Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

16 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

From PFF

" Rashan Gary's  90.1  Pass Rush Grade in 2021 is the highest by ANY Packers Edge since 2006"

I'd really like to get him extended this year because the cost is going to be ridiculous next year and even more the year after. 

4 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

Just runnung a few mock draft simulators and I have never had one of Olave, Burks, WIlson, Williams or London be available at the 22nd pick. IF we wanted one of these premium WRs I think we would have to trade up a few spots, maybe cost us our 3rd rounder. 

At first I was against firmly against a trade for Metcalf but if Metcalf could be had for our 1st rounder is that a better option than a 1st and a 3rd for an unknown but cheap option?

Funny because one of them is almost always available when I do them, and I’ve tried several different sites. Drake London is my pick in half of my mocks.

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

I keep seeing you post against trading for a WR and against drafting one in the first round. So just curious...what is your plan for solving the massive hole at that position? 

Not who you were asking but the plan should be draft a WR in the second/third and another one late, and let the back to back MVP - who the team bent over backwards for and paid a huge amount a money to - make it work. They should be trying to re-balance the roster away from the pass game (other than the QB) and let Aaron make non-premium investments turn into premium assets.

Edited by SpeightTheVillain

2 minutes ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

Not who your were asking but the plan should be draft a WR in the second/third and another one late, and let the back to back MVP - who the team bent over backwards for and paid a huge amount a money to - make it work. They should be trying to re-balance the roster away from the pass game (other than the QB) and let Aaron make non-premium investments turn into premium assets.

That's just not realistic. You didn't trade Adams so you can invest those picks in other positions. You either reinvest them in younger WRs or use them to replace Adams' via trade. 

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

I keep seeing you post against trading for a WR and against drafting one in the first round. So just curious...what is your plan for solving the massive hole at that position? 

8 minutes ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

Not who your were asking but the plan should be draft a WR in the second/third and another one late, and let the back to back MVP - who the team bent over backwards for and paid a huge amount a money to - make it work. They should be trying to re-balance the roster away from the pass game (other than the QB) and let Aaron make non-premium investments turn into premium assets.

Don't agree with this so much either. This shouldn't be a F-you to Rodgers. Where we don't give him enough talent and make him prove his worth. That would be ignorant IMO.

I want Pickett because he can be a deep threat and he's going to be a very good pro. Then you get a proven veteran on a one-year deal who can play opposite of Lazard. Then you have Tonyan at TE which is necessary as well. Cobb can eat up some snaps in the slot and make some plays just because of the chemistry he has with Rodgers. 

Edited by Old Guy

3 hours ago, R T said:

Nice job organizing the list. The "big 5" thing caught my eye, no one is actually claiming there is a big 5 with this group of WR's are they? After London there is not much separating the next 10-12 WR's. The Packers hardly need to force the issue at #22 or #28.    

It definitely seems to me like there are a clear top 5 guys — Wilson, London, Williams, Olave, Burks — who everyone expects to go in the first round. There are other guys who could go in the first as well, and some like Dotson may actually go ahead of one or two of those "top" guys. But those are the consensus first-rounders on most boards.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

That's just not realistic. You didn't trade Adams so you can invest those picks in other positions. You either reinvest them in younger WRs or use them to replace Adams' via trade. 

They traded Adams because either - 1) they had no control over it, he just wanted to be in LV and that was it; or 2) they realized that Rodgers and Adams together was an over investment in one area of the team so one of them had to go. 

If option 2 is true; or is true in conjunction with option 1, why would they attempt to immediately invest a large amount of draft capital (1st round pick) or draft capital and money (Metcalf) in the position? Obviously if a WR is the best available then I'm sure they will take one but if they are picking between an OT or EDGE and WR in the same tier - they should, and likely will, pick the EDGE and the OT every time in the first round.

I see it as not only realistic but as likely that they do not pick a WR in round 1. Nothing about the history of the organization suggests that they would either.

6 minutes ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

I see it as not only realistic but as likely that they do not pick a WR in round 1. Nothing about the history of the organization suggests that they would either.

In the "history of the organization" have they ever been this weak at a single position before entering the draft? You could argue that the Packers don't have a single starting position available on defense right now (open spots are No. 3 EDGE, No. 3 Saf, No. 4 CB, No. 4 DL). You could argue the same on offense depending how the Packers view Nijman and Newman. At WR, even if the Packers are head over heels in love with Lazard, which I question, you have at least 1 starting WR spot open, maybe 2. 

The Packers typically don't go into the draft with big time roster holes. Unless something changes in the next 3 weeks, you'll be doing exactly that at WR so I think you can throw any "history" regarding drafting WRs completely out the window.

28 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

In the "history of the organization" have they ever been this weak at a single position before entering the draft? You could argue that the Packers don't have a single starting position available on defense right now (open spots are No. 3 EDGE, No. 3 Saf, No. 4 CB, No. 4 DL). You could argue the same on offense depending how the Packers view Nijman and Newman. At WR, even if the Packers are head over heels in love with Lazard, which I question, you have at least 1 starting WR spot open, maybe 2. 

The Packers typically don't go into the draft with big time roster holes. Unless something changes in the next 3 weeks, you'll be doing exactly that at WR so I think you can throw any "history" regarding drafting WRs completely out the window.

A couple years ago they were desperate for a safety .. they traded up for Savage.  I kind of suspect they will deal up a little bit for one of the top four or five wideouts. 

8 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

A couple years ago they were desperate for a safety .. they traded up for Savage.  I kind of suspect they will deal up a little bit for one of the top four or five wideouts. 

That's what I'm thinking. 

34 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

the Randall + Rollins draft Round 1 and 2, didn't end up working great.

13 minutes ago, ifeelasleep said:

the Randall + Rollins draft Round 1 and 2, didn't end up working great.

Yeah, when you force it based on needs, the probability of failure goes up. Your judgement gets clouded, and you force yourself to like a player who isn't worthy of the draft position.

I don't see anything close to a Jamarr Chase or Jefferson in this draft. I'm not sure there is a WR worthy of a top 10 pick this year. The strength of the position is the depth. Guys like Pickett, Moore and Watkins have a chance to turn out to be the best WR in the class when we look back in three years. 

Edited by Old Guy