Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I don't have the Packers releasing Bakhtiari in my projections. They'll do a re-worked deal to keep him.

He's 33 years old going into the final year of his deal.  The end of the line is here.  I LOVE him and all he did for Green Bay.  But it's time to move on.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

He's 33 years old going into the final year of his deal.  The end of the line is here.  I LOVE him and all he did for Green Bay.  But it's time to move on.

I'm one of those, along with @incognito_man, who disagrees with this and sees no reason to part with elite LT play, so long as when Gute sits down with the medical team they are confident the operation fixed the abrasive nature in his knee and will limit the fluid build up it caused him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm one of those, along with @incognito_man, who disagrees with this and sees no reason to part with elite LT play, so long as when Gute sits down with the medical team they are confident the operation fixed the abrasive nature in his knee and will limit the fluid build up it caused him.

Elite players don't play in 37% of the game in the last four seasons and 25% of the last 3 seasons.  If Bakh wants to take a massive paycut, and a heavily incentive-based way to make up that money I'd absolutely be interested.  But at $40M, I'm not interested in lighting money on fire for the hell of it.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Elite players don't play in 37% of the game in the last four seasons and 25% of the last 3 seasons.  If Bakh wants to take a massive paycut, and a heavily incentive-based way to make up that money I'd absolutely be interested.  But at $40M, I'm not interested in lighting money on fire for the hell of it.

This is the argument I hear over and over again and it's odd to me, like we're not using our reading comprehension. Bakh chose to miss this season to fix the issue causing the missed games due to fluid build up. Had nothing to do with the ACL anymore. He has/had a texture to ligaments in his knee that caused inflammation. It was a condition that was asymptomatic for him until the damage done to the knee by the ACL tear.

If the medical staff says to Gute "eh I still think he's going to be week-to-week the rest of his career" Bakh will be cut. That will be a tough pill for Dave to swallow and most likely means his career is over. If Dave plays next year I guarantee he plays 12 games minimum unless a separate injury occurs 

• Like 1

This is the argument I hear over and over again and it's odd to me, like we're not using our reading comprehension. Bakh chose to miss this season to fix the issue causing the missed games due to fluid build up. Had nothing to do with the ACL anymore. He has/had a texture to ligaments in his knee that caused inflammation. It was a condition that was asymptomatic for him until the damage done to the knee by the ACL tear.

If the medical staff says to Gute "eh I still think he's going to be week-to-week the rest of his career" Bakh will be cut. That will be a tough pill for Dave to swallow and most likely means his career is over. If Dave plays next year I guarantee he plays 12 games minimum unless a separate injury occurs 

He was medically cleared to play this year, and he managed to make it ONE game before shutting it down to have another surgery.  How confident are you that he's going to be healthy?  He's a 33 year old offensive tackle with a ton of wear and tear.  No way am I bringing him back on a $40M+ cap hit contract.  LIS, if he wants to convert his base salary into UTBE incentives based on games played, I'm interested.

• Like 1

Less than 2/3 of the game for which we have to play him an additional 20 million. That equates to 30 million for a guy wo plays the whole season. That is an easy pass for me. 

I don't want to hear about any void years because we are still paying him an additional 20 million. That will affect a future cap. With the young talent we have it is looking like we aren't going to be able to pay them all as it is in the future. Using part of that money on a maybe part time player does not make any sense. Especially give Walker has proven more than adequate. 

Draft a guy in round 2 if you find value, develop him and see where we are with extending Walker and Tom in two years. I think Tom is playing at a level where you have to extend him after next year. 

21 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

It’s a heartbreaker. One of the few times you break the no 3rd contract rule for an elite LT with a clean injury history and his knee blows up in practice immediately after signing. He was a huge piece to Rodgers’ endgame here and not having him in those playoff loses left us with a bunch of ‘what ifs?’.  I can’t see any way he stays unless, like you said, it’s for a ridiculous discount which he has no incentive to give. 

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

The late emergence of Walker gives us flexibility here. Ideally we can move on from Bakh and spend that $21mil elsewhere. If this staff views Walker as a top 15LT moving forward, we will move on from Bakh IMO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

The late emergence of Walker gives us flexibility here. Ideally we can move on from Bakh and spend that $21mil elsewhere. If this staff views Walker as a top 15LT moving forward, we will move on from Bakh IMO.

Eh Walker is not Bakh, nor will he ever be. Bakh can't come in at 40m hit no way, but if you can get it to 30 (which is essentially 11 because 19 is locked in) that's a worthy investment for next year.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Yeah, I'm sticking with Walker and then adding another OT in the 2-4th round of the draft.  Bye Bak!

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Eh Walker is not Bakh, nor will he ever be. Bakh can't come in at 40m hit no way, but if you can get it to 30 (which is essentially 11 because 19 is locked in) that's a worthy investment for next year.

I don't think he needs to be Bakh. He seems plenty good enough to win playoff games with in his first year starting. That's... incredible value for the next year. Then he'd play himself into a 2nd contract.

I didn't pay enough attention to Walker, but if he wasn't getting much help and played as well as it seems he did, I think Bakh is almost certainly gone. You don't bench Walker in 2024 for Bakh if he's good.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

But Bakh playing 75% of the snaps with a $40M+ cap hit or Rasheed Walker likely playing 95%+ at just over $1M cap hit is a no-brainer.  And that's assuming a very optimistic outcome for Bakhtiari.

• Like 1