Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

On 8/31/2024 at 9:56 AM, Refugee said:

It was a great pick. He obviously knew he wasn’t the only one to have seen the potential because he traded 41, 73 & 83(Favre compensation) to get back to 26. It very much worked out and we still got Lang and a few role players out of the later rounds but would have looked very bad of Clay had busted. TT had some misses, but for a stretch of years he was finding gems early middle and late to help the team. Of course the coaches get credit for developing the players as well. It was good to see Clay give Dom and KG their due. 

It's weird that Gutey's picks feel more impactful. Sure they don't all work out, but he seems to be hitting a lot more. A lot of TT's drafts felt like the 2020 draft minus the Love pick (which was a meh draft if it wasn't for the franchise QB pick)

On 8/31/2024 at 8:59 AM, Chili said:

I had my fantasy draft last night and everyone was avoiding Packers WRs like the plague because no-one had any idea who's #1 or #2 WR.

I took the plunge and grabbed Watson. Happy with that.

My mate who was with me later on picked up Love and I was trying to encourage him to pick Doubs as well to pair with his QB but the fantasy site he was looking at had Reed #1, Watson #2, Doubs #3. Reed was already gone at this point and I was telling him that the fantasy site is wrong but instead he went for DeAndre Hopkins which isn't a bad pick by any means and unfortunately Doubs was taken a round later.

Green Bay isn't where you're wanting to target WRs.  Watson probably has the most TD potential, Doubs probably gets the most targets, and Reed probably has more value in a PPR league.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2024 at 9:56 AM, Refugee said:

It was a great pick. He obviously knew he wasn’t the only one to have seen the potential because he traded 41, 73 & 83(Favre compensation) to get back to 26. It very much worked out and we still got Lang and a few role players out of the later rounds but would have looked very bad of Clay had busted. TT had some misses, but for a stretch of years he was finding gems early middle and late to help the team. Of course the coaches get credit for developing the players as well. It was good to see Clay give Dom and KG their due. 

I mean, Kevin Greene's impact was obvious and I'd venture a guess that most of the Packers' FO and coaching staff realized that.  And Dom Capers is/was a good DC.  The problem is that his defenses simply were "figured out" after a couple of years.  He's a DC you ride for 2/3 years, and then move on.

32 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, Kevin Greene's impact was obvious and I'd venture a guess that most of the Packers' FO and coaching staff realized that.  And Dom Capers is/was a good DC.  The problem is that his defenses simply were "figured out" after a couple of years.  He's a DC you ride for 2/3 years, and then move on.

But the guy was successful at more than one stop. If he's running the same concepts, it should have been figured out after his first stop. 

Successful coaching is also dependent upon talent. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CWood21 said:

To me, Dom Capers was so legendary that I thought Waldo was kidding when he said the exact same thing.

(edit: many years ago while Dom was still with Packers and Waldo was still with us.)

Edited by Uffdaswede

15 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Green Bay isn't where you're wanting to target WRs.  Watson probably has the most TD potential, Doubs probably gets the most targets, and Reed probably has more value in a PPR league.

So draft all three obviously :)

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Does he have a choice but to answer that question in the affirmative? LOL

I hope his confidence is well founded as the season wears on. 

Packers coach Matt LaFleur 'absolutely' confident in rookie kicker Brayden Narveson (nfl.com)

He had a good preseason, just not with us. I’m hoping he can be consistent under 45yds and hits XPs and drops kickoffs inside the 20 in his sleep. Everything else is a bonus. Really hoping we have found our guy and adventures in FG kicking can stop. We’ve got a title to win, can’t be worried about the easy stuff derailing that. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Zycho32 said:

If nothing else, it's a name with a little more kick to it. Probably gonna see a lot of 'Bray's or 'Narvy's in the comments this year.

Or 'Narv-Drop', if you wanna get a little blue.

Save big money at BrayNarvs?  I don’t know but I hope we’re not talking about him too much.  That’s usually a bad thing for a kicker.