Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

It's a shame.  All those long runs called back.  What we had yesterday was QB rushing stats.  It was tougher sledding on the ground, for yards.  But, it's as much about attempts, especially early, as it was yards.  We wore them down a little bit and if only those long runs didn't get called back.....  

3.3 ypc for our RB's.  96 yards.

9.5 ypc for Reed.  19 yards.

12.2 ypc for Willis.  73 yards.

Just looking at Jacobs, I don't know that he didn't have as many yards called back as he gained all game.

3 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Sure, maybe Gute has found an adequate QB2, but why aren't the Packers 7th and 8th OL starting caliber players like every other team has?

I’m actually hoping Dillard has some redemption story if called upon. But then I remember his camp and majority of preseason and I go back to hoping that call never needs to happen. We still have a swing tackle who has plenty of starts and that experience does count for something. 

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

It's a shame.  All those long runs called back.  What we had yesterday was QB rushing stats.  It was tougher sledding on the ground, for yards.  But, it's as much about attempts, especially early, as it was yards.  We wore them down a little bit and if only those long runs didn't get called back.....  

3.3 ypc for our RB's.  96 yards.

9.5 ypc for Reed.  19 yards.

12.2 ypc for Willis.  73 yards.

Just looking at Jacobs, I don't know that he didn't have as many yards called back as he gained all game.

Just imagine this offense if we can get those penalties cleaned up and Love comes back. Might be an offense that only gets stopped when they stop themselves. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Just imagine this offense if we can get those penalties cleaned up and Love comes back. Might be an offense that only gets stopped when they stop themselves. 

That is the hope and what we saw brewing  last year. Really we just need to OL to be a machine and of course QB1 healthy and I think it could come together. Love can still grow his game especially in the diagnostics of the different defenses that will get thrown at him. If we unlock a few levels this season, we will be a top unit. Couple that with hope the defense gets stronger and especially if they are put in positions by the offense where we can get after the QB and the ball, look out. Just need our guy to get healthy right now. 

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

It's frightening just how good it could be.

Our WR's aren't even scratching the surface of what they can do right now.

Running game is clicking, only penalties are "holding" them back.  (Sorry for the pun.)

My only wish is that we had a better power running game on third and short or 4'th and short.  No misdirection stuff, just pure power to impose a will on the other team.  Oh, and I wish we had a better red zone offense in general.  We tend to stink when there isn't a lot of green to work with, possibly because our power plays just aren't there yet.

• Like 2

Tucker Kraft.  Said it before, I'll say it again.  Are there 5 other all around TE's that are clearly better than he is?  Or am I letting my green and gold glasses sway me.

Because he makes our run game cook.  He's a fast tight end.  He's powerful with the ball.  I just dig the guy.

And he just does the dirty work.  Luke tried and should press charges on the guy that mugged him into the running back.  

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

It's frightening just how good it could be.

Our WR's aren't even scratching the surface of what they can do right now.

Running game is clicking, only penalties are "holding" them back.  (Sorry for the pun.)

My only wish is that we had a better power running game on third and short or 4'th and short.  No misdirection stuff, just pure power to impose a will on the other team.  Oh, and I wish we had a better red zone offense in general.  We tend to stink when there isn't a lot of green to work with, possibly because our power plays just aren't there yet.

Those two go hand in hand IMO. Having the threat of the run in the red zone tends to open up the passing lanes. Being able to run in the red zone opens everything up. 

Just now, vegas492 said:

Tucker Kraft.  Said it before, I'll say it again.  Are there 5 other all around TE's that are clearly better than he is?  Or am I letting my green and gold glasses sway me.

Because he makes our run game cook.  He's a fast tight end.  He's powerful with the ball.  I just dig the guy.

And he just does the dirty work.  Luke tried and should press charges on the guy that mugged him into the running back.  

He can't have plays like the easy drop which would have moved the chains and ends the game. Having said that, I refer to him as a baby Kittle. That is who he reminds me of. 

I can't put him there yet, but he's making it tough to keep him out of the top 5 IMO. His blocking is elite for sure though.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Those two go hand in hand IMO. Having the threat of the run in the red zone tends to open up the passing lanes. Being able to run in the red zone opens everything up. 

And our red zone running game isn't there yet.  Too many bodies and angles for all this misdirection stuff, right now.  It will come around, but until then, I'd like to see us work on a few pure power plays with some window dressing around it.  Make it easier on the line.

20 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

He can't have plays like the easy drop which would have moved the chains and ends the game. Having said that, I refer to him as a baby Kittle. That is who he reminds me of. 

I can't put him there yet, but he's making it tough to keep him out of the top 5 IMO. His blocking is elite for sure though.  

Baby Kittle is pretty perfect to me.  Though I feel like he moves better and hits better on the run than Kittle.  Could be wrong about that.

There are probably a lot of young TEs out there that are used similarly, but since I don't follow all the teams, I don't know them too well.  LaPorta comes to mind as another very good, young, tight end.   I'm sure there are others, but I'm darned happy we double dipped at that position that year in the draft!

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

...Running game is clicking, only penalties are "holding" them back.  (Sorry for the pun.)

My only wish is that we had a better power running game on third and short or 4'th and short.  ...

The volume of penalties is striking.  Don't think MLF teams have normally been high-penalty teams in the second half?  I think that will settle down.  Last year, though, my imperfect recall is that we had tons of penalties in the first several games then, too.  

Hopefully the power and short-yardage run game gets better, as you say.  Also possible that we'll have an outstanding running game overall, but  short-yardage may remain a niche area where we won't excel.  If so, maybe attack in different ways, a lot of good offenses aren't great at absolutely everything.