Should the NFL add 4 more games(no byes) to Wild Card weekend?

DigInBoys

2 more teams for each conference and eliminate the byes.

So instead of 4 games Wild Card weekend there would be 8 with the top seeds playing too.

I don't like the idea of Wild Cards, having to play while another team rests AND has home field advantage are overwhelming odds. I think having home field advantage all the way to the Super Bowl is incentive enough for the top seeds.

This year we had a few good teams miss the playoffs: Chargers, Ravens, Cowboys, Lions/Seahawks.

All of those teams are roughly on par with the Wild Cards.

Kinda defeats the purpose of the regular season TBH. If their are no byes, then what’s really the difference between the 1st seed and the 7th or 8th? Home field advantage isn’t enough of an advantage for a team that dominated all year over a team that barely got into the post season. Plus adding two more teams per conference means half of the teams in the league get into the postseason, that’s too many IMO. IF they add teams, should only be 1 per conference although I don’t think they should mess with the playoffs at all. 

Sure, let's water down the product even more. 

20 minutes ago, DigInBoys said:

I don't like the idea of Wild Cards, having to play while another team rests AND has home field advantage are overwhelming odds. I think having home field advantage all the way to the Super Bowl is incentive enough for the top seeds.

So you basically want the #2 seed to basically have the same advantage as the #6 seed...what would be the point. This would mean anything less than a #1 seed essentially become meaningless. Which in turn would cause teams to start resting players in week 15, 16 and 17. 

I think they should do this in conjunction with adding another bye week during the regular season, ensuring teams paying on Thursday are coming off a bye week getting more rest.

Extends the regular season to 18 weeks while keeping the same amount of games.

30 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

Kinda defeats the purpose of the regular season TBH. If their are no byes, then what’s really the difference between the 1st seed and the 7th or 8th? Home field advantage isn’t enough of an advantage for a team that dominated all year over a team that barely got into the post season. Plus adding two more teams per conference means half of the teams in the league get into the postseason, that’s too many IMO. IF they add teams, should only be 1 per conference although I don’t think they should mess with the playoffs at all. 

The problem isn't the difference between the 1st and 8th seed. The problem is the difference between the 2nd and 3rd seed. Sometimes the bye comes down to a tie-breaker. When both teams are division champs who play wildly unique schedules byes are inherently unfair. 

I am honestly at a loss for why so many people think the NFL playoff system isn't terrible. Teams in different divisions can have as few as 2 common opponents over the course of a season yet if both finish 12-4 one is gonna get a week off to rest and recover while the other has to play a game. That is a joke of a system.

Getting a bye comes down to having the easier schedule more often than it comes down to being the better team. This look at the NFC this year for evidence, the 2 teams that won the easiest divisions got the byes. How is that fair?

3 minutes ago, youngosu said:

The problem isn't the difference between the 1st and 8th seed. The problem is the difference between the 2nd and 3rd seed. Sometimes the bye comes down to a tie-breaker. When both teams are division champs who play wildly unique schedules byes are inherently unfair. 

I am honestly at a loss for why so many people think the NFL playoff system isn't terrible. Teams in different divisions can have as few as 2 common opponents over the course of a season yet if both finish 12-4 one is gonna get a week off to rest and recover while the other has to play a game. That is a joke of a system.

If you don’t want the decision to come down to a tie breaker if you are both 12-4, then be 13-3. Problem solved. 

Archived