Should the NFL add 4 more games(no byes) to Wild Card weekend?

DigInBoys

41 minutes ago, youngosu said:

Exactly, that is why its an unfair punishment to not give the Saints a bye while the Eagles and Vikings who likely would have had worse records playing in the South do get byes. If you are against punishing teams for having harder schedules you should  be against byes. 

As I've said before, the only reason most people think 12 with 2 byes and HFA for division champs is the "best" system is because its what they are used too. If the NFL expanded to a 16 team tournament, fans would be arguing that its the best system in 20 years whenever someone poses an idea for changing it.  Its the comfort of what they are used too, nothing more. 

The Vikings beat 2/3 NFC South teams in the playoffs during the regular season, just throwing that out there.

But look, no system is perfect. The alternative you are proposing to the current system (Eliminating wildcards, only comparing teams within divisions) rewards teams even moreso than the current system for playing in a weak division.

Personally I think that they should just change the order of tiebreakers. Make it go 1) Head-to-Head, 2) Strength of schedule, 3) Point differential.

Conference record is a stupid way to decide a tiebreaker, but that can be easily fixed.

2 hours ago, youngosu said:

Exactly, that is why its an unfair punishment to not give the Saints a bye while the Eagles and Vikings who likely would have had worse records playing in the South do get byes. If you are against punishing teams for having harder schedules you should  be against byes. 

As I've said before, the only reason most people think 12 with 2 byes and HFA for division champs is the "best" system is because its what they are used too. If the NFL expanded to a 16 team tournament, fans would be arguing that its the best system in 20 years whenever someone poses an idea for changing it.  Its the comfort of what they are used too, nothing more. 

So the Vikings finished 13-3, 2 games better than the Saints 11-5...........and beat the SaInts, but New Orleans should get a bye because they played a tougher schedule?  Saying the Eagles and Vikings likely would have a worse record playing in the South is pure speculation.  

Just like the college system right? Everyone thinks it was a great system before they changed it because they were comfortable with it? 

9 hours ago, Raves said:

I think the only changes to the playoff system should be how they do seeding.  4 Conference Champs and top 2 records outside of Conference Champs get into the playoffs.  From there teams are seeded 1-6 based on their record.  Winning your conference should only guarantee you a spot in the playoff, not a home game.  Years like 2013 where the Panthers were 12-4 and the Saints 11-5 in the NFC South and the Seahawks were 13-3 and the 49ers were 12-4 there is no reason that the Saints and 49ers should've had to travel to Green Bay (8-8) or Philadelphia (10-6) when both teams had better seasons or in 2010 when the 11-5 Saints, behind the 13-3 Falcons, had to travel to the 7-9 Seahawks.

Your reward for winning your conference is you get in the playoffs, past that the best record should be the deciding factor for seeding.

Its fine as it is now. I guarantees each division that their representative will host a playoff game.

6 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

The Vikings beat 2/3 NFC South teams in the playoffs during the regular season, just throwing that out there.

But look, no system is perfect. The alternative you are proposing to the current system (Eliminating wildcards, only comparing teams within divisions) rewards teams even moreso than the current system for playing in a weak division.

Personally I think that they should just change the order of tiebreakers. Make it go 1) Head-to-Head, 2) Strength of schedule, 3) Point differential.

Conference record is a stupid way to decide a tiebreaker, but that can be easily fixed.

For the record, I haven't actually proposed anything. 

4 hours ago, PeteyPercyPonde said:

So the Vikings finished 13-3, 2 games better than the Saints 11-5...........and beat the SaInts, but New Orleans should get a bye because they played a tougher schedule?  Saying the Eagles and Vikings likely would have a worse record playing in the South is pure speculation.  

Just like the college system right? Everyone thinks it was a great system before they changed it because they were comfortable with it? 

Not that I said at all. At no point have I said the Saints should get a bye. 

And bringing up the college football is irrelevant. But since you did, yeah. Lots of people (I never said everyone) argue against expanding the college playoff (how it destroys the regular season, etc...). Its quite common actually. 

8 hours ago, PeteyPercyPonde said:

My comment which he was responding to wasn't quite that.  The only change I would want is that the 4 conference champs and 2 Wildcard slots were to be ranked 1-6 based on record.  This year would actually pretty much stay the same, but in several other years you might have 2 or even 3 great teams in one conference and the team taht doesn't win the division has to play a road game even if they have a better record because there was a team in their division that had a slightly better record.  Like I think if the Packers were 14-2, the Vikings were 13-3 and the Saints were 11-5 and winning their division, that the Vikings should be seeded ahead of the Saints as they had the better season and shouldn't be punished for another great team in their division.

3 hours ago, youngosu said:

Not that I said at all. At no point have I said the Saints should get a bye. 

And bringing up the college football is irrelevant. But since you did, yeah. Lots of people (I never said everyone) argue against expanding the college playoff (how it destroys the regular season, etc...). Its quite common actually. 

Didn't you kind of say that right here?  

And when I brought up college, we had the poll system in place for how long before the playoff system? People just didn't get comfortable with it and thought it was the best system, people requested change for a long time until the playoff system was in place.

We do need to add more games to the playoffs but you guys are thinking about the wrong end. Instead of letting in 7th or 8th seeds, we need to create a mini playoff at the bottom of the conferences for 1st over pick in the draft. 15th seed plays 16th seed and the winner goes on to the lesthansuper bowl. Winner of that gets the 1st overall pick in the draft. This stops teams from tanking because being 2-14 no longer guarantees you the top pick, it only gets you into the playoffs where you still have to win at the end. This also stops terrible teams like the browns from continuously wasting 1st overall picks year after year.

12 hours ago, PeteyPercyPonde said:

Didn't you kind of say that right here?  

And when I brought up college, we had the poll system in place for how long before the playoff system? People just didn't get comfortable with it and thought it was the best system, people requested change for a long time until the playoff system was in place.

No, I simply said giving the Vikings and Eagles a bye over the Saints was unfair. Giving the Saints a bye over the Eagles/Vikings would also be unfair. Byes in general are unfair. 

As for college football, not all people were uncomfortable with the poll system. Many still argue for the poll system (including me) or BCS system over the playoff. I personally hate the playoff, its an insult to college football history to have an SEC/Big 12 matchup in Pasadena. New Years Day with 7-8 major games was way more fun than the current system and taking the top 4 as selected by 13 people is certainly no better than letting people vote for the top 1. The system is basically unchanged and certainly no better, they've just made New Years Day way less traditional and fun.

Now, if you want to talk about guaranteeing bids for all the major conference champ, one minor conference champ then fill it out with a couple at large teams AND separating the system from the Bowls than I might be on board with the college playoff but I'm certainly not on board with the current system.

Archived