Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Just now, incognito_man said:

Those were our starters for most of the year, so that makes sense. 

Our boundary CBs played wayyyyy above their paychecks and expectations. Huge props there. 

MOF DBs did not.

I got the snap count angle....I'm just not all too impressed by Ballentine's coverage skills.

9 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Those were our starters for most of the year, so that makes sense. 

Our boundary CBs played wayyyyy above their paychecks and expectations. Huge props there. 

MOF DBs did not.

Agreed, they at least 2 new guys for safety/slot corner.  I like Nixon too, but they need options.

Anyone starting to think outside corner isn’t as premium as it used to be?  As long as they are athletic and can run with the receiver?  QBs don’t throw as many contested balls, teams play a lot of zone, guys are schemed open all over the field.  Seems like versatile inside players are the new premium.  

I love that Gute accumulates all these high RAS CBs on the PS, Ballentine being one of them.  

Edited by LacyIsGood

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

We need him to be WR1....or else we need to find that guy.

We've got Wicks/Doubs/Reed/ Watson. If you think of them all as no.2 type receivers (irrespective of whether they play outside or slot) then you can easily do without a true no.1.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LacyIsGood said:

Agreed, they at least 2 new guys for safety/slot corner.  I like Nixon too, but they need options.

Anyone starting to think outside corner isn’t as premium as it used to be?  As long as they are athletic and can run with the receiver?  QBs don’t throw as many contested balls, teams play a lot of zone, guys are schemed open all over the field.  Seems like versatile inside players are the new premium.  

I love that Gute accumulates all these high RAS CBs on the PS, Ballentine being one of them.  

There might be something here. It feels like there's a glut of playmaker talent in the league right now, and OCs recognize it's most efficient to get the ball in their hands coming off motion and/or in space with some blockers and let them beat now-bad-tackling defenders 1v1.

I think we'll see a premium places on back 7 defenders who are consistent tacklers and physical moving forward. 

7 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

We've got Wicks/Doubs/Reed/ Watson. If you think of them all as no.2 type receivers (irrespective of whether they play outside or slot) then you can easily do without a true no.1.

I get the concept...but when/if one or more of these guys goes down (as happened already this season) - lacking Watson (or a true #1) on the field....not optimal. We invested heavily in Watson. I want that investment to pay off.

9 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Plus Musgrave and Kraft.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

At the same end of year press conference last year, LaFleur responded, "I don't anticipate making any staff changes."

There is hope.

? Did he then go on to make changes last year?

More precisely stated....did he relieve anybody of their job (as opposed to filling vacancies due to departures).

Edited by Leader

1 hour ago, Leader said:

IMO:  Bring back the ERFAs.  Do not tender either RFA (lowest is estimated 2.8 million rfr tender), perhaps negotiate a smaller deal for their return after true free agency starts.  Bring back:  Eric Wilson, Corey Ballentine, Jon Owens.

• Like 1