Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

If Jarrett Boykin has taught us anything, it is that giving a wr targets means he will be productive.  Is it better to have better WRs?  Of course.  Was Boykin much better than Taylor or Winfree, or did he get more targets? I would argue that he got more targets.  Let the draft come to us.  Don't make a panic move.  We already have the more important part of the equation in place.  Aaron Rodgers is pretty good.  No need to flip tables because we don't jump on every single opportunity for a WR.

reference:  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BoykJa00.htm

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Sandy said:

You could certainly argue that T and Edge are more important than WR in a vacuum. I would agree with you. But I think that the relative need there is so much higher than the others that we need to ensure it is addressed multiple times in the first 4 rounds.  Fortunately it's such a deep draft at the position that there are quality players expected to be available through the end of 4 rounds who can fill all the different sub-positions we have at receiver.

There's also the discussion to be had about when you can find quality players in the draft.  It's a little outdated, but the numbers probably shouldn't be too far off.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/2/20/8072877/what-the-statistics-tell-us-about-the-draft-by-round

Look at the success rate of DL in the first round (58%) compared to the second round (26%), and compare that to WRs taken in the first round (58%) and 2nd round (49%).  That's why if there's an EDGE guy at 22, I'm sprinting to the podium with it.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

No.  But the Packers have always historically used their FRP on premium pick with the lone exception being AJ Hawk.  It's been almost exclusively QB, OT, EDGE, DT, or CB with their FRPs.  If you want to include Savage as a non-premium position, I wouldn't fight you.

Good thing we have 2 this year. I'm not going to force a WR pick if the top guys are all gone by 22, but I just can't see the Packers not pulling the trigger on a Burks or Olave if either survive that 15-21 range. The only exception would be if someone unexpected falls at OT or EDGE.

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Good thing we have 2 this year. I'm not going to force a WR pick if the top guys are all gone by 22, but I just can't see the Packers not pulling the trigger on a Burks or Olave if either survive that 15-21 range. The only exception would be if someone unexpected falls at OT or EDGE.

I just don't think the Packers are as desperate for WRs as fans are.  The Packers have explored adding one, yet haven't which suggests they don't feel a ton of pressure to add to the WR room.  There's probably another veteran plus a late Day 1, early Day 2 pick plus another Day 3 pick to add to the room before it's "complete" for the 2022 season.  I think in an ideal situation, you get an EDGE (like George Karlaftis) fall to 22, and then you move 28 plus one of their SRPs to Seattle/NY Jets for a pair of SRPs.  You could then grab Pickens with that first SRP, and then that second SRP could be used or moved down to get more assets.  You could walk out of the first two rounds with George Karlaftis, George Pickens, Jalen Pitre, and Tyler Smith.  That'd be a near ideal draft for me.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I just don't think the Packers are as desperate for WRs as fans are.  The Packers have explored adding one, yet haven't which suggests they don't feel a ton of pressure to add to the WR room.  There's probably another veteran plus a late Day 1, early Day 2 pick plus another Day 3 pick to add to the room before it's "complete" for the 2022 season.  I think in an ideal situation, you get an EDGE (like George Karlaftis) fall to 22, and then you move 28 plus one of their SRPs to Seattle/NY Jets for a pair of SRPs.  You could then grab Pickens with that first SRP, and then that second SRP could be used or moved down to get more assets.  You could walk out of the first two rounds with George Karlaftis, George Pickens, Jalen Pitre, and Tyler Smith.  That'd be a near ideal draft for me.

I'm not quite there with you. I don't think you're going anywhere with Lazard + Cobb + Day 2 guy + maybe a FA burnout. I think you need at least one bigger commitment to the position. That can be (A) a 1st round talent in the draft, or (2) a trade for a legitimate starting WR. I think you need one or the other if you're serious about a SB run in 2022. 

• Like 1

Just now, packfanfb said:

I'm not quite there with you. I don't think you're going anywhere with Lazard + Cobb + Day 2 guy + maybe a FA burnout. I think you need at least one bigger commitment to the position. That can be (A) a 1st round talent in the draft, or (2) a trade for a legitimate starting WR. I think you need one or the other if you're serious about a SB run in 2022. 

