Rams 2018 offseason

holt_bruce81

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

I want Suh! I want Suh! I want Suh!

I really don't understand why. He's going to command a ton of money. Not to mention us putting him as a 3-4 NT is far from his natural fit. Sure he's plenty talented enough to do it, but you'd be putting him in a position that doesn't utilize his best quality--rushing the passer. I don't want to pay him all that money to be wasting his talents. 

No thanks. Let someone else throw a boat load of money at him. 

3 minutes ago, BEASToftheEAST4 said:

I really don't understand why. He's going to command a ton of money. Not to mention us putting him as a 3-4 NT is far from his natural fit. Sure he's plenty talented enough to do it, but you'd be putting him in a position that doesn't utilize his best quality--rushing the passer. I don't want to pay him all that money to be wasting his talents. 

No thanks. Let someone else throw a boat load of money at him. 

It's the same position he's played for much of his career. I think many of you confuse Wade's 3-4 with a 3-4 like LeBeau's. Suh's job isn't to read and react or eat blocks as a Wade NT. His job is to attack the back-field. Jay Ratliff was quite an effective pass rusher at NT for Wade. Suh's role wouldn't change. He'd be rushing the passer and penetrating against the run. What would change is team's ability to double Suh and Donald.

So why sign Suh? Because it'll free him or Donald up to make plays, it'll give us a monster in the middle of our defense (both against the run and pass), and it'll put less pressure on our edge rushers while putting a ton of pressure on the interior OLs of every team we face.

Btw I'm officially going sour grapes mode on Sammy Watkins. I wanted him back but I'm really happy (relieved) that we didn't pay him that much money. Four years into his career and he's still being highly regarded solely off of name, draft position and potential. While I can't blame him for going towards that much money, I think this shows that he's a selfish player. He kept quiet throughout the year despite not getting a lot of targets, but now I'm starting to think that it was because he was in a contract year. He said he wanted to continue to be a part of this team which has potential to do something special and have some continuity. I'm curious to see how long into the season he starts complaining about targets again. Gut feeling is that in two years we look back and are glad we didn't retain him. 

Again... full sour grapes mode. I'll calm down in a week. 

6 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

It's the same position he's played for much of his career. I think many of you confuse Wade's 3-4 with a 3-4 like LeBeau's. Suh's job isn't to read and react or eat blocks as a Wade NT. His job is to attack the back-field. Jay Ratliff was quite an effective pass rusher at NT for Wade. Suh's role wouldn't change. He'd be rushing the passer and penetrating against the run. What would change is team's ability to double Suh and Donald.

So why sign Suh? Because it'll free him or Donald up to make plays, it'll give us a monster in the middle of our defense (both against the run and pass), and it'll put less pressure on our edge rushers while putting a ton of pressure on the interior OLs of every team we face.

Suh spent the majority of his career as a penetrating UT in Detroit's 4-3 defense. I understand that Wade's system isn't your typical 3-4. 

Again, I'm not arguing the talent of the likelihood that he'd succeed here. I just don't think he'd make enough difference to merit what he's going to make money wise. Right now we need a guy who can eat blockers and stop the run at that NT position. Getting Suh would be overpaying for his pass rush skills that wouldn't be utilized as much. 

36 minutes ago, BEASToftheEAST4 said:

Suh spent the majority of his career as a penetrating UT in Detroit's 4-3 defense. I understand that Wade's system isn't your typical 3-4. 

No, Nick Fairley was the UT. Suh was playing NT. While it varied some snap to snap, Suh playing NT is nothing new. Here's an example:

Here's another example:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000289226/Suh-sacks-Flynn-for-a-safety

Again, I'm not arguing the talent of the likelihood that he'd succeed here. I just don't think he'd make enough difference to merit what he's going to make money wise. Right now we need a guy who can eat blockers and stop the run at that NT position. Getting Suh would be overpaying for his pass rush skills that wouldn't be utilized as much. 

