Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

12 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Nope. Would imagine it might be early next week. Doesn't happen in January it probably won't happen though. 

Pettine was let go on Friday after the loss to Tampa. So EOW or early next.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Barton gets you a guy who can play across the O line and is being talked about a lot. However, another choice of player at a similar level is Jackson Powers-Johnson, a 6'3", 320lb center who has also played plenty of guard. He could be a nice fit at any interior position and is not getting the attention Barton is. He has a very good chance to be there early round 2 (at least it seems so, at this time).

Depending on where you look, he or Van Pran are the best centers this year (Frazier is close, as well).

Christian Haynes is another OG/C type worth a look at as well. 

By far the most accurate summation of the 2023 season and look ahead to the future I have seen to date. Everything about it is perfectly said, including both the good/praiseworthy parts, as well as the not-so-good/mistake parts she brings up. 

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

By far the most accurate summation of the 2023 season and look ahead to the future I have seen to date. Everything about it is perfectly said, including both the good/praiseworthy parts, as well as the not-so-good/mistake parts she brings up. 

My one reply to this: in 2024 the QB room will be much cheaper than it was in 2023. Yes, Love's cap hit goes up and will go up with an extension, but the Packers had $45m tied up in their QB room this year (highest in the league) and it didn't hold them back too much. This team still needs a good draft class to content next season, but that could be said about any team in the league. 

2023 can be summarized as a lost opportunity for sure, but Love showed the ability to have the Packers in playoff contention for the next 15 years.

Edited by pgwingman

13 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

My one reply to this: in 2024 the QB room will be much cheaper than it was in 2023. Yes, Love's cap hit goes up and will go up with an extension, but the Packers had $45m tied up in their QB room this year (highest in the league) and it didn't hold them back too much. This team still needs a good draft class to content next season, but that could be said about any team in the league. 

2023 can be summarized as a lost opportunity for sure, but Love showed the ability to have the Packers in playoff contention for the next 15 years.

Most importantly to the F.O., everyone wants to see the packers play next year. Ticket prices going up. Prime time games coming. Jersey sales going hot.

Winning this season is probably close to the point of diminishing returns for all of those things. 

23 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

The major point though is that the biggest window to win is actually right now...starting in 2024. If they re-do Love's contract, the best cap years will be 2024 and probably 2025. After that, Love's cap number likely shoots up and you're back to restructures, further extensions, etc. 

By extending him now, you are opening up a 2-year window where you will probably have the most cap resources. This will probably be even more so in 2025 versus next season. 

In short, call it a "rebuild" or "reload" whatever, but if 2023 was that...it's over now, and Gute needs to be ready to jump right back into "SB mode" next year. Don't waste these next 2 years with Love by leaving other uncertainties on the roster like a 50-50 kicker or a couple of mid-round guys at safety. Find the weaknesses, address them and go for it. Our offense is basically ready to go already and you can add to it in the draft. Needs are: (1) get a real DC, (2) fix the secondary, and (3) probably fix the LS/K positions. That's it. We are close.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Agreed, plus she's fine as hell 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, packfanfb said:

The major point though is that the biggest window to win is actually right now...starting in 2024. If they re-do Love's contract, the best cap years will be 2024 and probably 2025. After that, Love's cap number likely shoots up and you're back to restructures, further extensions, etc. 

By extending him now, you are opening up a 2-year window where you will probably have the most cap resources. This will probably be even more so in 2025 versus next season. 

In short, call it a "rebuild" or "reload" whatever, but if 2023 was that...it's over now, and Gute needs to be ready to jump right back into "SB mode" next year. Don't waste these next 2 years with Love by leaving other uncertainties on the roster like a 50-50 kicker or a couple of mid-round guys at safety. Find the weaknesses, address them and go for it. Our offense is basically ready to go already and you can add to it in the draft. Needs are: (1) get a real DC, (2) fix the secondary, and (3) probably fix the LS/K positions. That's it. We are close.  

I think if you give Love a 6 year extension then the first 3 years (2024 to 2026) can all be very manageable with cap hits of 35m or less.

Agree that after that his cap hits would be 55-60m so any chance to have a larger window would be reliant on how much the cap goes up around that time.

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

So this could be me projecting my own views here, but my bet is that Gute extends Love with a pretty flat contract in terms of spending. I doubt there's two years of low cap hits followed by a huge cap number at the end. If I were Gute I'd make it a percentage of the projected cap. Why have large fluctuations in the spending of the most important asset in the franchise?

Just now, Leader said:

Jaire will be back...which is a good thing. Hopefully 🤞that'll be with a new DC and schemes. 

Yeah. He’s just doing that thing that goofball athletes do where they write posts that can be interpreted multiple ways. For some reason they get off on this. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

So this could be me projecting my own views here, but my bet is that Gute extends Love with a pretty flat contract in terms of spending. I doubt there's two years of low cap hits followed by a huge cap number at the end. If I were Gute I'd make it a percentage of the projected cap. Why have large fluctuations in the spending of the most important asset in the franchise?

that would be an interesting and very unique setup.  feels like making the cap hits a % of the cap limits the flexibility in moving money around

21 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

Because the cap goes up every year? You're closing the most valuable window a football team can have. Elite QB on modest/rookie cap hits.

• Like 1