Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Just now, Brit Pack said:

Burrows, Herbert and Tua all had their 5th-year options exercised and they earned it, having played since their rookie years. Green Bay said we aren't paying the same as these guys for the 5th year as they are a proven commodity. That is not a lack of confidence in Love but a reasonable expectation. With the aforementioned QBs they won't be playing their 5th year on $20m + salary, they will all have new deals, and so will Love if he plays well this season. 

And thats a reasonable post :)

55 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Burrows, Herbert and Tua all had their 5th-year options exercised and they earned it, having played since their rookie years. Green Bay said we aren't paying the same as these guys for the 5th year as they are a proven commodity. That is not a lack of confidence in Love but a reasonable expectation. With the aforementioned QBs they won't be playing their 5th year on $20m + salary, they will all have new deals, and so will Love if he plays well this season. 

I think saving $7mil on the 2024 cap (which makes us 2.7% more competitive) is the bigger reason for this. Push as much as you can into 2023 dead year, reward Love with some cheddar today for his professionalism, AND limit your risk if he flops.

But the savings on next year's cap is important and helpful to both parties. This lets us build a 2.7% more valuable team around him in year 2. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

I think saving $7mil on the 2024 cap (which makes us 2.7% more competitive) is the bigger reason for this. Push as much as you can into 2023 dead year, reward Love with some cheddar today for his professionalism, AND limit your risk if he flops.

But the savings on next year's cap is important and helpful to both parties. This lets us build a 2.7% more valuable team around him in year 2. 

There are still a lot of variables to say this. If they don't spend the money, they would've had this money via carryover anyway, if they don't extend Savage, he counts 5.5m against next years cap and the 2024 savings is gone.

Like I said earlier, this is a parlay bet. The Packers want both Love and Savage to hit.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

There are still a lot of variables to say this. If they don't spend the money, they would've had this money via carryover anyway, if they don't extend Savage, he counts 5.5m against next years cap and the 2024 savings is gone.

Like I said earlier, this is a parlay bet. The Packers want both Love and Savage to hit.

So if they extend Savage they can recoup the dead cap void years on his deal? How does that work since his full 2023 salary is gtd?

They effectively pushed the 5.xM out to next year right?  So any new money they add on will add to that cap charge?

28 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

So if they extend Savage they can recoup the dead cap void years on his deal? How does that work since his full 2023 salary is gtd?

They effectively pushed the 5.xM out to next year right?  So any new money they add on will add to that cap charge?

They can just leave it there and it doesn't become due. So it's an extra 1.4 per year, if he's not on the roster, 5.6 comes due immediately. 

3 hours ago, Old Guy said:

His base salary this year is 2.3 plus the 20.27 for the fifth-year option. He potentially makes nothing more and possibly 12 million less since he's only guaranteed 13.5. 

remember the 5th year option is base salary that is paid out over the season in weekly checks.   Money now better than money later.

We also don't know if there are some provisions like no FT hat GB could use

could be some things that benefit Love that is yet to be known

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

They can just leave it there and it doesn't become due. So it's an extra 1.4 per year, if he's not on the roster, 5.6 comes due immediately. 

yeah, I guess it's good because you spread that 8M over more years and with cap expansion its a smaller % of the cap.  But they aren't really "saving" money here.

Money in 2024 or money in 2025 is largely the same.  And that's true for any years really.  You can push it back pull it forward etc.  It's ALL about the amount of GTD monies. When they come due is a lot less important.

Anyway, I don't think this move has much to do with savage at all.  He's just the guy who happened to have his deal reworked to make the space.

Packers are obviously in a slightly bad spot with Savage, wishing they didn't exercise that option since he's a bit overpaid.  If he can have a good year he's not gonna offer any sort of discount or value because of this move.  This is just a bookkeeping move to me.

35 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

yeah, I guess it's good because you spread that 8M over more years and with cap expansion its a smaller % of the cap.  But they aren't really "saving" money here.

Money in 2024 or money in 2025 is largely the same.  And that's true for any years really.  You can push it back pull it forward etc.  It's ALL about the amount of GTD monies. When they come due is a lot less important.

Anyway, I don't think this move has much to do with savage at all.  He's just the guy who happened to have his deal reworked to make the space.

Packers are obviously in a slightly bad spot with Savage, wishing they didn't exercise that option since he's a bit overpaid.  If he can have a good year he's not gonna offer any sort of discount or value because of this move.  This is just a bookkeeping move to me.

Savage deal looks lovely compared to Preston deal.

Would be incredible if some team take him off the books for us before the start of 2024...

38 minutes ago, Leader said:

This is great to hear - that we're leaning into someone as talented as Savage, that he's in the building (unlike last year apparently?) And that our defense and his role in particular will be structured more to his strengths.

No excuse why this shouldn't have been done two years ago, though, so it's a bit like congratulating our defensive staff for doing something they should have obviously already done.

Akin to praising an 8yo for not pissing their pants within the past week.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

This is great to hear - that we're leaning into someone as talented as Savage, that he's in the building (unlike last year apparently?) And that our defense and his role in particular will be structured more to his strengths.

No excuse why this shouldn't have been done two years ago, though, so it's a bit like congratulating our defensive staff for doing something they should have obviously already done.

Akin to praising an 8yo for not pissing their pants within the past week.

Barry needs to look at his defensive roster and come to the realization he's got a bunch of dogs. Let them eat and play downhill. 

He is so frustrating! 

• Like 2