Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

His public discontent should sound alarm bells to this coaching staff.  If one guy is unhappy there has to be more.  MLF could lose this locker room.  If I were Campbell and a LB and was asked to try to cover a WR I wouldn't be pleased either!

LaFleur screwed this up .. should have laid the blame firmly on Barry and cut him loose.  Once Barry was gone it would have fallen on the players to man up and rally around their remaining coaches.  Now if they lay an egg again they can just blame Barry for not putting them in the right positions for success or whatever.  Team has no accountability at all.

• Like 2

My speculation is Campbell is pissed about Barry comments last week and the reports thay came out from the defensive meetimg ononday.  Campbell is likely not 100% and probably feels his play is impacted by that.  

Barry saying allowing those explosive plays will get you fired is a bad staance to some players if they feel the scheme is crap and doesn't put player in optimal positions to make plays.

26 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

Campbell can find the bench.  Cap implications of cutting him next year?

The kind of thinking his words show is poison for young players. Good riddance.

The fact that GB's nominee for Walter Payton Man of the Year is the one with the poison attitude is a red flag to me.  Campbell is not a diva type.

• Like 5

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

The fact that GB's nominee for Walter Payton Man of the Year is the one with the poison attitude is a red flag to me.  Campbell is not a diva type.

His tweet is a little far from "poison attitude" that's quite dramatic.

It reads to me, guy venting about realizing his last year as a clear LB1 in a system was wasted on a lousy DC, but it's the same DC who made him relevant in the first place lets not forget. 

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

It's chicken **** to me that you get to do a terrible job at work and then blame someone else and everyone is OK with it. 

It seems you're ok that Barry can do a terrible job and get away with it.   

Why the double standard?   You are on the players for not playing up to par but give the coaching staff a pass.

I watch other games and have yet to see safeties lined up 20 and 26 yards off the ball in a 3rd and short situation.

11 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

It seems you're ok that Barry can do a terrible job and get away with it.   

Why the double standard?   You are on the players for not playing up to par but give the coaching staff a pass.

I watch other games and have yet to see safeties lined up 20 and 26 yards off the ball in a 3rd and short situation.

I've wanted to fire Joe Barry since Feb 6th 2021.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

His tweet is a little far from "poison attitude" that's quite dramatic.

It reads to me, guy venting about realizing his last year as a clear LB1 in a system was wasted on a lousy DC, but it's the same DC who made him relevant in the first place lets not forget. 

"Not going out my way anymore" ... "focus on [my]self"

You would never catch ray lewis saying something like this.

Very toxic

Edited by HokieHigh

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Talking about LB's that should be high level in coverage is a lot like talking about an elite blocking and receiving TE or a NT who's a force rushing the passer. There's like 5 of them in the league at a time. Warner and Roquan are the only two I feel great about in coverage right now. In their prime, Kendricks was elite, Bobby Wagner, Lavonte David. To be able to have the strength and body build to take on an IOL and then guard a RB/slot in space on routes is a special dude. We just need to get Walker to average and try to limit the amount of times any ILB is 1-1 with a back or slot. 

I don't even kn ow whereto start with this, so wrong, Fangio's schemes which are almost the same as Barry's Staleys and the other 7 or 8 defenses that emulate it require a coverage lber, and is the reason Gute drafted Walker, a healthy Walker has shown plenty of coverage ability in space, and any of these DC's just like Barry will give up some of that run stop ability for that coverage ability, Walker is well above average, he's been hurt this year and I think thats why your so down on him as a player.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

I've wanted to fire Joe Barry since Feb 6th 2021.

Doesn't seem like it.  You have been supporting MLF's decision to keep him on. If you've complained and called our head coach out for retaining Barry I missed it.   

MLF is bordering on a fireable offense for his management of the defensive side of the football.  The team last Sunday was not giving a winning effort in essentially a must win game.  Barry has lost the players and MLF needs to see and understand that.

It would be a shame to lose the momentum we are building on offense because of the inept handling of the defense.   If LaFleur goes into the off season with ANY thought of retaining the defensive staff, he should be relieved of his duties.   t would signal that his ceiling is as a n offensive coordinator. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

Doesn't seem like it.  You have been supporting MLF's decision to keep him on. If you've complained and called our head coach out for retaining Barry I missed it.   

MLF is bordering on a fireable offense for his management of the defensive side of the football.  The team last Sunday was not giving a winning effort in essentially a must win game.  Barry has lost the players and MLF needs to see and understand that.

It would be a shame to lose the momentum we are building on offense because of the inept handling of the defense.   If LaFleur goes into the off season with ANY thought of retaining the defensive staff, he should be relieved of his duties.   t would signal that his ceiling is as a n offensive coordinator. 

LaFleur kept Barry last year, which was his biggest transgression yet. He is not keeping him for next year. I will complain if he retains Barry, he hasn't retained him yet. 

7 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

"Not going out my way anymore" ... "focus on [my]self"

You would never catch ray lewis saying something like this.

Very toxic

Yeah, that's a bad look for Campbell.  He almost needs to take it back ASAP.  LaFleur should call him in for a little sit down. Can't have  one of the team leaders blowing up on Twitter.  

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

LaFleur kept Barry last year, which was his biggest transgression yet. He is not keeping him for next year. I will complain if he retains Barry, he hasn't retained him yet. 

If the decision was already made not to retain him then he's of no use to anyone and it's just best to send him on his Merry Barry Way.

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

He's retained him for at least the next 3 weeks which is a terrible decision.  You cut players when they prove they can't be trusted.  You need to cut coaches when they prove they can't be trusted.

Just now, hitnhope said:

He's retained him for at least the next 3 weeks which is a terrible decision.  You cut players when they prove they can't be trusted.  You need to cut coaches when they prove they can't be trusted.

It's an irrelevant decision. The results with or without Barry would probably be very similar over these next 3 weeks. 

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

It's an irrelevant decision. The results with or without Barry would probably be very similar over these next 3 weeks. 

Firing Barry has nothing to do with expected results over the 3 weeks.   I doubt the results get worse with Barry out of the equation, and there is a chance that it would energize the players. 

Accountability should not be a 1 way street. Players accountable but coaches off limits.   We lost a SB appearance because we were too stubborn to change coaching of special teams a couple years ago.   We are repeating it now with our defensive staff.