Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

49 minutes ago, St Vince said:

Why are we creating all this cap space and signing no one? Letting Bobby get away was a mistake. The Bears are making Chess moves while the Packers are signing long snappers.

Bob Tonyan is a below average NFL (starter) player who you're fine having as a cheap guy, but once he had that injury he never came back as that 2020 hyper efficient player we saw.  Not a guy I would ever consider paying in free agency

Edited by skibrett15
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Right now I would trade savage for nothing, for cap space. I think there are better players available at his salary

What if we try to extend him? Value is probably lowest it'll be right now. Our safety room pretty much sucks. Without Savage it's really bare. 

I bet Savage is interested in testing the market next year. It's a gamble. I don't like his one year deal at all though either. If you like him, extend him. If you don't, clear that cap hit.

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

What if we try to extend him? Value is probably lowest it'll be right now. Our safety room pretty much sucks. Without Savage it's really bare. 

I bet Savage is interested in testing the market next year. It's a gamble. I don't like his one year deal at all though either. If you like him, extend him. If you don't, clear that cap hit.

I'm just thinking this safety market is kind of soft - Poyer didn't get the deal he was hoping for outside of Buffalo.

Von Bell got 2/16 and I'd rather have that I think.  There's just a crapload of other S out there

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

An extension kindda on the cheap.  But with more guaranteed money than his current tender.  Right?

I'm not violently opposed to that.

Also...it does seem a little like throwing good money after bad money.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Bak is a mid-season trade candidate if this isn't shaping up to be a playoff team.

EDIT: they can still pull that void year lever later this offseason if they want

Can't spread a roster bonus twice in the same contract year, which is where the money came from.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

i like him and midseason extend him if he shows that the problem last year was a combination of scheme/hamstring. 

10 minutes ago, R T said:

Can't spread a roster bonus twice in the same contract year, which is where the money came from.  

They could extend him though and re-work everything?  Idk maybe you're right.

Bak at 40M cap next season with 19M dead would be a pretty tough cut unless we had 2 tackles we loved, and then it would be a super easy move.

Edited by skibrett15

5 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Another domino. 

$3.3m is way more than I thought they'd do..I thought they'd go for a simple restructure which would have been $1.6m in savings.

This effectively pays for the salary of the 13th pick.