Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, Brat&Beer said:

I don't think they keep more than 5. 5 DL, 5 EDGE, 4 LB, 11 DB. 

1 hour ago, Refugee said:

I think that may be close to how it shakes out. Also, a guy like Hollins can play some ILB and a guy like Preston could play DE in a light front. There will probably be some flexibility with slot corner/safety as well. 

I think we keep one more defender for specials. 

On offense probably 2-QB, 3-RB, 4-TE, 6-WR, 9-OL

When it comes down to the final roster, we have to remember that STs are more of a focus now. So while we may dismiss the Eric Wilsons and Tyler Davises, Rich Bisaccia probably doesn't.

I also still think the easiest ways to get your extra roster spots is to keep 2 QBs and 5 WRs.  And with the Packers' situation, probably 2 RBs.  Especially with the more fluid practice squad rules.

8 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

When it comes down to the final roster, we have to remember that STs are more of a focus now. So while we may dismiss the Eric Wilsons and Tyler Davises, Rich Bisaccia probably doesn't.

I also still think the easiest ways to get your extra roster spots is to keep 2 QBs and 5 WRs.  And with the Packers' situation, probably 2 RBs.  Especially with the more fluid practice squad rules.

This makes a ton of sense. The only caveat is if you think you may lose a WR or RB to waivers. We fans always think our players are going to get poached, most times they do not. 

The position that does give me pause is only keeping two RBs. I think we've usually had three actives on gameday. One gets nicked up during a game and you are riding solo. 

Edited by Old Guy

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

This makes a ton of sense. The only caveat is if you think you may lose a WR or RB to waivers. We fans always think our players are going to get poached, most times they do not. 

The position that does give me pause is only keeping two RBs. I think we've usually had three actives on gameday. One gets nicked up during a game and you are riding solo. 

Bolded is a big key.  If you think that you would lose the player, and you want to keep him, by all means use that spot.  Which should be a general stance on any random roster.

On the 2023 Packers, I am looking at what keeping WR 6+ or RB3+ costs us in the future. 

-At WR, I am looking at Watson, Doubs, Toure, and Reed as the top 4.  As the fifth WR, I look at Dontayvion Wicks.  They thought enough of him to draft him in the 5th, which isn't a super big investment, but there is a bit of priority there.  These guys all are: young, team controlled for the foreseeable future, and don't play STs (to my knowledge) outside of being returnmen.  So we look now at WRs 6-12 currently on the roster.  We can only have 5 WRs on the field at one time.  If these guys don't play STs either, you are probably looking at them as being able to have a real impact on the team as a positional player.  Last season we had 5 WRs break 100 yards on the season, in 2021 we had 4.  In all likelihood, our top 5 guys are the ones getting any run.  And seeing that our top 5 is so young, do you see any of the 6-12 WRs cracking that lineup at any point?  I am not sure that I do.  And in the event of an injury and a PS call-up, would having Jadakis Bonds instead of Duece Watts make that much of a difference?

-At RB, we have Dillon as a pending FA, and Jones on an albatross of a contract and likely very near the end of his career, at least in GB.  If we think that any of our current RBs are in the succession plan, sure keep them.  But both Goodson and Taylor spent time on the PS last season and weren't poached.  And other teams have also had the offseason to add to their RB rooms as well.  A feather in the cap for Taylor is that he did play on some special teams last season when he was activated.  

-On the OL, I see Myers, Runyan, Jenkins, Tom, Bakhtiari, and Nijman as 100% locks. Both Runyan and Nijman are pending FAs, and Bakhtiari has played more games than he has left in the tank.  I am working to keep as many of the young OL that we have around.  Perhaps I am overrating them a bit, but I count at least 4 more that I want to keep (Walker, Jones, Tenuta, Rhyan) and 2 more that I am thinking really hard about keeping (Newman, Tellfort).  We probably can't keep 12 OL.

TL;DR - I would rather keep Caleb Jones than WR6

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Bolded is a big key.  If you think that you would lose the player, and you want to keep him, by all means use that spot.  Which should be a general stance on any random roster.

On the 2023 Packers, I am looking at what keeping WR 6+ or RB3+ costs us in the future. 

