Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Just now, thrILL! said:

How does pure speculation about rumors of leaks hinder coaches from trying to ascend in their profession by accepting jobs with the Ravens?

The reason why is written in the post you replied nonsense to. 

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

I assume working with Clements, MLF and Love is hitting the jackpot for a guy like Mannion.  MIN never had a chance.

Didnt they bring Clements out of semi-retirement a few years back? Not sure....but if accurate...perhaps he's hearing the call of the rod & reel once again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Didnt they bring Clements out of semi-retirement a few years back? Not sure....but if accurate...perhaps he's hearing the call of the rod & reel once again.

I assume this is part of what is going on.  GB is lucky Clements came back at all.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I assume this is part of what is going on.  GB is lucky Clements came back at all.

And if Love gets any better, he’ll go down as one of the greatest QB coaches of all time. Not that that is an often spoken list, but it’s a nice title to carry in mind.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Leader said:

Didn't they bring Clements out of semi-retirement a few years back? Not sure....but if accurate...perhaps he's hearing the call of the rod & reel once again.

From experience I can tell you that is a strong siren call once you have retired. Just come back from a half-days fishing with one carp, three bream, and a tench, all 21/2 to 4lb, caught in the middle of winter, a beautiful sunny day, calm water and a joy to be on the bankside with little birds (robins) trying to steal my maggots when they think I'm distracted and mallard ducks just, well, ducking....  Can't wait to be out again next week.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

Damnit. Let’s hope not 

But it makes sense no? Clements isnt gonna be around much longer. As Maz said: We were lucky we got him back and for the years we did. As much as anybody (other than AR I guess), he's probably responsible for Love's growth.  So get somebody in the door who can pick up on his techniques / methods....to try to make the switch as seamless as possible. Smart move IMO.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Leader said:

But it makes sense no? Clements isnt gonna be around much longer. As Maz said: We were lucky we got him back and for the years we did. As much as anybody (other than AR I guess), he's probably responsible for Love's growth.  So get somebody in the door who can pick up on his techniques / methods....to try to make the switch as seamless as possible. Smart move IMO.

Would be nice to get on more year with Clements

Maybe Mannion is coming on as the assistant that MLF reportedly tried to hire Orvlosky for last off season?

Edited by Arthur Penske

42 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Would be nice to get on more year with Clements

Maybe Mannion is coming on as the assistant that MLF reportedly tried to hire Orvlosky for last off season?

I think one more year is exactly what GB will get out of Clements.  I don't expect to leave immediately.

8 hours ago, Leader said:

Rodgers played a big part in bringing him back but it was Love that likely benefited the most. If they wanted someone for this season they might have taken someone with a longer coaching resume. Mannion should be in a good place to learn and if he has a good football mind, could climb up the ladder.

Edited by Refugee

51 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

The guy could have folded it up after his first stint from 06-17 and stil been a Packer legend. If Love truly takes another big step this year, Clements will have fingerprints on 3 exceptional QBs’ careers. Also, he helped backups like Matty Flynn maximize their potential. We will definitely see more Clifford this preseason and that will be a fun side story. I think Clements wants this next year just to see if his recent work bears fruit, but whenever he decides to hang it up I hope the Packers HOF is quick to give him his recognition. 

• Like 1