Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

That Packers team of the late 90s could have had 2-3-4 Super Bowls in them....had that Dallas team not been so ungodly good.

K.  Maybe that is an overstatement, but we were a really good team then.  Dallas was just a tick better, expecially on the o-line.  They were a tough mountain to climb and I'm not so such that GB climbed it so much as time eroded that mountain.

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

That Packers team of the late 90s could have had 2-3-4 Super Bowls in them....had that Dallas team not been so ungodly good.

K.  Maybe that is an overstatement, but we were a really good team then.  Dallas was just a tick better, expecially on the o-line.  They were a tough mountain to climb and I'm not so such that GB climbed it so much as time eroded that mountain.

I'll never forget Erik Williams getting away with hands to the face on nearly every pass play.  It was friggin' ridiculous.  Reggie got no respect from the refs when we played against that guy.

Edited by {Family Ghost}
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'll never forget Erik Williams getting away with hands to the face on nearly every pass play.  It was friggin' ridiculous.  Reggie got no respect from the refs when we played against that guy.

What I remember is we'd be in the game, typically in Dallas.  Then at the start of the 4'th quarter, our DL would be gassed and beat up and Emmit would take over.

And yeah, Reggie would play well, but he'd get really tested by that O-line.  And they flat out beat the heck out of our IDL until we got Gilbert and the Big Dawg in there.  No disrespect meant to Jurko, but we needed those two inside to compete and win.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Guys like Jackson and Jones retiring after the SB win also cost that group a repeat.

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

Guys like Jackson and Jones retiring after the SB win also cost that group a repeat.

Yes, we regressed due to age.  We should have won some prior to 96.  We won at the end of that window.  At least that is how I remember those teams.

14 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

What I remember is we'd be in the game, typically in Dallas.  Then at the start of the 4'th quarter, our DL would be gassed and beat up and Emmit would take over.

And yeah, Reggie would play well, but he'd get really tested by that O-line.  And they flat out beat the heck out of our IDL until we got Gilbert and the Big Dawg in there.  No disrespect meant to Jurko, but we needed those two inside to compete and win.

True .. they were just better than us for a couple of those years and then when the Packers edged ahead of them the Cowboys got themselves bounced by Carolina before they could meet up the Packers in GB.  Wanted to knock them off in a huge game.

Edited by {Family Ghost}

11 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

The biggest mistake was getting rid of Wayne Simmons. He was the enforcer on that defense. He played with a massive chip on his shoulder. Also, guys were begging Gabe Wilkins to play in the Denver Super Bowl. He chose to not risk further hurting his knee because he knew he was getting paid in the off season. Another guy who quit after getting paid. Fortunately, we were not the ones who paid him. When he went out of the game, we had nobody who could hold up against the run and Denver exploited it badly. I can't remember #90's name but he was terrible and our only option. 

8 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

The biggest mistake was getting rid of Wayne Simmons. He was the enforcer on that defense. He played with a massive chip on his shoulder. Also, guys were begging Gabe Wilkins to play in the Denver Super Bowl. He chose to not risk further hurting his knee because he knew he was getting paid in the off season. Another guy who quit after getting paid. Fortunately, we were not the ones who paid him. When he went out of the game, we had nobody who could hold up against the run and Denver exploited it badly. I can't remember #90's name but he was terrible and our only option. 

Darius Holland. Not related to Johnny.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Correct! Who was the linebacker we signed to replace Simmons? He came from the Eagles and was a former pro-bowler who was washed. He was abused in the run game against Denver as well. 

That should be Seth Joyner, shouldn't it? Or was he a year later?

3 hours ago, pgwingman said:

It's also a memory bias. I can't remember dallas beating us in the playoffs, but I do remember the Seattle loss in the playoffs (holy cow that was 10 year ago?) 

I basically dislike every other team. But then especially hate Seattle, 49ers, and Giants to a lesser extent. No idea why...

I really only hate Dallas due to the "americas team' crap and their fans are pretty annoying.

However, the worst team is easily the Vikings, by a mile.  So much more so than Chicago. Detroit is starting to get annoying.

But Vikings the worst. Their fans think they're equals somehow when they've never accomplished anything.

If i we're pressed to root for any other team if the Packers didn't exist it would be the Bills. So I guess I hate the Bills the least out of any other team.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Arthur Penske said:

I basically dislike every other team. But then especially hate Seattle, 49ers, and Giants to a lesser extent. No idea why...

I really only hate Dallas due to the "americas team' crap and their fans are pretty annoying.

However, the worst team is easily the Vikings, by a mile.  So much more so than Chicago. Detroit is starting to get annoying.

But Vikings the worst. Their fans think they're equals somehow when they've never accomplished anything.

If i we're pressed to root for any other team if the Packers didn't exist it would be the Bills. So I guess I hate the Bills the least out of any other team.

I'd quit watching. Honestly, I do not have a second favorite team. I have three tiers: Packers, teams I don't absolutely hate, teams I absolutely hate. 

Absolutely hate: Bears, Cowboys, Steelers, Patriots, 49ers, NY Giants. The Bears are in a league of their own on this list. The others are because they have more Super Bowl wins than us or are tied. Might be wrong on the Giants, but I still hate them. The Seahawks also make this list because of the replacement referees game and the NFC Championship. You can throw in Pete Carroll and Russell Wilson as additional reasons. Wilson, biggest phony in the NFL. 

Just now, Old Guy said:

I'd quit watching. Honestly, I do not have a second favorite team. I have three tiers: Packers, teams I don't absolutely hate, teams I absolutely hate. 

Absolutely hate: Bears, Cowboys, Steelers, Patriots, 49ers, NY Giants. The Bears are in a league of their own on this list. The others are because they have more Super Bowl wins than us or are tied. Might be wrong on the Giants, but I still hate them. The Seahawks also make this list because of the replacement referees game and the NFC Championship. You can throw in Pete Carroll and Russell Wilson as additional reasons. Wilson, biggest phony in the NFL. 

Sorry but this list is not right without the a special shout out to Vikings on there

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Arthur Penske said:

Sorry but this list is not right without the a special shout out to Vikings on there

It's hard for me to hate the Lions and Vikings. Neither has reached the ultimate goal in my lifetime. The Vikings, that would be never and the Lions are still suck in the curse of Bobby Layne. 

The Cubs has to have Kris Bryant bring a goat on a bus for his first game at Wrigley to break theirs. Not sure how the Lions are going to break it. 

I always like to tell Vikings fan that spout off, "they are going to start giving a trophy to the loser of the Super Bowl and name it the Bud Grant Trophy!" Pisses them off on the spot.