Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

Just like Jones, it's all about whether the RB's can stay healthy.  Jacobs and Lloyd should both be monsters in this offense.

I'm just hoping Jacobs doesn't have to be a bell cow. I'd like to see Jacobs and Wilson get a lot of carries, so Jacobs is fresh the whole year and into the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

Just like Jones, it's all about whether the RB's can stay healthy.  Jacobs and Lloyd should both be monsters in this offense.

I think so too but Lloyd has to prove it at this level including that he can stay healthy. Losing AJD and now Wilson and Lloyd probably question marks before game one is tough but not insurmountable. Hopefully just short term but you need a few quality RBs to get through a season. 

1 hour ago, Refugee said:

Shed a tear for Aaron Jones. I’d bet he was responsible for a bunch of those. Send a cheer for Josh Jacobs. He might just be something special in this offense. 

Dillon had our longest run but yeah that was Jones' role but our run scheme is very good as well.

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

I'm just hoping Jacobs doesn't have to be a bell cow. I'd like to see Jacobs and Wilson get a lot of carries, so Jacobs is fresh the whole year and into the playoffs. 

I think I'm ok with him being a bellcow for 2-3 weeks until Lloyd is ready to spell him

• Like 2

5 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

We were top 1/3rd of the league in 20+ yard runs on middle 1/3rd rush attempts. And had 4.3 ypc, good for top 1/3rd again.

I dont understand where this notion the Packers are bad at running the ball is coming from.

https://www.nfl.com/stats/team-stats/offense/rushing/2023/reg/all

Bad, good, and average are three different things.  I didn't suggest bad.  I expect average.  I don't understand where the notion that the Packers will be excellent is coming from?  I'd love it if it happened, but my guess is we'll be somewhere within random-scatter of the middle.  Last year 18th in total yards, 12th in ypc.  Right in the average clump.  I hope it's better this year, and every year is fresh, so why not be better, that would be really fun.  But I'd tend to default towards being variably middle-of-the-pack, with random scatter and standard deviation and all of that.  

I am hopeful, though.  Will Rhyan make a difference?  Will Jacobs and Lloyd be better than Jones and Dillon?  Will pass-set-up-run, with Love and the receivers being so good that defenses will prioritize pass, and be OK tolerating 4.6 ypc running?  

9 minutes ago, craig said:

Bad, good, and average are three different things.  I didn't suggest bad.  I expect average.  I don't understand where the notion that the Packers will be excellent is coming from?  I'd love it if it happened, but my guess is we'll be somewhere within random-scatter of the middle.  Last year 18th in total yards, 12th in ypc.  Right in the average clump.  I hope it's better this year, and every year is fresh, so why not be better, that would be really fun.  But I'd tend to default towards being variably middle-of-the-pack, with random scatter and standard deviation and all of that.  

I am hopeful, though.  Will Rhyan make a difference?  Will Jacobs and Lloyd be better than Jones and Dillon?  Will pass-set-up-run, with Love and the receivers being so good that defenses will prioritize pass, and be OK tolerating 4.6 ypc running?  

Run run pass punt suggests bad. Cant gain 1 yard on 3rd and 1 suggests bad.

Total yards mean **** all as long as we move the ball and score points, which we did.

Were a lot closer to excellent than bad.

Rhyan has shown to be a difference maker in the run game. Its not about better, its about healthier. Jones was very good, if we get that kind of production but Jacobs is consistently on the field we're in a better spot. Theyll work together PA pass is huge for us. 

Edited by HighCalebR
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Run run pass punt suggests bad. Cant gain 1 yard on 3rd and 1 suggests bad.

Total yards mean **** all as long as we move the ball and score points, which we did.

Were a lot closer to excellent than bad.

Agree, but it's a new year and I'd love to start out right by kicking the Eagles and that smug ******* Siriani's ***. 

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Agree, but it's a new year and I'd love to start out right by kicking the Eagles and that smug ******* Siriani's ***. 

Ditto but they have one of the best DL's in football.  Going to be tough sledding on Fri.  MLF will have to pass to set up the run in this one.  

HC, "as long as we move the ball and score points, which we did", good-pass teams do that all the time. That doesn't mean our run-game was more than ~ average, or that it will be more than average. 

I'd love the run-game to be excellent, who wouldn't? 

But if the passing game is excellent, we can win a lot of games even if the run-game isn't much more than average.  

28 minutes ago, craig said:

HC, "as long as we move the ball and score points, which we did", good-pass teams do that all the time. That doesn't mean our run-game was more than ~ average, or that it will be more than average. 

I'd love the run-game to be excellent, who wouldn't? 

But if the passing game is excellent, we can win a lot of games even if the run-game isn't much more than average.  

But we were moving it on the ground at a good clip. The YPC bears that out. The run and pass in any good offense works together. Moreso with MLF, our chunk plays are largely based around PA.

I dont think its going to be excellent, you reference it as if it were bad. Its not bad. You act as if we cant pick up a yard. Or that we cant lean on it at times. And then rebuke the idea that that would somehow be categorized as bad. What is bad if that isnt?

I think we're a capable run team. Never inferred excellence. I dont believe we're going to be great. Its a passing league and that should 100% be priority, but top 1/3rd of the league in per carry and chunk plays on the ground cant be categorized as anything but good or above average.

yeah if you think theyre going to be slightly above average i have no problem with that opinion. Its the heh heh run the ball like **** heh heh post that i tool umbrage with obviously considering thats what i quoted.

Edited by HighCalebR

41 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Ditto but they have one of the best DL's in football.  Going to be tough sledding on Fri.  MLF will have to pass to set up the run in this one.  

No more Cox at least. And the edge dudes arent world beaters but Carter/Davis aint no joke.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Well. I dont think he can do anything but well see what happens.

I'm guessing that conversation was, "Hey Ryan do you want to come in for about 2-3 weeks and then sit on the bench after that...?"

Tannehill, "No thanks."

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Interesting.  Pelissero is saying the exact opposite.

This makes more sense. No way Gute trades for Willis and then they don't play him. Would basically make him look like an idiot.

• Like 1