Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Does signing Watkins change the "type" of WR we might want to draft?

He isn't a deep threat anymore so he wouldn't our MVS replacement. He's more of a possession WR like Lazard. Honestly I think he's Lazard's backup, not someone who lines up opposite him.

I can understand signing him because he spent a year in LA whilst LaFleur was there so there is some familiarity with the system and knows his run blocking responsibilities.

Despite that he hasn't been a WR1 for a long time, he wasn't one in LA, never at Kansas and certainly not at Baltimore. Having two WR2 on the field probably isn't what we're looking for. If we wanted to solidify the WR1 position before the draft then we should've been bringing in Julio Jones...at least he's quicker, more physical and still capable of those Jordy-like over the shoulder catches.

I think signing Watkins means the WR we will target a boundary type (Pickins) or a deep threat (Williams).

5 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

Yeah he's essentially the MVS replacement. Not a huge fan of it because the guy has had major availability issues over the years, so he's just not a guy you can count on to suit up for every game regardless of what his role will be. Still, obviously far more cheaper than MVS so on the surface it's better value. We knew GB was gonna be adding a handful of bodies to the WR room via FA/trade/Draft, so this is just one of a handful of new additions.

I really hope he's not the MVS replacement. 

1 minute ago, Chili said:

Does signing Watkins change the "type" of WR we might want to draft?

He isn't a deep threat anymore so he wouldn't our MVS replacement. He's more of a possession WR like Lazard. Honestly I think he's Lazard's backup, not someone who lines up opposite him.

I can understand signing him because he spent a year in LA whilst LaFleur was there so there is some familiarity with the system and knows his run blocking responsibilities.

Despite that he hasn't been a WR1 for a long time, he wasn't one in LA, never at Kansas and certainly not at Baltimore. Having two WR2 on the field probably isn't what we're looking for. If we wanted to solidify the WR1 position before the draft then we should've been bringing in Julio Jones...at least he's quicker, more physical and still capable of those Jordy-like over the shoulder catches.

I think signing Watkins means the WR we will target a boundary type (Pickins) or a deep threat (Williams).

I don't think Watkins affects a thing in the draft. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Leader said:

This is where I differ......I dont want to be losing out on top talent "because of how the board drops" - nope. I want Gute to go get some WRs with the same gusto he moved up for other positions in previous drafts. Will he? Probably not.

Wouldn't just rule that out.  We traded up for Amari right?   I'm not worried he'll get the WR room fixed.  

38 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Not to throw rain on everyone's parade.  

https://www.draftsharks.com/fantasy/injury-history/sammy-watkins/6937

He has a 95% probability of getting injured in 2022.  His injury list is long.

Dunno looking at this would have scared me off.  

With our thin WR room I think this move was worth it.  He might have been the best FA option still out there.  With 2 vet WRs plus a couple of draft picks I will feel less anxious about this position going into 2022.

1 minute ago, Norm said:

I DON'T KNOW WHO TO BELIEVE

Mahomes throws deep balls for fun and yet he almost never threw one for Watkins. In fact Watkins yards per reception declined each year whilst he was at Kansas.

Just now, Chili said:

Mahomes throws deep balls for fun and yet he almost never threw one for Watkins. In fact Watkins yards per reception declined each year whilst he was at Kansas.

He's 100% not the MVS replacement. Not his game at all. Just had to laugh that those two posts were like back to back. 

1 minute ago, Chili said:

Also, it doesn't matter but KC Chiefs are in Missouri so it confuses my brain when you said just Kansas lol

1 minute ago, Pugger said:

With our thin WR room I think this move was worth it.  He might have been the best FA option still out there.  With 2 vet WRs plus a couple of draft picks I will feel less anxious about this position going into 2022.

I don't know if he was the best option out of Fuller, Landry, Jones or Green.

But he very well could have been the only one willing to play for that contract.

The bigger question...how are his eyes?  (Cobb has nothing to worry about.)

Glenn Clark: After Signing Sammy Watkins, Ravens Must Explore Trade, Draft  For Receivers - PressBox

14 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

Yeah he's essentially the MVS replacement. Not a huge fan of it because the guy has had major availability issues over the years, so he's just not a guy you can count on to suit up for every game regardless of what his role will be. Still, obviously far more cheaper than MVS so on the surface it's better value. We knew GB was gonna be adding a handful of bodies to the WR room via FA/trade/Draft, so this is just one of a handful of new additions.

Maybe this time his injury luck will change?  🤔