GWT: Week 19 Jags @ Steelers

gopherwrestler

GWT: Week 19 Jags @ Steelers  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

5 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Still waiting...

I provided you with examples. 

If you want to imagine that Bortles is somehow the NFL’s biggest punching bag, power to you. I know teams and fans love the whole “everyone’s counting us out, it’s us against the world” mentality. 

Hyperbole and the misuse of “literally” runs rampant on this forum...

3 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

If you want to imagine that Bortles is somehow the NFL’s biggest punching bag, power to you. I know teams and fans love the whole “everyone’s counting us out, it’s us against the world” mentality. 

I wish I knew how to "like" a post on this new damn forum.

11 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

I want to see several quotes about one player referencing how awful they are.

Saying they want to make Tom Brady look like Bortles is absolutely an insult. If you don't think so and think that is just "normal everyday trash talk" than I don't know what to tell you. I don't see players saying stuff like that.

"If the ball game is ever in Blake Bortles hands, he's going to choke." - Jurrell Casey

This isn't stuff like Talib and Crabtree. This is guys taking unnecessary shots in which they never even had a battle/likely talked much with Blake and still went to the media and said how trash/awful a guy is for no reason.

2 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Still a new member, probably can't yet.

New because I failed in the transition to the new site, lol but I know what you mean.  How long would it take for me to be able to start using all the features?

30 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I want to see several quotes about one player referencing how awful they are.

Like the several quotes you’ve posted...right? 

I’m not doing your work for you. I googled Cam, Casey, Earl, and Burfict’s comments to see exactly what was said - you can do the same, because it isn’t hard. 

Your unwillingness to realize or acknowledge some very public, very recent  incidents (Steve Smith, Michael Crabtree??) isn’t my problem. 

Saying they want to make Tom Brady look like Bortles is absolutely an insult. If you don't think so and think that is just "normal everyday trash talk" than I don't know what to tell you. I don't see players saying stuff like that.

“I don’t see players saying stuff like that” =/= it “literally” never happens. 

"If the ball game is ever in Blake Bortles hands, he's going to choke." - Jurrell Casey

I already said Casey’s was trash talk. 

I also said trash talk between opponents (especially divisional ones) isn’t “unprecedented”. 

This isn't stuff like Talib and Crabtree. This is guys taking unnecessary shots in which they never even had a battle/likely talked much with Blake and still went to the media and said how trash/awful a guy is for no reason.

You have one case that supports that criteria. It’s Cameron Jordan. 

Byard, Casey, Clowney, Thomas, and Burfict (the latter two didn’t even talk trash) all played or were about to play Jacksonville.

In at least one case, the player didn’t “[go] to the media”, the media came to them (Clowney). Burfict, IIRC, was in the locker room and was being asked about the upcoming game. Thomas was being asked right after by the media. 

On top of that, everyone but Jordan had a reason. Clowney, Byard, Casey, and Thomas all took losses from the Jags. All but the latter are division rivals. Burfict was discussing an upcoming opponent. Jordan’s is out of the blue, but if you read the quote he was discussing his team and talking up Brees. The jab at Bortles is just that, a jab, following reports of Bortles’ 5 interception day at camp. 

Keep those teal shades on.

3 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Like the several quotes you’ve posted...right? 

I’m not doing your work for you. I googled Cam, Casey, Earl, and Burfict’s comments to see exactly what was said - you can do the same, because it isn’t hard. 

Your unwillingness to realize or acknowledge some very public, very recent  incidents (Steve Smith, Michael Crabtree??) isn’t my problem. 

“I don’t see players saying stuff like that” =/= it “literally” never happens. 

I already said Casey’s was trash talk. 

I also said trash talk between opponents (especially divisional ones) isn’t “unprecedented”. 

You have one case that supports that criteria. It’s Cameron Jordan. 

Byard, Casey, Clowney, Thomas, and Burfict (the latter two didn’t even talk trash) all played or were about to play Jacksonville.

In at least one case, the player didn’t “[go] to the media”, the media came to them (Clowney). Burfict, IIRC, was in the locker room and was being asked about the upcoming game. Thomas was being asked right after by the media. 

On top of that, everyone but Jordan had a reason. Clowney, Byard, Casey, and Thomas all took losses from the Jags. All but the latter are division rivals. Burfict was discussing an upcoming opponent. Jordan’s is out of the blue, but if you read the quote he was discussing his team and talking up Brees. The jab at Bortles is just that, a jab, following reports of Bortles’ 5 interception day at camp. 

Keep those teal shades on.

Teal shades? I didn't even start this argument.

I said Bortles gets talked about other players in the NFL as trash more than anyone I've ever seen. He gets brought up out of the blue for no reason.

I could care less. We're in the divisional round of the playoffs with that "choke artist", or "flaming heap of trash", or whatever else they want to call him. I acknowledged how odd it was and you said how it wasn't very uncommon and refuse to show how it happens all the time. I think all Jaguars fans know Blake isn't particularly good, but what some people are saying is hilarious. He's limited mistakes, played how Marrone wanted to play (played safe, run the ball and play great defense) and he's done it. By doing that, we ended a decade long streak of missing the playoffs.

Steve Smith going off about some corner he faced likely after going head to head and talking back and forth with some bad stuff about personal things/their game is different than these guys coming out and saying what they are. The fact that you don't see that, well, I can't help you. Guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

The fact you can't reference a single player getting consistently poured on with insults like Blake and making me go out of my way to try and find these random things is quite funny though the way you made it sound. With just how "common" it is I feel like it'd take you only a few minutes.

