Should the NFL add 4 more games(no byes) to Wild Card weekend?

DigInBoys

1 hour ago, Ketchup said:

So what system do you propose that is so much better then the current one? One that adds teams and dilutes the playoffs? One that removes all bye weeks? One that has half the league in the playoffs? None of those things are appealing. 

Going to have to agree to disagree on this one. 

I want one that is as fair as you can make it. I couldn't care less if all 32 teams make the playoffs or only 8 make the playoffs but whatever system you use it should be fair. The current system is unfair.

Want to keep it at 12 teams? Fine, go to four 8 team division and the four division champs get a bye with 8 wildcards playing to join them. That'd be fine by me.

But the current set up is inherently unfair. And that is by default a poor system. 

FYI: The current system is a relic of a 28/30 team 6 division league. It does not work in a 32 team 8 division league and needs to be redesigned. When you expand and realign a league you can't just ignore the playoff system you use, it needs to be re-thought as well. If you look at the reasons they moved to 12 teams (good 2nd (and sometimes 3rd) place teams) than an 8 division league using the same logic should have a 16 team playoff.  Or if you want to keep the percentage of teams the same and don't care about fairness than it should be a 14 team playoff with 2 byes 

I like it the way it is. It's true that certain teams may have easier paths to a first round bye, or a division crown, but it's simply the way it is. You'd need to eradicate divisions alltogether to eliminate bias based on division, and even then it wouldn't eliminate strength of schedule from being a factor.

Every team has a shot regardless of situation or schedule at getting a first round bye if they play well enough. I'm fine with the system currently as is, and don't like the idea of half of the teams making the playoffs, period.

Why are so many people opposed to the idea of "half the teams" in the playoffs? Half the teams (or more) making the playoffs is more of a norm in professional leagues with a playoff system than less than half the teams making the playoff so why is that not okay for the NFL?

What makes that somehow too many but 37.5% is correct?

What is this belief based on? I am genuinely asking, what is the right percentage of teams in a playoff field? 

Why have wildcards at all? If you can't win your division, what business do you have in the playoffs? Anyone support eliminating the wildcards altogether? I doubt many would be so why is it that we have this magic number (that just happens to be the current number) that is deemed the right format?

Personally, I think the perfect system is 8 division champs and that is it. Wildcards only exist because the NFL had 6 divisions at one time and needed to balance out the playoff field. Now that it has 8 divisions why even have wildcards?

Just now, youngosu said:

Why are so many people opposed to the idea of "half the teams" in the playoffs?

What is this belief based on? I am genuinely asking, what is the right percentage of teams in a playoff field? 

Why have wildcards at all? If you can't win your division, what business do you have in the playoffs? Anyone support eliminating the wildcards altogether? I doubt many would be so why is it that we have this magic number (that just happens to be the current number) that is deemed the right format?

Personally, I think the perfect system is 8 division champs and that is it. Wildcards only exist because the NFL had 6 divisions at one time and needed to balance out the playoff field. Now that it has 8 divisions why even have wildcards?

Because if you have 2 excellent teams, both should get it.

I remember when the jags were 14-2 and titans were 13-3 or something of that ilk.

I like things the way they are now

1 minute ago, youngosu said:

Why are so many people opposed to the idea of "half the teams" in the playoffs?

One of your gripes was the current system being unfair. Well let me give you this scenario, let’s say there are two 12 win teams in won division. Then let’s say there is a substantially weaker division with the winner of that division being a 9 or even 8 win team. How on earth is it fair that they get into the playoffs simply because they played in a weak division? See how that works? No perfect solution. I like the current setup because it’s what it’s been since 2002 and it works for better or worse so I don’t see a need to change it. 

Just now, MathMan said:

Because if you have 2 excellent teams, both should get it.

I remember when the jags were 14-2 and titans were 13-3 or something of that ilk.

I like things the way they are now

Why?

The Jags were better over 16 games than the Titans, why should the Titans get another shot at changing what happened over 16 weeks? How is that fair to the Jaguars?

How do you define "excellent teams"? 13 wins? 12 wins? 11 wins? 10 wins? 9 wins? 

The NFL should stop changing things.  It should not add things.  It should not remove things.  It should not alter things, it should not tweak things.  It should not remove games, it should not add games.  It should not remove rules, it should not add rules.  It should not amend things, it should not switch things.  It should not alter replays, it should not do anything.

The NFL should stop doing anything.

If there is anything that the NFL should do, the NFL should return to the way the NFL was 10 years ago. 

No, the NFL should not add two more games to Wild Card weekend.  It should stop doing anything other than being what it was. 

30 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

One of your gripes was the current system being unfair. Well let me give you this scenario, let’s say there are two 12 win teams in won division. Then let’s say there is a substantially weaker division with the winner of that division being a 9 or even 8 win team. How on earth is it fair that they get into the playoffs simply because they played in a weak division? See how that works? No perfect solution. I like the current setup because it’s what it’s been since 2002 and it works for better or worse so I don’t see a need to change it. 

They didn't play the same schedules. Its fair because you are comparing apples to apples. Wildcards force you to compare apples to oranges which creates an inherent lack of fairness. 

The whole point of having a playoff is to settle what the regular season couldn't settle. If you crown a division champ the best team in that 4 team group is already settled. No need to give team #2 a second chance. And if the NFL was introducing the wildcard for the first time right now you and most the posters that love the 12 teams system would be arguing against it, I am 99% certain of that. And I am certain of that because I remember all the complaining when MLB created a wildcard (MLB was smart enough to keep all division champs on equal footing though). 

You are concerned with fairness for 2nd place teams, I am concerned for fairness of teams that are division champs. Why did the Saints have to play and beat the Panthers for a 3rd time today? They beat them twice and had a better record in the same division, no need for Carolina to get yet another shot. That is unfair to the Saints. 

2 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

The NFL should stop changing things.  It should not add things.  It should not remove things.  It should not alter things, it should not tweak things.  It should not remove games, it should not add games.  It should not remove rules, it should not add rules.  It should not amend things, it should not switch things.  It should not alter replays, it should not do anything.

The NFL should stop doing anything.

If there is anything that the NFL should do, the NFL should return to the way the NFL was 10 years ago. 

No, the NFL should not add two more games to Wild Card weekend.  It should stop doing anything other than being what it was. 

Why?

What made the NFL of 10 years ago perfect in your eyes?

3 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

It was 10 years less of stupid changes. 

Why not go back to 1969 rules and playoff system than?

8 division champs only just like the good old days of the 1960's!!!!!

While 8 teams anyway, the NFL took 4 division champs whereas the AFL took the top 2 in each division (4 teams total). So if we keep the NFL system, 8 division champs, go with the AFL system and we get 16 teams. 

I am good with either. Yep. Lets go back to 1969 football!!!!!!

Archived