Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

1 hour ago, freak_of_nature said:

My forearms are huge (8" wrists), but for some reason they're are my weak link in deadlifting. I can't do ant type of competitive weight because of it. 

I'm doing more pullups the past couple years, and I tried grip exercises where I did deadlifts with 1,2,3,4, then 5-fingered hook grips. It helped a little bit.

I had pretty severe tendinitis in my left forearm so I have to go easy with the grip stuff.

Grab a $10 set of straps, worth every penny.

IMO folks should use straps with heavier deads as you shouldn't be worried about your grip potentially failing and crapping out on your form.  

As far as just grip, farmers walk ftw.

13 hours ago, freak_of_nature said:

My forearms are huge (8" wrists), but for some reason they're are my weak link in deadlifting. I can't do ant type of competitive weight because of it. 

I'm doing more pullups the past couple years, and I tried grip exercises where I did deadlifts with 1,2,3,4, then 5-fingered hook grips. It helped a little bit.

I haven't mustered up the courage for the fingered hook grips.  I do want to start one arm DLs though.

23 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Some my buddy who is yoked as hell just posted to facebook an article about the Keto lifestyle. I read a bit, but before investing hours of my time researching can you all tell me if science has already disproved this diet?

It has some benefits but it's a pain in the arse.

No carbs.

There are carbs in beer, pizza, Nutella, everything wonderful in life.

No thanks.

14 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Some my buddy who is yoked as hell just posted to facebook an article about the Keto lifestyle. I read a bit, but before investing hours of my time researching can you all tell me if science has already disproved this diet?

Well I can't tell you what the science says, apart from that it supposedly can cure epilepsy and Alzheimer's. However, having done it for 6 months, I can confirm that it works well if trying to lose weight/fat. I'm assuming it's just a way of putting you into a deficit and/or driving water out - but I dropped weight like a skirt. Maybe , as a natural big guy, I am sensitive to carbs and cutting them out helped (or maybe it was just a cal def), but yeah; noticeably fast and effective. I wouldn't bother if bulking.

4 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Well I can't tell you what the science says, apart from that it supposedly can cure epilepsy and Alzheimer's. However, having done it for 6 months, I can confirm that it works well if trying to lose weight/fat. I'm assuming it's just a way of putting you into a deficit and/or driving water out - but I dropped weight like a skirt. Maybe , as a natural big guy, I am sensitive to carbs and cutting them out helped (or maybe it was just a cal def), but yeah; noticeably fast and effective. I wouldn't bother if bulking.

Most people are sensitive to carbs and become insulin resistant so this is a great way to improve insulin sensitivity.

1 minute ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Do you become even more sensitive to carbs after a period of keto, or is that one of those "tales"?

No you handle carbs much better after keto.  The goal is to become insulin sensitive.  If you keep eating carbs at a rate your liver cannot keep up with it pumps out too much insulin and you become resistant to the insulin.  The goal is to be insulin sensitive because nutrients then get shuttled to the muscles instead of fat cells.

3 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

No you handle carbs much better after keto.  The goal is to become insulin sensitive.  If you keep eating carbs at a rate your liver cannot keep up with it pumps out too much insulin and you become resistant to the insulin.  The goal is to be insulin sensitive because nutrients then get shuttled to the muscles instead of fat cells.

right. But, when you're more insulin sensitive, are you more prone to fat gain if you do eat them? Spikes etc...?