-At WR, I am looking at Watson, Doubs, Toure, and Reed as the top 4.  As the fifth WR, I look at Dontayvion Wicks.  They thought enough of him to draft him in the 5th, which isn't a super big investment, but there is a bit of priority there.  These guys all are: young, team controlled for the foreseeable future, and don't play STs (to my knowledge) outside of being returnmen.  So we look now at WRs 6-12 currently on the roster.  We can only have 5 WRs on the field at one time.  If these guys don't play STs either, you are probably looking at them as being able to have a real impact on the team as a positional player.  Last season we had 5 WRs break 100 yards on the season, in 2021 we had 4.  In all likelihood, our top 5 guys are the ones getting any run.  And seeing that our top 5 is so young, do you see any of the 6-12 WRs cracking that lineup at any point?  I am not sure that I do.  And in the event of an injury and a PS call-up, would having Jadakis Bonds instead of Duece Watts make that much of a difference?

-At RB, we have Dillon as a pending FA, and Jones on an albatross of a contract and likely very near the end of his career, at least in GB.  If we think that any of our current RBs are in the succession plan, sure keep them.  But both Goodson and Taylor spent time on the PS last season and weren't poached.  And other teams have also had the offseason to add to their RB rooms as well.  A feather in the cap for Taylor is that he did play on some special teams last season when he was activated.  

-On the OL, I see Myers, Runyan, Jenkins, Tom, Bakhtiari, and Nijman as 100% locks. Both Runyan and Nijman are pending FAs, and Bakhtiari has played more games than he has left in the tank.  I am working to keep as many of the young OL that we have around.  Perhaps I am overrating them a bit, but I count at least 4 more that I want to keep (Walker, Jones, Tenuta, Rhyan) and 2 more that I am thinking really hard about keeping (Newman, Tellfort).  We probably can't keep 12 OL.

TL;DR - I would rather keep Caleb Jones than WR6

Yeah, I agree with this all day long. I do think we need a 3rd RB though. 

My oline as of today is: Bakh, Jenkins, Meyers, Runyan, Tom, Nijman, Ryhan (I think he makes a big second year leap.) Then pick 3 of these 4 likely to make it. All of them do if we keep 11 Oline: Newman, Walker, Jones, Tenuta. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Yeah, I agree with this all day long. I do think we need a 3rd RB though. 

My oline as of today is: Bakh, Jenkins, Meyers, Runyan, Tom, Nijman, Ryhan (I think he makes a big second year leap.) Then pick 3 of these 4 likely to make it. All of them do if we keep 11 Oline: Newman, Walker, Jones, Tenuta. 

I would like to discuss the merits of RB3 for at least 4 pages, please.

• Like 2

Acme Packing: The Packers find themselves in a similar situation, as a member of the weakest division, in one of the weakest conferences in NFL history. If the Packers wanted to try some pragmatic tanking in the hopes of landing Caleb Williams or Drake Maye, they might actually find it difficult to do so. It’s going to be downright difficult to avoid winning several games, and as a result, there’s actually a pretty good chance this team can “compete.”

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2023/8/3/23814016/cautiously-optimistic-2-trash-fire-conference-trash-fire-division

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Acme Packing: The Packers find themselves in a similar situation, as a member of the weakest division, in one of the weakest conferences in NFL history. If the Packers wanted to try some pragmatic tanking in the hopes of landing Caleb Williams or Drake Maye, they might actually find it difficult to do so. It’s going to be downright difficult to avoid winning several games, and as a result, there’s actually a pretty good chance this team can “compete.”

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2023/8/3/23814016/cautiously-optimistic-2-trash-fire-conference-trash-fire-division

I guess we might be thinking about drafting a quarterback if we lose eleven or twelve games.

Worst, worst case for me is that we lose nine games.

But I am fairly confident that we are in wild card contention, not top three pick in the next draft contention.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Uffdaswede said:

I guess we might be thinking about drafting a quarterback if we lose eleven or twelve games.

Worst, worst case for me is that we lose nine games.

But I am fairly confident that we are in wild card contention, not top three pick in the next draft contention.

AR was 6-10 as a starter. I see not reason to have expectations much higher, it's a young offense. I think we want to see them come together, learn to fight and what are the quality of wins and losses. 

• Like 2