Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

25 minutes ago, Leader said:

Agree with this. It is a problem and it’s costing us games or affecting our strategies during the game. For a team that hopes to go places, it’s an odd “impediment” to go unaddressed.

Exactly. It's not something I want in the back of my head come January and hopefully February. 

2 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Are we talking about Nervouson's kickoffs?  You haven't watched many kickoffs if you haven't seen him reach the end zone.

you think it's by design he's reaching the -1?

I find it concerning that when we're up 18-20+, as we were the majority of the game, he wasn't kicking it deep.  Watching him kick off, he looks like he's exerting himself to the max.  But the ball doesn't go very far at all.

His 40-ish yard kicks that he does get a chance to kick are on their way to being short from 53.

My diagnosis is very poor leg strength, and the fade on his kicks is exacerbated because he has very poor ball speed.

For the most part, he's missing right after kicks that start within the uprights fade too far.

4 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

you think it's by design he's reaching the -1?

I find it concerning that when we're up 18-20+, as we were the majority of the game, he wasn't kicking it deep.  Watching him kick off, he looks like he's exerting himself to the max.  But the ball doesn't go very far at all.

His 40-ish yard kicks that he does get a chance to kick are on their way to being short from 53.

My diagnosis is very poor leg strength, and the fade on his kicks is exacerbated because he has very poor ball speed.

For the most part, he's missing right after kicks that start within the uprights fade too far.

Yes, I think it is 100% by design that his kicks are landing right at the goal line.  Your diagnosis is wrong.

23 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I feel like we go through this every year lol

Someone always thinks it's the kicker

This is the first year I really agree with the strategy. Moving the touchback up to the 30 yard line and the kickoff realignment both favor kicking it short of the goal line because most teams are able to get down and make contact in the 20-25 area. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

This is the first year I really agree with the strategy. Moving the touchback up to the 30 yard line and the kickoff realignment both favor kicking it short of the goal line because most teams are able to get down and make contact in the 20-25 area. 

I'm hoping the league moves the touchback line to the 35 next season.  KO returns are good for the game.

7 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I'm hoping the league moves the touchback line to the 35 next season.  KO returns are good for the game.

I'm hoping they eliminate kickers all together. No FGs, no PATs. All two point conversions after TD's but you only get 1 point. If you need to punt has to be out of shotgun and the quarterback has to do it. 

After a TD the other team gets the ball at the 20. 

Take down the FG posts so no obstructed views for those sitting in the endzone. 

Saves three roster spots, plus the spots that are designated for guys who only play special teams.  

Edited by Old Guy

23 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I'm hoping they eliminate kickers all together. No FGs, no PATs. All two point conversions after TD's but you only get 1 point. If you need to punt has to be out of shotgun and the quarterback has to do it. 

After a TD the other team gets the ball at the 20. 

Take down the FG posts so no obstructed views for those sitting in the endzone. 

Saves three roster spots, plus the spots that are designated for guys who only play special teams.  

This isn't hope, it's a fantasy.