Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

6 hours ago, pgwingman said:

I'm not seeing many surprises, but worth posting.

Pretty standard as naturally you get the "veterans" ahead of the rookies/bottom of the roster players but there is one minor eye opening detail, Jean-Charles is behind Gaines.

Gaines is undrafted vs Jean-Charles who is a 5th round pick. This time last year Gaines was cut and was a street FA for about a month before latching on our practice squad. A month later he finally made the active roster.

Jean-Charles was on the 53 in the last two seasons so to see his name behind Gaines is a little surprising especially when the depth chart is supposed to be "politically correct"

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Ideally, I think Joe Barry is best suited to coach in some.other stadium for some other team

Ahhh…JB hate. I had been living my life free of it for a while. I knew there was a nagging feeling that my optimism was misplaced. We still have to go through the process of being nauseated by JB’s defenses before we finally vomit him up late season. He will be both the problem and the solution that will have us feeling better about ‘24. 

Shame on me for looking at all that defensive talent and thinking it would translate into something special. A jump into the Wayback Machine tells me that twelve months ago we were scarfing up prognostications that this group up would be a top five defense in ‘22.

Sharpen the knives, boys.

On 8/8/2023 at 12:07 PM, Old Guy said:

I wonder if it was his decision to bring him back this year?

I've felt since January came and went and he wasn't let go, that they look at 2023 like the transition season it is. So, no reason to bring in someone new in the event it is the very possible rocky year it's likely to be with the youth movement. Let Barry either prove himself or wear it if the team struggles. 2024 would be my target year to really push for competing at the highest levels and it would make sense to bring in any new targeted DC then.

29 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

I've felt since January came and went and he wasn't let go, that they look at 2023 like the transition season it is. So, no reason to bring in someone new in the event it is the very possible rocky year it's likely to be with the youth movement. Let Barry either prove himself or wear it if the team struggles. 2024 would be my target year to really push for competing at the highest levels and it would make sense to bring in any new targeted DC then.

Serious question, why wait? Why not give the guys a chance to learn the new system this year? Worst case scenario is Barry does an OK job with elite talent draft wise and then gets another year because of it. 

11 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Serious question, why wait? Why not give the guys a chance to learn the new system this year? Worst case scenario is Barry does an OK job with elite talent draft wise and then gets another year because of it. 

Because they're realistic about best case for 2023. But also guarded about 2023's worst case which not only can hamper the fate of a new hire, but from the outside looking in, isn't as appealing for potential candidates. We have to face it that outside of Green Bay expectations aren't high for 2023. The best candidates should want to see how things shake out with the massive change at QB before committing. No one wants to be 1 and done which happens all the time at these coordinator and below positions. It's even one and done sometimes at HC. If Love shows potential but ultimately 2023 is an up and down transition year like many expect, Barry likely is shown the door, and the job profile is raised come January.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Because they're realistic about best case for 2023. But also guarded about 2023's worst case which not only can hamper the fate of a new hire, but from the outside looking in, isn't as appealing for potential candidates. We have to face it that outside of Green Bay expectations aren't high for 2023. The best candidates should want to see how things shake out with the massive change at QB before committing. No one wants to be 1 and done which happens all the time at these coordinator and below positions. It's even one and done sometimes at HC. If Love shows potential but ultimately 2023 is an up and down transition year like many expect, Barry likely is shown the door, and the job profile is raised come January.

Danny Devito No GIF - Danny Devito No Nope - Discover ...

It isn't anything you posted.  Not even close.  Barry has an incriminating picture on MLF and Gute.  That is the only answer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Because double agent Aaron Rodgers hasn't gotten Robert Saleh fired, yet.  All part of the plan.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Because double agent Aaron Rodgers hasn't gotten Robert Saleh fired, yet.  All part of the plan.

But all the TV experts have already crowned their ***!

I also read where one of the guys on TV, I think it was Mike Greenberg, saying the Jets need to trade for Bakh because their OT situation is so bad it is going to get Rodgers killed. 

On 8/8/2023 at 5:32 PM, Uffdaswede said:

Ahhh…JB hate. I had been living my life free of it for a while. I knew there was a nagging feeling that my optimism was misplaced. We still have to go through the process of being nauseated by JB’s defenses before we finally vomit him up late season. He will be both the problem and the solution that will have us feeling better about ‘24. 

Shame on me for looking at all that defensive talent and thinking it would translate into something special. A jump into the Wayback Machine tells me that twelve months ago we were scarfing up prognostications that this group up would be a top five defense in ‘22.

Sharpen the knives, boys.

thing is people do improve upon past mistakes, and thats to say Barry is the culprit for last years defensive struggles in the first place, thing is we know our pass rush turned to inconsistent as soon as Gary was hurt, to me that means it sucked prior and Gary just made it look better, and now we hear from our CB's that they like off coverage, and the more OFF the better, Jaire even said he's needed some correction.

we've also read that terminology was a issue, lack of experience with that led to mis communication and coverage breakdowns amongst the whole of the secondary so we replaced the secondary coach.

in 2021 Barry's first season our defense was trending up, I think Lafleur expects a bounce back year and why he retained Barry.