New Coordinators(If Needed)

vikings209

As the contract of Eagles quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo expires and the Eagles prevent him from interviewing with the Vikings until the contract officially concludes next week, Philadelphia may end up getting exactly what it may want. And here’s what Philly may want: To make DeFilippo the team’s next offensive coordinator.

DeFilippo, as of next week, will be able to go wherever he wants, or to stay where he is. Unless the Eagles are keeping him from interviewing this week for what would be a promotion out of spite, there’s a strategic reason for the recalcitrance. And that reason could be that they hope the extra time will result in the situation breaking their way.

Some in league circles believe that, between offensive coordinator Frank Reich and DeFilippo, the Eagles would rather keep the latter. With Reich’s name emerging as a candidate for the head-coaching job in Indianapolis, Reich getting the gig would solve the problem.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/07/eagles-seem-to-be-trying-to-find-a-way-to-keep-defilippo/

i guess what this comparison doesn't consider though is that at Minny he would be calling the plays, and designing them. not so in Philly.

we shall see....

I really want a OC that deals with QB’s somewhat. All of them have experience besides Campbell. He is just a hard nosed leader.

We hire Campbell we will not have anyone that has delt with QB’s on the roster, probably won’t keep Stefanski. Only hope we would have is if we could convince Bevell to come be a QB coach behind Campbell.

The Vikings officially requested to interview Eagles quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo for their offensive coordinator job, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports. DeFilippo’s contract expires 10 days after the Eagles’ season ends, and Philadelphia appears ready to prevent him from interviewing until next week.

Indications are that the Vikings are willing to wait until next February 14 if the Eagles don’t allow DeFilippo to interview sooner.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/07/report-vikings-formally-request-permission-to-interview-john-defilippo/

13 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Seems petty for the Eagles to deny the request until his contract ends but I suppose, why help out a competitor for next year's title?

It may seem petty but there is a method to their madness that isn't completely petty. The thought is that with Frank Reich interviewing for the Colts head coaching position they want to leave their option of promoting him to OC available. Of course, they will still need to convince him to stay but as long as Reich is still there they can't even try to convince him to stay as OC. By refusing his ability to interview they'll have that option it their current OC is hired away in the next few days.

Can Minnesota get him signed/hired before the 10 day window is over? That's what im curious about, if so then Minny should be try to get a deal done tomorrow. 

To me, i wouldnt think that Minnesota could officially hire him until that 10 day window is up, due to him still being under contract with the Eagles. Im sure they could agree in principle, but that doesnt mean much nowadays apparently. If so, it could take a while to see what ends up happening with the Indy situation. 

Regardless, i think 100% he's the Vikings #1 option for OC. Otherwise they wouldnt have waited this long. 

15 minutes ago, Eric dunn said:

Can Minnesota get him signed/hired before the 10 day window is over? That's what im curious about, if so then Minny should be try to get a deal done tomorrow

I believe that once the Eagles grant permission for an interview, the general rule of thumb is that he’s free to sign a new contract with a new team. 

Sure, the Eagles could likely hold him to that 10 window, but then why grant permission for the interview?

Archived