Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

Halfway through and he makes a lot of good points especially when it comes to a sport.  However it's tough to apply everything to weight lifting.  It all comes down to the statement IT DEPENDS.  I do like that Flow state thing though.

When it comes to exercise you want to be Thomas the Tank, always chugging along at 80% or an 8 RPE.  There will be days where you can go "beast mode" and there will be days where you suck but the majority of your training should be in that 7-8 RPE.  He's correct and you cannot beast mode every day.  If you are beast moding every day then aren't training hard enough.

But when it comes to a Squat or Deadlift, especially deadlift, you need to rest.  If you are doing deadlifts you cannot do this every day.  And you won't get stronger doing singles at 70% RM.  I know many people who get stronger in DL by taking a break whether its the CNS recovering or lower back recovering.

The best success I have is alternating between periods (3 week max for me) of high volume and high intensity.  If I wanted to be a better fighter it's technical so you don't go all out and you can train that everyday. If I want to improve my Olympic lifts I would do them every day at a low intensity because it is TECHNICAL.  Once my technique is better then I can increase the intensity(weight).  If I want to get better at Squat or Deadlift you want a higher intensity to get stronger.

I started trying a couple of C4 on the go's for my pre and they were pretty good. I liked the watermelon. So I bought C4 Ultimate Watermelon. I had my first serving before my HIIT training last night. I was good until about 2 hours later I felt super nauseous. I got sick a few times just to feel better, but the nausea remained until I went to bed. I took the can C4's on an empty stomach and was fine. The ultimate no so much. I just took 1 scoop as recommended. Did I just waste 30 bucks? 

13 minutes ago, twslhs20 said:

I started trying a couple of C4 on the go's for my pre and they were pretty good. I liked the watermelon. So I bought C4 Ultimate Watermelon. I had my first serving before my HIIT training last night. I was good until about 2 hours later I felt super nauseous. I got sick a few times just to feel better, but the nausea remained until I went to bed. I took the can C4's on an empty stomach and was fine. The ultimate no so much. I just took 1 scoop as recommended. Did I just waste 30 bucks? 

I've used c4 a lot and had no issues. I always took it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.

I'm taking a keto preworkout supplement that's basically c4 with bhb salts and mct's. 

A little update on me:

Beginning in late October, I came down with diabetic ketoacidosis. Should've seen a Dr when my body started feeling weird and when I never got my strength back after my last fast. I usually do 25 reps of 225. In mid November it was 2 reps.

I was in the hospital for 3 days in early December.(The ICU for the first night). Because I felt like a I was going pass out sometimes, could never drink enough fluids, and felt really tired and always peeing. Very dry-mouthed too. I was so out of breath after walking up the stairs to the ER receptonist, I could've even talk to her to explain my situation. I had to wait a few minutes to speak.

Last week was my first day back in the gym and I did 6 reps of 225, and could've went to 8.

Even though I'm technically a diabetic now, the diabetic ketoacidosis brought me from 275ish to 240lb in a few weeks. A lot of fat was flushed off me with the waterwegiht.

A few weeks later now I'm at 250 lb, filled out again, and look pretty good. Lost 6-in off my waistline total.

So now I'm a fulltime Keto guy. I'll be off my insulin soon and on pills for a month maybe. Within a year, I hope to have my insulin sesnetivity back. My blood sugar is pretty normal now.

4 minutes ago, freak_of_nature said:

A little update on me:

Beginning in late October, I came down with diabetic ketoacidosis. Should've seen a Dr when my body started feeling weird and when I never got my strength back after my last fast. I usually do 25 reps of 225. In mid November it was 2 reps.

I was in the hospital for 3 days in early December.(The ICU for the first night). Because I felt like a I was going pass out sometimes, could never drink enough fluids, and felt really tired and always peeing. Very dry-mouthed too. I was so out of breath after walking up the stairs to the ER receptonist, I could've even talk to her to explain my situation. I had to wait a few minutes to speak.

Last week was my first day back in the gym and I did 6 reps of 225, and could've went to 8.

Even though I'm technically a diabetic now, the diabetic ketoacidosis brought me from 275ish to 240lb in a few weeks. A lot of fat was flushed off me with the waterwegiht.

A few weeks later now I'm at 250 lb, filled out again, and look pretty good. Lost 6-in off my waistline total.