No, we don't need that. We're willing to settle for that, but that's not what Wade Phillips wants from his NT. You assume he wants a 2-gapping NT. He doesn't. And I'm not sure why you think Suh's pass rush skills wouldn't be utilized. Is he going to sit on the ground and watch the passing plays? As I already told you, with Suh, Wade would have him 1-gapping. That means that Suh would be attacking both on running plays and passing plays. It would be no different than the role he's played throughout his career. His pass rushing skills would be utilized to the exact same extent they always were. And if Suh is taking on double teams, that means Aaron Donald is getting 1-on-1 opportunities. That's a huge win for us and makes Suh more than worth his cost.

@jrry32 I think we've just got a difference of opinions on the matter. For the amount of money he'd make, I don't think he's able to make THAT much more of a difference than a guy like Poe, who'd be much less expensive, or even a Bennie Logan, who'd be a good value signing. 

I just think we could better use our resources. 

If we were to get him, I'd surely be happy because he's a tremendous talent. But I'm certainly not rooting for it to happen. You're not going to sway my opinion on it and I won't sway yours. I'll leave it with that. 

2 minutes ago, BEASToftheEAST4 said:

@jrry32 I think we've just got a difference of opinions on the matter. For the amount of money he'd make, I don't think he's able to make THAT much more of a difference than a guy like Poe, who'd be much less expensive, or even a Bennie Logan, who'd be a good value signing. 

I just think we could better use our resources. 

If we were to get him, I'd surely be happy because he's a tremendous talent. But I'm certainly not rooting for it to happen. You're not going to sway my opinion on it and I won't sway yours. I'll leave it with that. 

The difference is that he's not counted in the comp pick formula (and he'd make a lot more difference than Poe or Logan because he's an All Pro player). I don't see us better using our resources. We have an amazing secondary. Suh would provide massive boosts to our pass rush and run defense. I'm fine with you disagreeing. That's your right. But I don't agree with the grounds upon which you disagree because it seems like you have some misconceptions of our scheme.

10 hours ago, BEASToftheEAST4 said:

Btw I'm officially going sour grapes mode on Sammy Watkins. I wanted him back but I'm really happy (relieved) that we didn't pay him that much money. Four years into his career and he's still being highly regarded solely off of name, draft position and potential. While I can't blame him for going towards that much money, I think this shows that he's a selfish player. He kept quiet throughout the year despite not getting a lot of targets, but now I'm starting to think that it was because he was in a contract year. He said he wanted to continue to be a part of this team which has potential to do something special and have some continuity. I'm curious to see how long into the season he starts complaining about targets again. Gut feeling is that in two years we look back and are glad we didn't retain him. 

Again... full sour grapes mode. I'll calm down in a week. 

I'm right there with you. I really wanted him back bad, and can't really fault him for wanting to test the market and accept an offer for what he got, but the guy clearly never bought into the "We Not Me" motto, so we'll be a better team without him.

Now let's roll with Reynolds and put the money we were going to use for Sammy towards Suh and Navarro Bowman!

9 hours ago, jrry32 said:

The difference is that he's not counted in the comp pick formula

This is the HUGE piece to going after Suh rather than Poe. Sammy and Tru just Cahsed In, so we are looking to make a haul next year in Comp picks.

If we can sign Suh, even at a big number, it wont eat into that at all.

And how were some of you fine with Brockers at NT, even saying he needs to go back there, but you have an issue with Suh at NT in our defense?

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

This is the HUGE piece to going after Suh rather than Poe. Sammy and Tru just Cahsed In, so we are looking to make a haul next year in Comp picks.

If we can sign Suh, even at a big number, it wont eat into that at all.

And how were some of you fine with Brockers at NT, even saying he needs to go back there, but you have an issue with Suh at NT in our defense?

I don't want Brockers back at NT.

But the reverse argument could be made as well. If you don't want Brockers at NT because you want him to be able to rush the passer, then why would you want Suh at NT? 

25 minutes ago, BEASToftheEAST4 said:

I don't want Brockers back at NT.

But the reverse argument could be made as well. If you don't want Brockers at NT because you want him to be able to rush the passer, then why would you want Suh at NT? 

I don't want Brockers at NT because he's better at SDE. It has nothing to do with rushing the passer. The 3-4 NT in our scheme isn't doing anything different as a pass rusher than a 4-3 NT. He's just lining up a step to his right or left (depending on the formation).

Archived