Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

2 hours ago, Leader said:

looking over his statistics included, there's a LOT of bad process here, but the signal probably still comes through the noise.

notable:

PENALTIES

Best: LA Chargers, 4 for 35 yards

Worst: Green Bay, 19 for 178 yards

League average: 11.9 penalties for 97.9 yards

GB had DOUBLE the league average in penalty yards on STs.  Worst special teams program in the league for going on 20 years now.  Coaching is bad, plan is bad, roster is bad.

17 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

First of all, they already have one of the best WR3s in the league...

WR3 is not an important position at all until WR1 or WR2 are hurt.  And in that case you don't want a guy who is "good as a WR3"

you want a guy who thinks he should be WR1 or WR2.

NFL teams that want lazard want him for his blocking - he's barely an NFL WR.

You're right, All-Pro's for WR 1-6. 

Madden has really killed the NFL fan's ability to understand what an actual roster is made up of and the usefulness of having a really good niche player for depth in certain roles. 

I'm not arguing Lazard deserved 12m per, but he's a useful player that any OC would give snaps to.

• Like 2

Just now, Packerraymond said:

but he's a useful player that any OC would give snaps to.

I don't think he'd get any snaps on a lot of teams.  The jets are one of them actually, since he was a healthy scratch more than once.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I don't think he'd get any snaps on a lot of teams.  The jets are one of them actually, since he was a healthy scratch more than once.

Jerry Rice and Randy Moss couldn't have saved the Jets offense. They really can't be used an an example of anything until Rodgers is back. 

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Jerry Rice and Randy Moss couldn't have saved the Jets offense. They really can't be used an an example of anything until Rodgers is back. 

the jets had no intention of running the ball with their best in the league blocking receiver?  Or running WR screens with their excellent blocking receiver leading the way?  Why would they make him inactive when they had a game plan of "avoid passing at all costs"

2 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

When people say stuff like "WR3 is not an important position at all until WR1 or WR2 are hurt", there really isn't any point in continuing the discussion.

QB
WR1
OT
OG
C
WR2
TE
RB
TE2
RB2
WR3

not that important.

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

the jets had no intention of running the ball with their best in the league blocking receiver?  Or running WR screens with their excellent blocking receiver leading the way?  Why would they make him inactive when they had a game plan of "avoid passing at all costs"

Who knows? Why did the Packers in back to back playoff appearances start a much worse OL with experience over a younger OL who was playing good ball in the regular season? Why was Royce Newman inserted into games earlier this year over Sean Rhyan? Coaches aren't perfect. They make really dumb calls. Lazard as a healthy scratch was a very dumb call, and their lack of success doesn't point at all that they made the right call. 

• Like 1

WR3 is a platoon position.  One player is basically inconsequential.  Most teams have a guy who plays 60% of snaps at WR3 and another guy at WR4 who plays 40% of snaps

WR1 and WR2 are 90%+ snap players.  WR3 is actually like 3 people.

32 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Not sure how he was overrated? We had him for his league minimum rookie contract. Got a lot out of a guy on that sort of contract. We then allowed the Jets to overpay him and are getting, I believe, a 4th round comp pick. 

Some people took a lot of heat for suggesting that having Lazard as lead receiver was poor strategy. 

It was pretty widely held on this board that Lazard was good and only held back due to Rodgers / Adams connection.  Many here felt Lazard would break out W/O Adams.   Some of us held the opinion that he was a blocker playing the position and not a legitimate top receiving threat.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

WR3 is a platoon position.  One player is basically inconsequential.  Most teams have a guy who plays 60% of snaps at WR3 and another guy at WR4 who plays 40% of snaps

WR1 and WR2 are 90%+ snap players.  WR3 is actually like 3 people.

What's your point? Where was the argument ever that Lazard is a top WR? The question was would he even make our team, the answer is yes, he's a useful depth WR, just not at 12m AAV. 

I'll say this...it takes a different, or special, kind of offense to allow Lazard to be used correctly.

We have such an offense.  And we know how to use him.

And?  I thought his blocking wouldn't be replaceable.  I was wrong.  Our WR's have done a fine job in the blocking portions of their job.  All of them.  Obviously, we coach that up well.

No need for him here any longer.  But he was a very nice piece for us to have when he was inexpensive.

Wouldn't shock me if San Fran values his skillset at the right dollars.  I could see Miami, too.

The Jets?  Minus Rodgers, you can't really judge that offense or the players.  It was just all that bad for them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

Some people took a lot of heat for suggesting that having Lazard as lead receiver was poor strategy. 

It was pretty widely held on this board that Lazard was good and only held back due to Rodgers / Adams connection.  Many here felt Lazard would break out W/O Adams.   Some of us held the opinion that he was a blocker playing the position and not a legitimate top receiving threat.  

If Jordan Love was our QB in 2022 and Lazard played a full 17 game season, he would've had 1000+ yards and 8+ TD's.