Andrew Norwell

Dingo18287

Just read that he made the All Pro Team and didn't allow a single sack or QB hit all season. He's a free agent this offseason, and it sounds like he is not a candidate to be given the Franchise Tag due to being a guard, and the FT includes what the top tackles make.  Haven't heard a lot of talk about him being signed, and could be gone. The Panther signed our LG Turner to a big contract last season, along with big money to the Kalil brothers.

Sure everyone wants him back, but what's the chances getting him resigned, or you expecting him to depart? Tough to give big money to your 2 guards.

Norwell is a very consistent player and needs to be locked up for 5 years or more. I think we resign him but.. I hope we spend more than one draft pick on O-Line. Ryan Kalil is probably going to hang it up after this season and his brother, Matt, has been nothing more than disappointing. Draft a center with a 2nd (which is where we draft Ryan Kalil) and grab a tackle on day 3 to challenge Matt.

Williams apparently made 2nd team as a tackle. So we may actually have some pieces for a consistent O-Line going forward, which is surprising considering how much difficulty the Panthers appear to have running the ball with any consistency. But despite the sometimes innovative stuff they do with Newton, I’ve never gotten the impression our offense is particularly creative. A whole lot of 1 and 2 yard runs that never really seem to go anywhere. Even a lot of the bigger traditional runs that happen seem to come from the herculean effort of the back breaking tackles, as opposed to clean blocking and holes. Then again, what the hell do I know.

There's no way Andrew Norwell and Daryl Williams are the best or two best LG/RT in the league. PFF had them both rated as the best this season and there is basically the only reason they got this since the media has no idea how to grade OL. The only thing that made our OL look good this year was dumping Benji. We allowed something like 22 sacks with him on the roster and 10 without him. When teams had to start respecting Samuel or Byrd or Clay they didn't rush us as much. Now we gonna have Norwell and D Williams demanding a bunch of money based on this crap. Ugh.

12 hours ago, Zithers2 said:

There's no way Andrew Norwell and Daryl Williams are the best or two best LG/RT in the league. PFF had them both rated as the best this season and there is basically the only reason they got this since the media has no idea how to grade OL. The only thing that made our OL look good this year was dumping Benji. We allowed something like 22 sacks with him on the roster and 10 without him. When teams had to start respecting Samuel or Byrd or Clay they didn't rush us as much. Now we gonna have Norwell and D Williams demanding a bunch of money based on this crap. Ugh.

Nowell didn’t give up a single sack or QB hit all year. That’s pretty damn impressive. 

13 hours ago, Zithers2 said:

If you agree that Benjamin's presence, and the tendency for teams to rush more at Newton, had more to do with the sack numbers than anything, then how does that reflect negatively on the offensive line?

The offensive line (subtracting M. Kalil) has played very well this year.  It is probably the best offensive line Newton has had since his rookie season.  We have averaged the most rushing yards in the last 8 weeks or so and that has a lot to do with the performance of the OL.  IIRC, we are the best team in league in regards to the amount of yards we gain before contact over that span.  The pass protection has been superb.

The problem with the offense is the scheme and injuries to our WRs.  The lack of Samuel and Byrd, as odd as it sounds, is going to kill us in the postseason.  Not only is Clay not as fast as them, although certainly no slouch, but he doesn't have as quick of feet and thus lacks the ability to shake people on his routes.  Without receivers that can separate downfield, the Air Coryell passing scheme can't operate unless Newton nails every throw.  We're going to need to see more of McCaffrey in the slot and Olsen and Cam to be on their A games.

8 hours ago, iknowcool said:

If you agree that Benjamin's presence, and the tendency for teams to rush more at Newton, had more to do with the sack numbers than anything, then how does that reflect negatively on the offensive line?

The offensive line (subtracting M. Kalil) has played very well this year.  It is probably the best offensive line Newton has had since his rookie season.  We have averaged the most rushing yards in the last 8 weeks or so and that has a lot to do with the performance of the OL.  IIRC, we are the best team in league in regards to the amount of yards we gain before contact over that span.  The pass protection has been superb.

The problem with the offense is the scheme and injuries to our WRs.  The lack of Samuel and Byrd, as odd as it sounds, is going to kill us in the postseason.  Not only is Clay not as fast as them, although certainly no slouch, but he doesn't have as quick of feet and thus lacks the ability to shake people on his routes.  Without receivers that can separate downfield, the Air Coryell passing scheme can't operate unless Newton nails every throw.  We're going to need to see more of McCaffrey in the slot and Olsen and Cam to be on their A games.

Well, we would have more rush yards as a result of teams no longer stacking the box. Plus we've had 2,000+ rush yards for years now and that was with some terrible OLines. I'm not saying the OLine is bad or anything but to say that we have the best LG, the second best RT, and then Ryan and Trai are often considered top five at their positions... this is just a ridiculous notion that we apparently have an OLine as talented as Dallas' or something.

I also agree that our scheme is terrible and that our injured wideouts will be the end of us.

Thankfully the front office is in limbo so we gave Rivera an extension and he will keep Shula around for two more years while the offense "evolves."

I don't think it is that ridiculous.  Cowboys offensive line wasn't as good as it was last year and it wasn't like Turner and Kalil were healthy simultaneously for very long this season.  When they were, we controlled the Vikings defensive line which is among the best (minus M. Kalil vs Griffen).  

However, I disagree on Turner.  I don't think I would consider him a top five guard.  At least not this year.  I think his play fell off a tad.  Norwell is clearly better at this stage.

I really hope Norwell is back, but he will probably demand what Turner got, if not more because of his accolades. That said, I believe Ryan retires, and I would not like to see a huge hole in our offensive line when we have many other glaring needs. Re-signing him I see is a top 5 priority this offseason. 

• 1 month later...
On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 1:23 AM, atown703 said:

Norwell has definetly outplayed Turner this season. However, I think we chose to "lock up" Turner over Norwell because Turner can play outside as a tackle

Do people really feel comfortable with this? Say moving him out to left if Kalil continues to disappoint? 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived