Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

On 12/13/2018 at 11:32 PM, Sugashane said:

Just saw this, great job man!

Thanks, man!  Appreciate the help. I didn’t think something as simple as pushing and pulling your body weight and dieting can help get you in shape.  I like that it didn’t take much to get me started and see actual results.  I didn’t need a gym membership or a bunch of weights and a bench.  But, I probably will now as I progress and I want to get stronger/build mass.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about to try keto just for shiggles and see how my body reacts.  What am I in for?  The biggest reason I want to try it is because I don't think I'm getting enough protein because I always get lazy in preparation.  I figure if I switch to keto, I'll be forced to eat more protein. 

I've got a few recipes lines up to start and I'll be snacking purely on homemade jerky.  I'll also be cutting out beer completely and switching to vodka and tonics. 

Any other suggestions?  Anything I should know before I start? 

Just now, Heimdallr said:

I'm not sure what your goals are, but if you are trying to cut, avoid tonic. SO many calories. 

By tonic I meant those super healthy aspartame-flavored drinks with no carbs, calories or anything.  Those plus carbonated waters.  Like La Croix.  And I actually still want to gain weight if possible. 

My entire goal is to force myself to get more protein.  I'm not trying to lose weight by any means, I just flat out don't get enough protein because I don't like taking the time to prepare meats. 

Edited by Outpost31

21 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Any other suggestions?  Anything I should know before I start?

eggs, bacon, cheese, olives, most nuts

they will be your friends, super calorie dense, just check the labels on things like olives and nuts, don't be a dummy and buy the caramel-coated ones and lie to yourself

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

My entire goal is to force myself to get more protein.  I'm not trying to lose weight by any means, I just flat out don't get enough protein because I don't like taking the time to prepare meats. 

All the best, most-tested and relevant science says anything more than 0.7-ish grams per pound of bodyweight is unnecessary, you can get that far easier than you probably realize

Just now, cddolphin said:

eggs, bacon, cheese, olives, most nuts

they will be your friends, super calorie dense, just check the labels on things like olives and nuts, don't be a dummy and buy the caramel-coated ones and lie to yourself

I was looking at nuts on keto and I've been seeing people saying you should really only go macadamia, Brazil and pecans.  How true is this? 

Just now, Outpost31 said:

I was looking at nuts on keto and I've been seeing people saying you should really only go macadamia, Brazil and pecans.  How true is this? 

I don't know, because I'm not strictly no-carb I just minimize them, I don't believe almonds or sunflower seeds (my most common choices) have any carbs in them at all.

You might find more success weening yourself off carbs than a hard reset anyway. I tried it twice and failed within a week each time. Now I'm probably under 30-40g per day roughly, that's about 5/6 days a week, sometimes I will fail. I still want to decrease but I like beans.

All the best, most-tested and relevant science says anything more than 0.7-ish grams per pound of bodyweight is unnecessary, you can get that far easier than you probably realize

I'm honestly probably not even getting that is the thing though. 

I get about 10 for breakfast. 
40 for my protein shake.
Probably 20 for lunch.
20 for second lunch.
Then probably 40 from dinner and seeds after work. 

I'm somewhere between 215-230 pounds. 

It's my two meals at work that I really struggle with since I usually just pack sandwiches. 

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I'm honestly probably not even getting that is the thing though. 

I get about 10 for breakfast. 
40 for my protein shake.
Probably 20 for lunch.
20 for second lunch.
Then probably 40 from dinner and seeds after work. 

I'm somewhere between 215-230 pounds. 

So if you need let's say 160 grams, you're already at 130.

Choke down 3-4 hardboiled eggs and a handful of nuts and you've made up the difference with virtually no prep and a low cost.

So if you need let's say 160 grams, you're already at 130.

Choke down 3-4 hardboiled eggs and a handful of nuts and you've made up the difference with virtually no prep and a low cost.

Eh, I'm still curious to see how I'll respond to keto, and I need to draw lines in the sand to stick to something or else I'll just revert back to where I was. 

I'm also slightly interested in cutting fat.  Before my surgery I was in the 13-15% body fat area, and now I'm probably closer to that 16-19% range. 

There are a bunch of reasons for me trying it.  Getting more protein is the biggest, but it's also the challenge factor, the fat percentage factor, the fact that I'm sick of sandwiches and I need a reason to stop drinking a six pack of beer each night after work.