Aside from a Ja'Marr Chase or Justin Jefferson type, rookie WRs aren't going to be impact players right away.  At this point, you're hoping you can piece the WR room together.  Grab a veteran to play early, and hope that your rookies will take off towards the second half of the year.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Aside from a Ja'Marr Chase or Justin Jefferson type, rookie WRs aren't going to be impact players right away.  At this point, you're hoping you can piece the WR room together.  Grab a veteran to play early, and hope that your rookies will take off towards the second half of the year.

I think Olave is a 900-1,000 yard the moment he steps on the field in Week 1. Burks isn't quite there in terms of his polish but he's a Day 1 contributor as well. Pickens is more of a wildcard because he didn't play pretty much the entire year. From there, the longer you wait to take a guy, the more likely you're waiting for that development. We don't have that luxury with our current goals. 

Packer's rosters over then past 10+ years aren't 'complete' until the FO leaves one position group completely devoid of talent and then also refuses to address that during the season by any means.

Fully expecting a second or third day project WR or two and to have them call it a day while I drink my depression deeper into the hole it's already in.

Ya gotta love the efficiency of some posters - in only a couple sentences - they're able tell you everything you need to know about them...

Some Random Packer notes from the internet:

Aaron Rodgers vs Bears:

• Passer Rating: 109.2
  • 6,549 passing yards
  • 61 touchdowns   ( for reference, Majik threw 66 TDs in his entire career)
  • 10 interceptions  ( for reference, there are (6) NFL QBs who threw 7 INTs in a single game )
  • 23-5 career record
  • .821 winning percentage
  • Three straight season series sweeps (2019-2021)
  • Most wins by a Packers QB vs the Bears all-time with 23  (Favre has 22)
  • Rodgers lost just 4 times during the entire 2010s decade (one of those losses he only played the first drive after getting hurt)
  • Most touchdown passes vs Bears in a single game (6 in 2014)

• Like 1

Speed merchant WR visits Titletown

A source confirmed that Tennessee speedster Velus Jones is in Green Bay on Wednesday for a predraft visit.
At the Scouting Combine, Jones ran his 40 in 4.31 seconds, making him one of the fastest players in the draft. He measured 5-foot-11 3/4 and 204 pounds.

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/packers-hosting-another-speedster-receiver-velus-jones

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

We'll see, for sure.  I think the "grab a veteran" depends on the veteran, and I'm not sure on the value/cost ratio for what's left.  Add a Woods?  That's one thing.  Pick up some Cobb-esque caliber guy, that's different.  

I wonder if the "impact-positions-only" principle might not be more applicable within top 15 than at 29?  Our pick 29, it's not that high.  Gute hit on Stokes, so sometimes you hit on impact-position guys there.  But going for "impact" position at 29, you may get a Datone who's not much impact ever, or Perry.  So I'd not object to getting a solid-good player there, as long as he's going to be good at what he actually plays, even if it's not necessarily one of the classic "impact" positions?

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

I agree ... I think the Packers can probably get by against most opponents with the Lazard's and Cobb's, but would be exposed against good teams and would be an early exit if they made the playoffs. You have to have some weapons that challenge and stress these defenses. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Thank you! You summed up my thoughts exactly. Who wouldn't be doing cartwheels if the draft fell to us with those 4 guys?

25 minutes ago, craig said:

We'll see, for sure.  I think the "grab a veteran" depends on the veteran, and I'm not sure on the value/cost ratio for what's left.  Add a Woods?  That's one thing.  Pick up some Cobb-esque caliber guy, that's different.  

I wonder if the "impact-positions-only" principle might not be more applicable within top 15 than at 29?  Our pick 29, it's not that high.  Gute hit on Stokes, so sometimes you hit on impact-position guys there.  But going for "impact" position at 29, you may get a Datone who's not much impact ever, or Perry.  So I'd not object to getting a solid-good player there, as long as he's going to be good at what he actually plays, even if it's not necessarily one of the classic "impact" positions?

I'm thinking that if Cobb is healthy, he is going to produce, a lot, this season.  

I would say that Perry was a good pick.  He was solid against the run and had some pass rush.  Then we had him for a one year contract and he blew up.  Hindsight says we should have let him walk in free agency.  Was it an A+ pick? Absolutely not.  But it was better than Datone Jones.