Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Doesn't change a thing for me.  Ja's obviously one of your starting CBs, and unless someone is brought it that outplays him in preseason than Valentine likely has earned the boundary CB position opposite of Jaire Alexander.  I don't hate the idea of Keisean Nixon as your dime CB, but I don't really view him as a nickel corner.  You're probably okay with Eric Stokes as CB5 even if it seems inevitable that he'll get injured.  I'd put it at like a 6 on a 1-10 scale in terms of needs.  Yes, you'd like to address it but it's not a major need.

Stokes is going to be a pro-bowler next year. 

Magic green glasses meme OwO - YouTube

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

If we want to go bargain hunting, I'd love to take a flyer on Isaiah Simmons to play OLB and SS for us. Dude is a freak athlete and I think if you simplify his responsibilities, you might get player. 

Having him learn 2 positions doesn't seem like a simplification. 

Quays 1 OLB and the other one is where Xavier excels. So depth is good but I assume that's what the draft is for.

Just now, HighCalebR said:

Having him learn 2 positions doesn't seem like a simplification. 

Quays 1 OLB and the other one is where Xavier excels. So depth is good but I assume that's what the draft is for.

I'm OK with him learning one. He's a freak and there has to be a football player in there. He's was dominant at Clemson. Figure out what they did with him, keep it simple and let him run and make plays. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I'm OK with him learning one. He's a freak and there has to be a football player in there. He's was dominant at Clemson. Figure out what they did with him, keep it simple and let him run and make plays. 

The Giants had him playing where we'll play Quay. He was pretty good there, see ball get ball. Just don't think he's a good fit with our personnel.

He's just bad in coverage and he apparently doesn't love dealing with the trash Linebackers have to deal with, from what he's said.

Edited by HighCalebR

3 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

The Giants had him playing where we'll play Quay. He was pretty good there, see ball get ball. Just don't think he's a good fit with our personnel 

For the vet minimum, we could figure it out. 

2 hours ago, Chili said:

We're still drafting a corner. Need to add a little depth but also as insurance as Stokes will be a FA next year.

Ya depending on how free agency goes, I bet we draft a CB and a Safety relatively high and probably another safety for some depth.

The Packers coaching staff has finally been announced. The entire S&C staff was let go, not just Gizzi.

LaFleur has really expanded his offensive staff. He probably anticipating some of them getting HC/Coordinator jobs next year and taking some staff with them in the process as well as Clements likely retirement on top of that. Two out of three Offensive quality control assistants from last year is no longer here, it looks like Mannion and White are the new QC assistants but have different titles. Big surprise to see Vrable dropping the WR to fully focus on Passing Game Coordinator which means Mahaffey finally getting his first NFL position coach gig.

All the S&C coaches have degrees in kinesiology, nothing unusual about that except the only S&C coach last year with a degree in kinesiology was Grant Thorne. Now....ALL the new coaches have it. Gizzi, Lovat and Thorne has been around a very long time and their methods might've become a bit dated and some players may have begun to tune them out. That room just needed a bit of spring cleaning and injection of new ideas and voices.

Offensive Coaching Staff

Adam Stenavich – Offensive Coordinator

Luke Butkus – Offensive Line

Tom Clements – Quarterbacks

John Dunn – Tight Ends

Eddie Gordon – Assistant Offensive Line

Rob Grosso – Offensive Quality Control

Connor Lewis – Assistant Quarterbacks

Ryan Mahaffey – Wide Receivers

Sean Mannion – Offensive Assistant

Ben Sirmans – Running Backs

Jason Vrable – Passing Game Coordinator

Myles White – Coaching Assistant (Minority Fellowship)

Defensive Coaching Staff

Jeff Hafley – Defensive Coordinator

Derrick Ansley – Passing Game Coordinator (Defense)

Anthony Campanile – Linebackers/Running Game Coordinator

Wendel Davis – Defensive Quality Control

Ryan Downard – Defensive Backs

Sean Duggan – Defensive Assistant

Vince Oghobaase – Assistant Defensive Line

Anthony Perkins – Defensive Quality Control

Jason Rebrovich – Defensive Line

Special Teams Coaching Staff

Rich Bisaccia – Assistant Head Coach/Special Teams Coordinator

Byron Storer – Assistant Special Teams

Kyle Wilber – Special Teams Quality Control

Strength and Conditioning Staff

Aaron Hill – Strength & Conditioning Coordinator

Marcus Jones – Strength & Conditioning Assistant

Ben Schumacher – Strength & Conditioning Assistant

Edited by Chili
  • Like 1

Tom Silverstein -  Packers got a lot out of Owens last year. They wanted him back but Bears must have outbid them. Given what they're paying McKinney, they're not going to pay a lot for a second safety.

16 minutes ago, Leader said:

Tom Silverstein -  Packers got a lot out of Owens last year. They wanted him back but Bears must have outbid them. Given what they're paying McKinney, they're not going to pay a lot for a second safety.

I think he’s an ideal backup. Seems smart and often around the ball. I wish we had found a way to keep him 😕

4 minutes ago, James Lofton said:

I think he’s an ideal backup. Seems smart and often around the ball. I wish we had found a way to keep him 😕

We aren't going to pay a backup safety more than rookie paycheck though now. Either has to be a mid-tier starter level for a veteran contract or it's going to be a rookie contract guy IMO