Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

9 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

The funny thing about "The Jets need to trade for a left tackle since their OL is a trainwreck" (a thing we kind of knew going into the draft- they needed to find two new starters on OL) is that people who have fantasy-brain never realized the sheer amount of resources and attention Green Bay devoted to "consistently having a good offensive line with Aaron Rodgers."

I'm willing to bet a lot more QBs struggle because the OL can't pass protect than "they don't have an all-world WR1".

I feel similar, but I also feel like we have not devoted many high picks to the OL or high second contracts post Lindsley/Lang.

We took Jenkins in the second and paid him.  Great job!

We took Myers in the second and so far he's playing himself away from a second contract.  Woof.

Flip side, Lindsley was what, a 5'th?  Paid him on a second deal, but not a third.

We got by with UDFA Lane Taylor and Lucas Patrick at guards.  Never really paid them.

We started a UDFA at RT and LT.  Nijman.

Tom wasn't a high pick, now was JRJ, nor was Walker, or the Williams kid.  Rhyan is a disappointing 3rd rounder right now.

I know I'm missing some that really failed, like CVL.  

But I feel like GB has invested less draft capital and less salary cap to field this line for the past 4-5 years.  Especially the last 2 years.  Instead, those scouts and OL coaches are working great together to find some gems in the rough that need coaching, then can play.

As Vegas notes, for ages we've had winning teams with OL that came without costly investment of draft capital.  Tauscher/Lang/Sitton/Linsley/Bakhti/Taylor/Tom/Runyan, etc..  We've gotten a lot of competitive lines without putting in much draft capital.  Clifton was 2nd round, Bulaga 1st, Jenkins 2nd.  Whiffed on Sherrod (1st), and Myers is teetering (2nd).  When you're a D+D team, converting on 3rd-day guys is kinda essential.  At the same time, I think some of these 3rd-day-success guys have sometimes struggled against playoff defenses.  

Not sure I track with some of the Bakhti trade talk.  He's good, we've got a new QB.  *If* we're hypothetically competing in this weak division this year, why are posters trying to trade him mid-year?  MLF and Gute will want to compete for the playoffs and keep him.   And if we're situated to be good (very good?) next year, why would we want to unload him then?  We'll have the cash, so why wouldn't we have both the motive and the resources to want him as much as any other contender, and lots more than most?  Sure, *IF* he wants to get out of Dodge, he'll have that choice, wherever he plays next year will involve some new contract.  But unless MLF's play-calling, the o-line, Love, and/or Bakhti fail, I'm guessing Gute will be wanting Bakhti back in Green Bay.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, craig said:

Not sure I track with some of the Bakhti trade talk.  He's good, we've got a new QB.  *If* we're hypothetically competing in this weak division this year, why are posters trying to trade him mid-year?  MLF and Gute will want to compete for the playoffs and keep him.   And if we're situated to be good (very good?) next year, why would we want to unload him then?  We'll have the cash, so why wouldn't we have both the motive and the resources to want him as much as any other contender, and lots more than most?  Sure, *IF* he wants to get out of Dodge, he'll have that choice, wherever he plays next year will involve some new contract.  But unless MLF's play-calling, the o-line, Love, and/or Bakhti fail, I'm guessing Gute will be wanting Bakhti back in Green Bay.  

We are the team that kept patching up and playing the corpses known as Clifton and Bulaga when they got old.

If it is one thing we know, it is how to get the best play out of aged tackles.

Zero issues from me keeping Bakh longer term.  Also?  If the price is right, I'd move him.  Thinking a second rounder.  But that is dependent on Tom looking the part of a LT.  (And I feel like he does)

• Like 1

Based on what I'm seeing, Bakh seems perfectly content here in GB.

His level of play last year was terrific, so I'm not worried about that. 

And he was dependable on the back end of last year up until the appendectomy, which is something no one can do much about.

He looks like a good bet to stick around for another couple years, if his body holds up

14 minutes ago, Leader said:

GB Board of Directors:  We need money, gimme ideas.

Consultant:  Raise ticket prices.  You have a 30+ year waiting list.  It's fine.

Consultant 2:  Raise concessions.  You have a 30+ year waiting list.  It's fine.

Random Bartender Across the Street:  Print worthless stock, they will buy it.

Random Drunk being Served by Bartender Across the Street:  Rip up the sod at the end of the year and sell it to the fans.

Random Skank at bar:  Build a sledding hill!

GB Board:  All Consultants are fired.  Too boring.  But we need to talk more to the bartender, drunk and skank.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

...He looks like a good bet to stick around for another couple years, if his body holds up

Yeah.  Gute won't be the only GM who knows Bakhti's age and injury record.  Everybody will (de)value him accordingly.  Market price will factor all of those risk/reward factors.  

Obviously Gute will have more detailed knowledge of the medical stuff.  So *IF* they are worse than people have reason to know, perhaps he'll have more reason to back off than some outside GM's who don't know how bad it really is.  But in the hypothetical that it kinda is what it is, and there are no scary secrets known only to the Packers, then I don't see why we'd not put in a fair-market bid.    

Unless one of these depth guys is looking way better than we have any reason to expect.  

3 hours ago, craig said:

I think the main assumption is that Tom and Nijman can be long term OT starters, and that Caleb Jones/ Rasheed Walker can back them up. 

IF that is the case (and it certainly isn't for Nijman, who is a UFA after this year), and IF the price is high enough, and IF GB is somehow out of the NFCN running, then yeah I'd entertain trading Bakh. But you also have to consider how expensive he'll be next year (most expensive in the league, a full $12M more expensive than the 2nd highest). There's a chance he's a cap casualty after the season anyway.

So it's a long list of requirements to meet, but not out of the realm of possibility.

Edited by pgwingman
add more genius

19 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

I think the main assumption is that Tom and Nijman can be long term OT starters, and that Caleb Jones/ Rasheed Walker can back them up. 

IF that is the case (and it certainly isn't for Nijman, who is a UFA after this year), and IF the price is high enough, and IF GB is somehow out of the NFCN running, then yeah I'd entertain trading Bakh. But you also have to consider how expensive he'll be next year (most expensive in the league, a full $12M more expensive than the 2nd highest). There's a chance he's a cap casualty after the season anyway.

So it's a long list of requirements to meet, but not out of the realm of possibility.

I sure hope you are correct about Nijman being starter level qualify at T. I see as a middling starter best case scenario. I want better than that long-term for Love. 

I am pulling for Sean Rhyan, who I fear we only see as a guard. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

His level of play last year was terrific, so I'm not worried about that. 

And he was dependable on the back end of last year up until the appendectomy, which is something no one can do much about.

He looks like a good bet to stick around for another couple years, if his body holds up

Bakhtiari gas a $40M cap hit in 2024. 4 possibilities:

They bring him back with 40M cap hit. Really unlikely. 

They trade him or cut him and save 20M of cap space. Most likely.

They get him to take big pay cut on base salary. Fairly unlikely.

They restructure his contract to lower salary cap hit in 2024 and push more money into future years. Likeliness depends on how they feel about the knee.

• Like 1