Also, this isn't just me thinking Blake is the punch bag for the NFL. Have you watched any NFL shows/read any articles this year? 

I mean GMFB on NFLN just mentioned how they know he's a running joke among players and yet he keeps doing just enough and limiting the mistakes to win games.

It's constantly talked about how Blake is trashed everywhere and has been brought up quite a bit.. We had Blaine Gabbert, I don't remember anything even close to this. 

Maybe it's because we're winning with him and that's making guys testy, but either way...

6 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I said Bortles gets talked about other players in the NFL as trash more than anyone I've ever seen. He gets brought up out of the blue for no reason.

The post I quoted you in said it “literally” never happens. That’s what I disagreed with. What you’ve seen has no bearing on what has happened in the past. 

I could care less. We're in the divisional round of the playoffs with that "choke artist", or "flaming heap of trash", or whatever else they want to call him. I acknowledged how odd it was and you said how it wasn't very uncommon and refuse to show how it happens all the time. I think all Jaguars fans know Blake isn't particularly good, but what some people are saying is hilarious.

Couldn’t care less* (I realize at this point one of us takes semantics more seriously than the other...)

What would you consider “hilarious” about what Jordan, Thomas, Burfict, or Byard said? None of them were wrong or particularly vulgar/disrespectful. At least, if you have context. Clowney’s the only one that could really be funny, because he said it right after taking an L. 

He's limited mistakes, played how Marrone wanted to play (played safe, run the ball and play great defense) and he's done it. By doing that, we ended a decade long streak of missing the playoffs.

Bortles sure handed the ball off and played defense really well! 

Steve Smith going off about some corner he faced likely after going head to head and talking back and forth with some bad stuff about personal things/their game is different than these guys coming out and saying what they are. The fact that you don't see that, well, I can't help you. Guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Steve Smith has had multiple players critisize him throughout his career. Some warranted, some not. 

Also, I love how “after going head to head” is somehow relevant with Steve Smith, but the fact that Bortles faces off against all but one of those really mean guys is somehow lost. 

The fact you can't reference a single player getting consistently poured on with insults like Blake and making me go out of my way to try and find these random things is quite funny though the way you made it sound. With just how "common" it is I feel like it'd take you only a few minutes.

“Can’t” reference, would be incorrect. But since you’re particularly lazy, here (don’t say I never did anything nice for you): 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000709826/article/jalen-ramsey-steve-smith-engage-in-epic-trash-talk (Smith vs Ramsey)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000266817/article/steve-smith-i-will-bust-janoris-jenkins-in-his-mouth (Smith vs Jenkins)

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/aug/10/steve-smiths-retirment-cause-deangelo-hall-reflect/ (Smith vs Hall)

http://www.complex.com/sports/2016/11/cowboys-rookie-anthony-brown-rips-yapping-steve-smith-trash-talk-no-respect (Smith vs Anthony Brown)

(Smith vs Bengals secondary: can’t post the link because of profanities)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/18/steve-smith-aqib-talib-go-at-it/ (Smith vs Talib) 

Literally never! Unprecedented!

1 hour ago, Super4 said:

New because I failed in the transition to the new site, lol but I know what you mean.  How long would it take for me to be able to start using all the features?

What’s your old user?

6 minutes ago, iPwn said:

What’s your old user?

Cicero.  I was absent for a few months due to some life stuff and then I come back to talk shop about the playoffs, and suddenly I'm locked out haha.  So I made a new username.

4 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

The post I quoted you in said it “literally” never happens. That’s what I disagreed with. What you’ve seen has no bearing on what has happened in the past. 

Couldn’t care less* (I realize at this point one of us takes semantics more seriously than the other...)

What would you consider “hilarious” about what Jordan, Thomas, Burfict, or Byard said? None of them were wrong or particularly vulgar/disrespectful. At least, if you have context. Clowney’s the only one that could really be funny, because he said it right after taking an L. 

Bortles sure handed the ball off and played defense really well! 

Steve Smith has had multiple players critisize him throughout his career. Some warranted, some not. 

Also, I love how “after going head to head” is somehow relevant with Steve Smith, but the fact that Bortles faces off against all but one of those really mean guys is somehow lost. 

“Can’t” reference, would be incorrect. But since you’re particularly lazy, here (don’t say I never did anything nice for you): 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000709826/article/jalen-ramsey-steve-smith-engage-in-epic-trash-talk (Smith vs Ramsey)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000266817/article/steve-smith-i-will-bust-janoris-jenkins-in-his-mouth (Smith vs Jenkins)

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/aug/10/steve-smiths-retirment-cause-deangelo-hall-reflect/ (Smith vs Hall)

http://www.complex.com/sports/2016/11/cowboys-rookie-anthony-brown-rips-yapping-steve-smith-trash-talk-no-respect (Smith vs Anthony Brown)

(Smith vs Bengals secondary: can’t post the link because of profanities)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/18/steve-smith-aqib-talib-go-at-it/ (Smith vs Talib) 

Literally never! Unprecedented!

Ok, since you want to just reference one of the most obnoxious WR's in NFL history and who he matches up with after likely many heated exchanges, let's filter the results.

Name the QBs that get consistently torn apart like I'm referencing. Dilfer didn't when he was in Baltimore, who was in a similar position that Bortles is in.

Archived