Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Hindsight not needed.  A large percentile believed the old man should have been traded then, and they were right.  Everyone knew he could have possibly went to the big game with a different team, doesn't matter.  He also might have lost to the Lions in the last game of the regular season when we had everything to play for and they nothing.

His age, what we would have got for return, his past late season play and now regressing, his pouting ego. 

They made a mistake, and they regret it.  Nothing can fix that now, but the team can begin the recovery.

• Like 4

None of this addresses the only elephant in the room that matters...the fact that Rodgers was coming off back-to-back MVPs. That put an end to any trade consideration before it even started, period. You may not like it, but that's irrelevant. Teams don't trade QBs who just won MVP, let alone 2 straight, especially a team with a GM who needed a contract extension. 

Seattle doesn't trade Wilson to Denver last season if he was the back-to-back MVP in 20-21 or even had just won it in 2021. It's that simple. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Of course this isn't true. There were a LOT of people clamoring for him to be traded last year, before the 2022 debacle. If so many fans could sense it, the GM better have considered it or they're awful awful at their job and totally unqualified.

And had the team won 11 games and gotten into the playoffs again, there would be crickets on here about that thought process.

It's all about results.  And it could very well be that the difference between where we were and 11 wins (and into the playoffs) was a hurt throwing hand thumb.  Or maybe not.

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

None of this addresses the only elephant in the room that matters...the fact that Rodgers was coming off back-to-back MVPs. That put an end to any trade consideration before it even started, period. You may not like it, but that's irrelevant. Teams don't trade QBs who just won MVP, let alone 2 straight, especially a team with a GM who needed a contract extension. 

Seattle doesn't trade Wilson to Denver last season if he was the back-to-back MVP in 20-21 or even had just won it in 2021. It's that simple. 

It's a rare enough occurrence as it is, but the Rodgers situation was easily an outlier.

Jim Brown, Peyton Manning , Brett Favre, and Joe Montana are the only others to win back-to-back MVPs and they were early 20s (Brown), late 20s (Favre and Manning) and early/mid 30s (Montana and Manning) when they won their awards. 

With Rodgers, you have a back-to-back MVP who is turning 38, had expressed his multiple frustrations with the team, had some questions regarding his performance in the postseason, a relatively tradeable contract (iirc), and a fan base that would not have burned 1256 down.

Edited by Striker
  • Like 2

This has absolutely been addressed.

48 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

And had the team won 11 games and gotten into the playoffs again, there would be crickets on here about that thought process.

It's all about results

Totally not true.

If people wanted to do it after winning 13 games (and early playoff exits), even MORE would have been onboard after an 11 win season. That's still a decline.

The ONLY way the "don't trade Rodgers" folks would have been justified (or crickets from the "trade Rodgers" folks) is if we had made the SB. 

And we weren't close.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Totally not true.

If people wanted to do it after winning 13 games (and early playoff exits), even MORE would have been onboard after an 11 win season. That's still a decline.

The ONLY way the "don't trade Rodgers" folks would have been justified (or crickets from the "trade Rodgers" folks) is if we had made the SB. 

And we weren't close.

What argument are you trying to win here? That some people on a fan forum wanted to trade Rodgers after the 21 season or that Gute should have traded him? If it's the former, sure, I guess you guys called it and here's your soapbox, but that doesn't otherwise change the fact that Gute was not in a realistic position to trade the back-to-back MVP.

I feel weird even defending Gute tbh but I'm one of his bigger critics, but we need to have perspective here. His mistake was giving 12 the new contract, not failing to deal him.  

• Like 2

None of this happens.................until it does. THEN the discussion immediately shifts to "Was it a good move, or not ?"

9 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

What argument are you trying to win here? That some people on a fan forum wanted to trade Rodgers after the 21 season or that Gute should have traded him? If it's the former, sure, I guess you guys called it and here's your soapbox, but that doesn't otherwise change the fact that Gute was not in a realistic position to trade the back-to-back MVP.

I feel weird even defending Gute tbh but I'm one of his bigger critics, but we need to have perspective here. His mistake was giving 12 the new contract, not failing to deal him.  

Lol at "some people on a fan forum"

There was a LOT of trade speculation last year. You're trying to rewrite history. I'm correcting you.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Lol at "some people on a fan forum"

There was a LOT of trade speculation last year. You're trying to rewrite history. I'm correcting you.

Right, media speculation. Gute was also very clear from the beginning last year that there was zero interest on the Packers' side in trading Rodgers. While I think, deep down, Gute had an original plan to move on from Rodgers after year 1 or 2 with Love, that plan got thrown out the window, largely because of Rodgers' success in 20-21. That made the decision, or lack thereof, a fairly simple one for Gute by that point. 

So again, the fans and media can sit at home and say "he should have traded him" but there's not a snowball's chance in hell any of us are making that decision if we're the GM of the Green Bay Packers given the circumstances that existed at that time.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Right, media speculation. Gute was also very clear from the beginning last year that there was zero interest on the Packers' side in trading Rodgers. While I think, deep down, Gute had an original plan to move on from Rodgers after year 1 or 2 with Love, that plan got thrown out the window, largely because of Rodgers' success in 20-21. That made the decision, or lack thereof, a fairly simple one for Gute by that point. 

So again, the fans and media can sit at home and say "he should have traded him" but there's not a snowball's chance in hell any of us are making that decision if we're the GM of the Green Bay Packers given the circumstances that existed at that time.  

I can 100% guarantee you I would have pulled the trigger on trading him after 2020 or 2021. The haul I would have gotten, I wouldn't have flinched. 

I can also tell you trading him after 2020 might have been a mistake in hindsight because Jordan Love might not have been ready, but I would have rolled the dice. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

These guys have such a revulsion of Aaron Rodgers that everything that can be slightly twisted to reflect negatively on him is true in their eyes.  There is no nuance, no objectivity, no other side.  And we can barely even talk about any other topic because they have to let you know that Aaron Rodgers is bad, and we need to get rid of him.  It is beyond the getting old point.

Since we are under the cap now, I hope they bring Rodgers back, and give him even more money, just to spaz these guys out even more.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I can 100% guarantee you I would have pulled the trigger on trading him after 2020 or 2021. The haul I would have gotten, I wouldn't have flinched. 

I can also tell you trading him after 2020 might have been a mistake in hindsight because Jordan Love might not have been ready, but I would have rolled the dice. 

Now....factor in the amount of money you're paid a year....the fact your kids like the schools their in....your wife likes the area (and perhaps her job....) on and on and on.... - now - do you roll those dice and trade the twice consecutive MVP who's primary failure hasnt been in regular season games - but the Playoffs.

Especially (as you say..) you're not sure Love is ready to carry the team?

How much do you value your job?