Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

3 minutes ago, Geek said:

Form>>>>> anything else. As long as you got the form right then ignore all the other ****. If you keep good form you'll be back to the straight bar in a couple weeks. 

Honestly I think half of this is from carrying around my 2 kids all day. My lower back has had some issues, along with my shoulder for the last little bit.

#gettingold

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

First time I've deadlifted in a while, and I'm HURTING today. My lower back/legs are killing me. I've always deadlifted with a straight bar, but I may finally wuss out and use the hex bar. I feel like my technique is slipping and I may need to go back to the hex and get it down again. I'm embarrassed.

I've got back issues too, so I know the struggle.

Form is key, for sure, so is keeping your sets/reps within reason. You can't do a 10 set deadlift workout and expect to feel good.

3-4 sets, 2-6 reps is usually where I'm at for deadlifts. High reps can be bad IMO, real easy to goof on your form when you're exhausted.

8 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I've got back issues too, so I know the struggle.

Form is key, for sure, so is keeping your sets/reps within reason. You can't do a 10 set deadlift workout and expect to feel good.

3-4 sets, 2-6 reps is usually where I'm at for deadlifts. High reps can be bad IMO, real easy to goof on your form when you're exhausted.

Yeah, I tried a 5x5 yesterday. The first 3 sets felt GREAT. My fourth set I started feeling not so great, and if I had to bet, I'd say that's when my form started slipping. I could be wrong though. I'm giving it another day to see whether maybe I just got a great lift in or whether I did something wrong in terms of technique.

• Like 1

Just now, MWil23 said:

Yeah, I tried a 5x5 yesterday. The first 3 sets felt GREAT. My fourth set I started feeling not so great, and if I had to bet, I'd say that's when my form started slipping. I could be wrong though. I'm giving it another day to see whether maybe I just got a great lift in or whether I did something wrong in terms of technique.

Yeah, i can't do 5 quality sets any more, I'll be paying for it the next day.

Try mixing in some barbel rows and pull-ups with a few sets of deads and your back will be toast.

Rack pulls and deficit deads are a nice change of pace too.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah, i can't do 5 quality sets any more, I'll be paying for it the next day.

Try mixing in some barbel rows and pull-ups with a few sets of deads and your back will be toast.

Rack pulls and deficit deads are a nice change of pace too.

Thanks, I'll try it!

• Like 1

I've been doing a 6 days a week lifting routine for some time now and  haven't really progressed with it, mostly diet related I think. Anyway, I'm struggling with staying motivation, my mind just doesn't seem as in it, anyone have any recommended routines that are 3 or 4 days a week? I'm thinking fewer days and more dedicated rest days might be beneficial too, possibly help kill appetite some. 

12 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

I've been doing a 6 days a week lifting routine for some time now and  haven't really progressed with it, mostly diet related I think. Anyway, I'm struggling with staying motivation, my mind just doesn't seem as in it, anyone have any recommended routines that are 3 or 4 days a week? I'm thinking fewer days and more dedicated rest days might be beneficial too, possibly help kill appetite some. 

Upper/lower twice a week is one option.

Back/biceps, chest/tris, legs, shoulders/abs is another.

I like the upper/lower split personally.  

23 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

If you're lifting 3 days a week, doing full body workouts, on/off, will be the most beneficial to you.  You'll have 2 days off in a row, at the end of your rotation.  

Edited by jyod21

9 hours ago, MWil23 said:

First time I've deadlifted in a while, and I'm HURTING today. My lower back/legs are killing me. I've always deadlifted with a straight bar, but I may finally wuss out and use the hex bar. I feel like my technique is slipping and I may need to go back to the hex and get it down again. I'm embarrassed.

There you go.

4 hours ago, freak_of_nature said:

Whenever I get back into deadlifting, I always have to lie on my back for 5-10 minutes immediately afterwards. I feel a lot better and it doesn't linger as much in the upcoming days.

Doing pull-ups has a similar effect of letting everything stretch out, at least for me.

21 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Doing pull-ups has a similar effect of letting everything stretch out, at least for me.

Yea i do something like this to stretch before deadlifts. I start in pull-up position but instead of actually pulling up I just kinda lets myself hang there and let my own weight stretch out my back. You'll feel it right in the small of your back. It's a nice stretch before doing anything that requires your lower back.

14 minutes ago, Geek said:

Yea i do something like this to stretch before deadlifts. I start in pull-up position but instead of actually pulling up I just kinda lets myself hang there and let my own weight stretch out my back. You'll feel it right in the small of your back. It's a nice stretch before doing anything that requires your lower back.

I do it before and after, it really does help.

Usually pull-ups and then hanging, one before, one after.

Deadlifts are a wonderful exercise, but they do put a lot of wear and tear on the body.

My forearms are huge (8" wrists), but for some reason they're are my weak link in deadlifting. I can't do ant type of competitive weight because of it. 

I'm doing more pullups the past couple years, and I tried grip exercises where I did deadlifts with 1,2,3,4, then 5-fingered hook grips. It helped a little bit.