Bengals to hire Teryl Austin as Defensive Coordinator

.Buzz

8 minutes ago, theJ said:

The team is set up for a 4-3.  I don't want anything to do with a coordinator that forces a transition to a 3-4 just because that's the system he knows how to coach.  A good coach adapts his system to the players.

That being said, i'd be good with Fangio because i don't think he's going to force anything.

The thing is there are so many hybrid, nickel, etc... formations these days that it really doesn't matter IMO if it's a quality coordinator which Fangio is (as you stated).  I think Marvin and Fangio together (assuming they get along), can build a good defense using both 4-3 and 3-4 sets.  Like when Geno needs a breather instead of doing a 4-3 with Sims/Billings/Glasgow, switch to a 3-4 set...

So, Guenther leaves and we assume he's headed for Oakland.  Now we try to hire Austin (who I'm all for), and Oakland is trying to hire him as well?  Good grief!  Guenther will probably end up in Washington and well be on the search.  Del Rio still a possibility?  

51 minutes ago, HangOnSloopy said:

So, Guenther leaves and we assume he's headed for Oakland.  Now we try to hire Austin (who I'm all for), and Oakland is trying to hire him as well?  Good grief!  Guenther will probably end up in Washington and well be on the search.  Del Rio still a possibility?  

Scratch my whining.  

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/1/8/16865572/teryl-austin-joining-bengals-defensive-coordinator-per-espn

56 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

We still need more talent at LB though.

We need to cut Vinny Rey and get a competent backup LB.  Burfict, Vigil, and Jordan Evans isn't a bad 3.  Evans played well in the Ravens game until he got hurt.  After he went out is when the Ravens really started moving the ball on us.  I'm fine with adding more depth or taking a stud like Roquan if he's on the board.  But if Roquan isn't there, we honestly should address bigger needs like OL in the first.  I'd hate to pass up on Quintin Nelson, Orlando Brown, Connor Williams, or heck even Billy Price for a LB that's not Roquan...

26 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

We need to cut Vinny Rey and get a competent backup LB.  Burfict, Vigil, and Jordan Evans isn't a bad 3.  Evans played well in the Ravens game until he got hurt.  After he went out is when the Ravens really started moving the ball on us.  I'm fine with adding more depth or taking a stud like Roquan if he's on the board.  But if Roquan isn't there, we honestly should address bigger needs like OL in the first.  I'd hate to pass up on Quintin Nelson, Orlando Brown, Connor Williams, or heck even Billy Price for a LB that's not Roquan...

I'm not saying take a LB in rd 1 no matter what, just that I'm not confident in Vigil as a starter.  Maybe he develops more and surprises me, but I wasn't all that impressed with him this year.  I think Evans has more upside still and played pretty solid this year.  If good value is there at LB in rd 2 or rd 3, then I think it'd be a good fit.

1 hour ago, ochocinco4pres said:

Vigil is solid, but not a starting LB on a SB team IMO. An ok 3rd LB or Vinny Rey role. 

He absolutely can be.  There's been a lot of bad #3 LBs on Superbowl teams.  Very few teams actually have 3 good LBs outside of say the Seahawks...

3 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

Someone with speed and lots of tape successfully covering TE and rb.

I'm convinced it has more to do with the defensive scheme. It's the bend but don't break, don't allow anything over our heads defense. They want players to catch the ball before the sticks and tackle. I would rather the team work on their tackling this offseason, because it was atrocious this year.

Archived