Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 minute ago, Green19 said:

Based on a beat reporter who has connections. He could be completely wrong but the reporter is standing by his report and said Raiders and Packers were discussing Waller and it was agreed until the league said no.

And the confusion on the rule was because it was added during Covid where you can’t trade a guy with a contract for a player who hasn’t sign his tag.

So it’s based on reporting… everyone can take it with as much or as little salt as you want. But the report is claiming Waller was part of the original deal.

And our beat writers were saying the Raiders were never interested in that offer.

I don't doubt that the packers wanted to do Adams for Waller and a pick(s). I'm saying that just because that offer was floated doesn't mean the Raiders were actually interested in doing that deal.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

And our beat writers were saying the Raiders were never interested in that offer.

I don't doubt that the packers wanted to do Adams for Waller and a pick(s). I'm saying that just because that offer was floated doesn't mean the Raiders were actually interested in doing that deal.

And I wrote earlier… you have Matt Miller confirming he heard Waller was being discuss in league circles given he wants new money.

And also Seattle came out and said numerous times… Wilson wasn’t getting traded… until he was traded.

It doesn’t make sense for the Raiders to say we are looking into trading Waller. It kills negotiation power. They need to make it seem like there is no reason for them to trade Waller because it would require a godfather type deal.

Maybe Waller and the Raiders have cooled on their relationship and a new deal will come to him there… but the Adams deal itself shows, these guys want to get paid and will take offense if they aren’t listened to the way they feel they should and that can kill a business relationship.

Being the guy in the silver and black… only to see them giving the bag to some outsider is tough if they aren’t interested in talking new money for you.

Look it could only be an in the moment type deal… they had a small window to get Waller and it passed. Having both Adams and Waller makes Vegas sit there thinking it’s nice to have both… and less likely to now deal him.

I don’t see these reports like Cowherd stated this morning on his show… that’s its bs reporting because GB is trying to show Rodgers and the fans “hey we are trying!!” Fans understand all too well how Green Bay operates. They don’t need to drop fake reports to make us think they are doing the work. The issue with them is they do the work but just set hard lines of value. Fans are more willing to give up the little extra to make it actually happen (see the failed Tony Gonzalez, marshawn Lynch, will fuller, etc trades).

27 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Also… for months everyone of the packers beat writers said it was nasty and testy with Adams but all of them said a deal would get done.

None of them saw a trade coming.

Point being stuff happens behind the scenes.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

There's a difference between trading a guy and shopping a guy. That isn't semantics. If the Packers had a shot at Aaron Donald, but the Rams demand Kenny Clark in the trade and the Packers do it, doesn't mean the Packers wanted to trade Clark.

I never said they were shopping him. He was going to be a part of the trade. Waller's team knows that. It makes it a stressful situation that his agent will use to either get a massive new deal or leverage their way out of Las Vegas. Pandora's box has been opened and team Waller knows it. 

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Sources really aren't good enough to make it as concrete as you are. Come on.

I don't think it's too much of a leap to figure that out. Have a hard time believing someone made that story up whole cloth. Green Bay would be out saying it didn't happen because they look foolish not knowing the rule. 

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I don't think it's too much of a leap to figure that out. Have a hard time believing someone made that story up whole cloth. Green Bay would be out saying it didn't happen because they look foolish not knowing the rule. 

Yes, because teams often comment on trying to trade for players that are still on their original team. C'mon. 

There's probably a nugget of truth, like they wanted him somehow and Ray addressed that. That could have been the start of the whole thing and it never got past them going "lol no."

That being said, Waller might do be annoyed by it all. I probably would be.

20 minutes ago, Norm said:

Yes, because teams often comment on trying to trade for players that are still on their original team. C'mon. 

There's probably a nugget of truth, like they wanted him somehow and Ray addressed that. That could have been the start of the whole thing and it never got past them going "lol no."

That being said, Waller might do be annoyed by it all. I probably would be.

And maybe that’s the 4D chess in all of this.

The issue I have is let’s say Raiders laughed GB out of the room with the idea of getting Waller in the deal. What benefit is it release this information?

Im sure tons of names are floated around in a ton of deals… and those names never see the light of day. Why is this information getting out? Timing makes sense as the draft is upon us… but if the packers really want Waller how does this being leaked out there help that effort?

Edited by Green19

1 hour ago, Green19 said:

Also… for months everyone of the packers beat writers said it was nasty and testy with Adams but all of them said a deal would get done.

None of them saw a trade coming.

Point being stuff happens behind the scenes.

Sure but I’m just saying if Waller was being shopped, there’s a good chance he would have been traded by now. It’s not like he wouldn’t be pursued by several teams.

52 minutes ago, Green19 said:

And maybe that’s the 4D chess in all of this.

The issue I have is let’s say Raiders laughed GB out of the room with the idea of getting Waller in the deal. What benefit is it release this information?

Im sure tons of names are floated around in a ton of deals… and those names never see the light of day. Why is this information getting out? Timing makes sense as the draft is upon us… but if the packers really want Waller how does this being leaked out there help that effort?

Sure wouldn't think so if you could connect the dots that they did it...

Just now, MrOaktown_56 said:

Sure but I’m just saying if Waller was being shopped, there’s a good chance he would have been traded by now. It’s not like he wouldn’t be pursued by several teams.

I would just push back and say maybe the raiders want to wait until the draft. If the rumors are true that the value was a “2nd” for him. It makes sense to wait for the draft to start and know what’s on the board and the pressure of the time running off the clock might cause a team to up their offer.

Deadlines spur actions.