let him go? 

Thus my question whether it was some blend of money (at the time); health; and perhaps scouting?  Perhaps they actually think Nijman and Newman might be just as good, or maybe better, than Turner at RT and RG, at his age and his present health?  I've been a pretty supportive Turner guy, so that seems kinda unlikely, but I'm no scout and who knows how Gute sees things, given the medicals and stuff?  Turner got "only" a 1-year "up-to-$5M" deal, that's like our Reed deal; so it wouldn't seem the league's GM/Medical-staff evaluation was super buzzed for Billy.  

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

We still don't know if Jordan Love is a whiff. He's got to get a real chance to play before that can be determined. It's not looking like that shot is coming this year. 

He apparently didn't impress Adams or MVS to want to hang around post Rodgers.  They ran for the hills.  I need to see a little more, but by actions from management, coaches and now players I can't imagine he's the guy they are going to pin their hopes to. 

2 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

He apparently didn't impress Adams or MVS to want to hang around post Rodgers.  They ran for the hills.  I need to see a little more, but by actions from management, coaches and now players I can't imagine he's the guy they are going to pin their hopes to. 

Agreed. I mean, sure there's a chance he turns it around, but the odds of someone doing so are pretty long. Usually if they don't look like a starter by the end of year two, it never comes together.

6 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

They were both reportedly offered at least similar if not better money to stay. 

According to what I read, MVS was offered a one year deal by GB - he signed for 3 with KC - and Davante (apparently) wanted out after last season - meaning 2020-21 - when GB indicated they wouldnt meet the guarantees he wanted in his extension - that they apparently held to. That - plus the LV and Carr connections.

In other words, I believe their decisions hinged on factors other than "Love after AR"

Edited by Leader
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Leader said:

According to what I read, MVS was offered a one year deal by GB - he signed for 3 with KC - and Davante (apparently) wanted out after last season - meaning 2020-21 - when GB indicated they wouldnt meet the guarantees he wanted in his extension - that they apparently held to. That - plus the LV and Carr connections.

In other words, I believe their decisions hinged on factors other than "Love after AR"

You are so wrong here.

The drafting of Love is why Putin decided to invade Ukraine. He is the reason climate change is happening. If only Gutes hadn't draft Love gas prices would be under 2 dollars a gallon nationwide. #FireGutes, #EvilGutes, #Wearealldoomed