So now I'm a fulltime Keto guy. I'll be off my insulin soon and on pills for a month maybe. Within a year, I hope to have my insulin sesnetivity back. My blood sugar is pretty normal now.

Glad to see you're doing well!

I would ask Doc about fish oil, carnitine, chromium, magnesium glycinate

4 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Glad to see you're doing well!

I would ask Doc about fish oil, carnitine, chromium, magnesium glycinate

My Dr really wants me to do the research, figure it out, and do what works. I've been supplementing with minerals and fishoil. The first 2 weeks after the hospital was me eating only 500 cals of food  everyday- high fat, no carbs. It took just 10-14 days to bring my blood sugar from 300-ish close to 100. (~100 is normal)

The American Diabetic Association recommends like 60g of carbs per meal, 4 times per day with insulin before each meal. It's almost a bad joke.No wonder many Type 2 diabetics stay on insulin forever.

2 hours ago, freak_of_nature said:

My Dr really wants me to do the research, figure it out, and do what works. I've been supplementing with minerals and fishoil. The first 2 weeks after the hospital was me eating only 500 cals of food  everyday- high fat, no carbs. It took just 10-14 days to bring my blood sugar from 300-ish close to 100. (~100 is normal)

The American Diabetic Association recommends like 60g of carbs per meal, 4 times per day with insulin before each meal. It's almost a bad joke.No wonder many Type 2 diabetics stay on insulin forever.

Just make sure you’re checking your glucose regularly.

If your glucose is elevated and you’re pissing ketones, you’re likely headed towards DKA.

On 1/20/2019 at 10:16 AM, freak_of_nature said:

I've used c4 a lot and had no issues. I always took it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.

I'm taking a keto preworkout supplement that's basically c4 with bhb salts and mct's. 

So my body is weird. Cool

On 1/20/2019 at 12:05 PM, freak_of_nature said:

A little update on me:

Sorry to hear that, but glad to hear that you're recovering.

I feel like I've been pretty dry-mouthed lately, too.  Ive been drinking a lot of water, and of course a lot of peeing as a result.  But, I definitely don't feel lethargic.  What did they do to you at the hospital to figure out what was going on?

I am concerned slightly of the dry mouth because I was overweight for a long time and was on that pre-diabetic path, but after losing significant weight recently.  I got re-tested a couple of months back, and the sugars/glucose were looking good, according to my doc.  I've only since lost more weight and kept up the same training.

Edited by jonu62882

On 1/20/2019 at 3:06 PM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Just make sure you’re checking your glucose regularly.

If your glucose is elevated and you’re pissing ketones, you’re likely headed towards DKA.

What's an accurate at-home method for someone like myself to check glucose?  Also, how would you check to see about pissing ketones?

2 hours ago, jonu62882 said:

What's an accurate at-home method for someone like myself to check glucose? 

A glucometer is used to test blood glucose.  Plenty of different brands.  Unless you’re diabetic it’s kind of unnecessary though.

2 hours ago, jonu62882 said:

Also, how would you check to see about pissing ketones?

Ketone test strips.  You can find them with the diabetic supplies at a grocery store or pharmacy.  There’s also a machine that tests for ketones in your blood and one that’s like a breathalyzer iirc. 

The test strips are the easiest and cheapest, you just pee on the stick, wait 15 seconds and read the level.

5 hours ago, jonu62882 said:

Sorry to hear that, but glad to hear that you're recovering.

I feel like I've been pretty dry-mouthed lately, too.  Ive been drinking a lot of water, and of course a lot of peeing as a result.  But, I definitely don't feel lethargic.  What did they do to you at the hospital to figure out what was going on?

I am concerned slightly of the dry mouth because I was overweight for a long time and was on that pre-diabetic path, but after losing significant weight recently.  I got re-tested a couple of months back, and the sugars/glucose were looking good, according to my doc.  I've only since lost more weight and kept up the same training.

The drymouth, pissing and excessive fluid intake come first. The extreme lethargy and tiredness comes later. It might be a 2-month process. I've probably been teetering on pre-diabetes for many years. If you're still training and haven't lost any strength, that's probably a good sign.

Instead of having to buy a glucose meter and strips and the pricker, I'd go to a nearby walk-in clinic and see if they can do a test on you cheaply. Do it fast.

I can't remember what they did specifically at the hospital. With my symptoms and my weight, I'm sure they went immediately to the diabetes test. But do whatever you can before you potentially fall into that condition.

Edited by freak_of_nature