Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

8 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Prices have escalated too much to throw him a deal that makes him the 5th highest paid QB in football.  I think he's going to get $25-$30 mil avg. per season.  Who knows .. maybe that is wishful thinking.  Maybe he and his agent bet on themselves and end up striking gold in '25?

8 hours ago, Lodestar said:

That's Rashan Gary money. Love is a QB, he's definitely getting more than that.

10 years 400 mil with 100 SB and another 100 guaranteed. A version of the Mahomes deal. 

He gets his financial security and we get cap space to keep a lot of talent around him. 

Get it done!

8 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Prices have escalated too much to throw him a deal that makes him the 5th highest paid QB in football.  I think he's going to get $25-$30 mil avg. per season.  Who knows .. maybe that is wishful thinking.  Maybe he and his agent bet on themselves and end up striking gold in '25?

25M-30M is a pipe dream.  There is no universe where Love's next deal doesn't top 40M, and that would be a fantastic deal for GB.  It will be more than 40M.

5 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

25M-30M is a pipe dream.  There is no universe where Love's next deal doesn't top 40M, and that would be a fantastic deal for GB.  It will be more than 40M.

Both Gute and Love have some interesting decisions...strike now or wait longer and see what happens in terms of Love's performance trend line. If I were Gute I would wait longer and see if his recent improvement trend line continues.

The big thing is that the footwork has to improve for him to make more consistent GOOD throws week to week that franchise quarterbacks make. Dan Orlovsky said that a week or two ago and I agree with his assessment. My recommendation for Gute would be to wait until early next year to see if he puts in that HARD work this offseason to improve his footwork and other technical aspects of his game to get it to the next level in terms of ball placement and velocity. I'm sure Love sees it too and I want to see if he puts in the work this offseason. Everything else is there.

Edited by minnypackerfan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Jets had all the leverage though.

It was so obvious this was gonna flop. Only the fantasy football fans (which is 99% of NFL Gen) and the Jets FO thought this would succeed.

I bet everyone in NFL circles was laughing their ***** off at the fleecing as it happened 

It was General Manager malpractice to go into the season with a 39-year-old quarterback and that offensive line. It wouldn't have changed the outcome of the Achilles, that was 100% on Rodgers and not the offensive line. 

The greatest part of the whole trade was the swap of 13/15. It prevented the Jets from getting a LT. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Jets had all the leverage though.

It was so obvious this was gonna flop. Only the fantasy football fans (which is 99% of NFL Gen) and the Jets FO thought this would succeed.

I bet everyone in NFL circles was laughing their ***** off at the fleecing as it happened 

We got what we needed most....which was to get rid of AR. Was the return as big as we would have wanted - that first? No. But big deal.

As for the flopping.....you'd have to think that AR wouldnt have gotten decimated by that OL in any case. While theres precedent that it would have screwed up his production (the teams that always gave him/us the most  trouble were those with stout DLs and front seven. They got him out of his game and the 3_outs ensued.

But....who knows what would have happened in NY. Regardless, it's over. He's gone. I'm glad he's gone and we can see the light at the end of the tunnel for our cap situation.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

It was General Manager malpractice to go into the season with a 39-year-old quarterback and that offensive line. It wouldn't have changed the outcome of the Achilles, that was 100% on Rodgers and not the offensive line. 

The greatest part of the whole trade was the swap of 13/15. It prevented the Jets from getting a LT. 

I would go as far as saying that it was GM malpractice to go into the season with that OL, full stop.  Nobody is succeeding with that unit.  Maybe they thought they could patch it together and it would be okay.  I believe the Packers have overestimated the OL before too, the beginning of 2022 is a good example.  But the Jets are 4th worst in rushing yards per game, 2nd worst in sack percentage, and 3rd in total sacks.  Just an all around bad unit.  I don't believe their skill positions are great, but they aren't bad either.  A combination of horrible OL and Zach Wilson leaves the offense impotent though.  

It also must be repeated:  The Jets have spent 6 draft picks since 2020 on their OL, all of which are 4th round or higher.  They have also paid for veterans: Duane Brown, Laken Tomlinson, Billy Turner, and Connor McGovern.  The Jets have a coaching issue and an evaluation issue with their offensive line.  The Jets GM has a lot of leverage, too bad for him, the offensive line he has assembled doesn't use leverage at all.

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

Any random non-NFL fan reading this forum would probably be a little concerned by the amount of GM malpractice that is apparently occurring in the league.

There are a lot of them. I believe Detroit is going to look back at what they did in the 23 draft and point to it as the reason they didn't get over the hump. They are going to regress next year IMO. 

Those two first round picks are an absolutely joke. The players they passed on to get Gibbs and Campbell are ridiculous. 

Imagine Jalen Carter in the middle of that defense? YIKES! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

That's a pipe dream.  $30M makes him the 17th highest paid QB.  That's $40M/year AAV minimum.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

That's a pipe dream.  $30M makes him the 17th highest paid QB.  That's $40M/year AAV minimum.

It's still about the guaranteed money.

I'm going to keep pounding the table for a Mahomes type deal.

10 years for 400 million with 100 SB and another 100 guaranteed. HE gets 200 guaranteed we get cap flexibility for the foreseeable future.