Patriots - End of an Era?

Nick_gb

Just now, tredpack said:

Sure I am. Care to elaborate? 

Who other than Jimmy G would be higher that could even be traded? 

He's won a few meaningless games for San Francisco. And because of that, he's about to get himself a nice new contract, killing any value he might have had. Guys like Wentz, Goff, Watson (depending how he returns from the ACL) are all better players and/or have a better contract, making their value higher. Once Garrapollo gets that contract, he's less valuable than Cam, Rodgers, Gurley, and Kamara. Heck, a guy like Prescott has more value now, and even more so once Garraopollo gets the new contract.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean by asset, there's plenty of players better, or at worst equal on better contracts.

San Francisco went from a 1-10 team to a 6-10 team once Garoppolo came on board. Five wins on the bounce. Try telling 49ers fans that is meaningless, and you will get laughed off their forum !

Expect Jimmy G to get a $20m per year type contract - that is how badly the 49ers will want him.

1 minute ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

San Francisco went from a 1-10 team to a 6-10 team once Garoppolo came on board. Five wins on the bounce. Try telling 49ers fans that is meaningless, and you will get laughed off their forum !

Expect Jimmy G to get a $20m per year type contract - that is how badly the 49ers will want him.

They are meaningless. Meaningless in the sense they gained nothing this year. Now they're going to take a big leap of faith with a massive contract for those 5 games. FWIW, I do like him. But he's not the leagues best asset. Not now, and especially not after the new contract.

1 minute ago, smetana34 said:

They are meaningless. Meaningless in the sense they gained nothing this year. Now they're going to take a big leap of faith with a massive contract for those 5 games. FWIW, I do like him. But he's not the leagues best asset. Not now, and especially not after the new contract.

If he's even remotely as good as he displayed in those 5 or whatever games, 49ers fans are going to be ecstatic and the price is irrelevant when you find your franchise QB.

Just now, CWood21 said:

If he's even remotely as good as he displayed in those 5 or whatever games, 49ers fans are going to be ecstatic and the price is irrelevant when you find your franchise QB.

Except we're talking about him being the #1 asset in the league. You think he's the best asset in the league with a big contract? I could buy it if this is two years ago and he had this level of play. But, we're not there anymore.

1 minute ago, smetana34 said:

If you think the 49ers gained nothing this year, you just don't think like I do. They may not have made the playoffs (which is probably your point), but Jimmy G's impact on that whole franchise is huge. For starters they don't go the vet QB route they might have gone, nor do they need to draft a starting QB. They will pay big for him,  they have to since he'll be a free agent, but a good QB is (almost) beyond price, even moreso to a franchise that hasn't had one for a while.

18 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

He's won a few meaningless games for San Francisco. And because of that, he's about to get himself a nice new contract, killing any value he might have had. Guys like Wentz, Goff, Watson (depending how he returns from the ACL) are all better players and/or have a better contract, making their value higher. Once Garrapollo gets that contract, he's less valuable than Cam, Rodgers, Gurley, and Kamara. Heck, a guy like Prescott has more value now, and even more so once Garraopollo gets the new contract.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean by asset, there's plenty of players better, or at worst equal on better contracts.

None of those teams are trading Wentz/Watson/Goff. I’d consider them off the market. 

Jimmy G was on the market and went for a second! I’d put him in the same category or maybe even a tier above them.

Its not totally outlandish to think he is one of the top assets available in the league. 

From the story it sound like B.B. was more concerned about doing right by Jimmy then his team. 

Edit: I guess my point is, he is the same tier as the players you mentioned but was actually available to be traded. None of those players were/are. It would be like trading Cam (and others above) for a 2nd. It’s crazy! 

2 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

Except we're talking about him being the #1 asset in the league. You think he's the best asset in the league with a big contract? I could buy it if this is two years ago and he had this level of play. But, we're not there anymore.

In terms of actual available assets?  Maybe.  Franchise QBs are at an absolute premium, maybe even be a bit of an understatement in that regard.

3 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Stupid, stupid owner and "it's all about me, screw the team" Brady. How can a billionaire (the owner) be so dense ?

Brady has left a good amount of $$ on the table to allow NE to have more cap space.  Not sure that saying screw the team is accurate.

Just now, OneTwoSixFive said:

I've just been jumping from topic to topic and back, for the last hour............MAN - this site can be fast.

Yeah.  And the Packers' forum is one of the most active forums makes a TON to read through.

Archived