Bears Hire Matt Nagy

WindyCity

3 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

You have Arians/Brady doubt with Leftwich...but absolutely no similar Belichick doubts about McDaniels. In spite of what McDaniels has already shown as a head coach. 

2I8Mc9q.gif?noredirect

I literally wrote “BB has input on gameplan but it’s McD in the QB’s ear on game day” in the part of my post that you truncated out. Do you dispute that? Are you under the impression that BB is habitually calling offensive plays on game days?

(insert cheeky gif)

I don’t question that BB talks to McD during game planning and says what he sees as far as mismatches, tendencies, etc., but so does every other competent coach. Does he chime in on big moment calls? Probably, but again, so does every other competent coach. There is literally zero evidence I have ever seen though that Belichick designed or designs the offensive schemes they have run or that he’s ever the guy calling the offensive plays throughout the game.

9 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I literally wrote “BB has input on gameplan but it’s McD in the QB’s ear on game day” in the part of my post that you truncated out. Do you dispute that? Are you under the impression that BB is habitually calling offensive plays on game days?

(insert cheeky gif)

I don’t question that BB talks to McD during game planning and says what he sees as far as mismatches, tendencies, etc., but so does every other competent coach. Does he chime in on big moment calls? Probably, but again, so does every other competent coach. There is literally zero evidence I have ever seen though that Belichick designed or designs the offensive schemes they have run or that he’s ever the guy calling the offensive plays throughout the game.

Yeah, the enamoring with Belichick gets old. Amazing DC, amazing HC. Both proven. But he is a meh GM and im sick of hearing he runs the offense. He doesnt. He wouldnt pay McDaniels a low-end HC salary to be a puppet for the offense. But ive heard on here and other boards that Bill would be the GOAT as an OC, HC, GM, etc. People are acting like he walks on water.  Lol

The offense he has input in, but Lovie had input on the offense here. Fox did too. Its commonplace for the HC to have some since they are at the top. But the offense is 100% McDaniels'. He is the one who designs it, adjusts it, and executes the practices and then makes the playcalls. I mean are we giving Nagy undue credit for Fangio's defenses because he had input there??

13 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Yeah, the enamoring with Belichick gets old. Amazing DC, amazing HC. Both proven. But he is a meh GM and im sick of hearing he runs the offense. He doesnt. He wouldnt pay McDaniels a low-end HC salary to be a puppet for the offense. But ive heard on here and other boards that Bill would be the GOAT as an OC, HC, GM, etc. People are acting like he walks on water.  Lol

The offense he has input in, but Lovie had input on the offense here. Fox did too. Its commonplace for the HC to have some since they are at the top. But the offense is 100% McDaniels'. He is the one who designs it, adjusts it, and executes the practices and then makes the playcalls. I mean are we giving Nagy undue credit for Fangio's defenses because he had input there??

Seems like people can make a strong case on both sides.  Clearly NE wants McD around, but at the same time when he was gone they still managed to field very good offenses while McD's two other teams didn't.  If he leaves and NE brings back O'Brien or somebody do you think it's going to fall off a cliff?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

But he was saying he has reservations about Leftwich because of Arians and Brady. I pointed out that he has no doubts about McDaniels because of Belichick, and heck let's throw in Brady, too. And the fact that McDaniels flaked out of one HC job, and flaked off another. 

Seems to me a reasonable argument to make, and he should be giving Leftwich the benefit of the doubt. 

Edited by Heinz D.

33 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

But he was saying he has reservations about Leftwich because of Arians and Brady. I pointed out that he has no doubts about McDaniels because of Belichick, and heck let's throw in Brady, too. And the fact that McDaniels flaked out of one HC job, and flaked off another. 

Seems to me a reasonable argument to make, and he should be giving Leftwich the benefit of the doubt. 

Pretty much any concerns about McDaniels are warranted. Im just sick of hearing how Belichick is basically "Hoodie Jesus" ( I have a number of dedicated Pats fans for friends who actually call him that to irk me). 

NE's offense was disappointing for sure vs BUF but Hoodie Jesus' defense had to grab ankles for Daboll... And ive been mentioning it frequently to those friends. Lol

26 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I specifically mentioned re: McDaniels/Brady about the years McD didn’t have Brady as part of my reasoning. i don’t think your thoughts about McD or thoughts on Leftwich are unreasonable, they’re just different than mine.

I think you’re combining two things under one broader umbrella about McD for me - I DO have some reservations from what happened in Denver and to a lesser extent with Indy. I DO NOT have any reservations about his ability to construct and execute an offensive scheme. Those two things are wholly different. I’m just willing to accept the idea that the immaturity stuff from Denver is something he may have (hopefully has) grown past, because if he has he’s proven that he’s a really good offensive football coach, and any reports I’ve seen out of NE are that he’s well respected in the locker room there. I’m free to give (or not give) the benefit of the doubt to whomever I feel comfortable doing so, same as you. I’m cool with doing so with McD and you’re not. That’s fine. Our opinions are our own. I’m not as enamored with the idea of HC Eberflus as @Madmike90 is for example, but he has his reasons and I accept that. 

My thought process behind my willingness to go with McD has been laid out from the beginning - all the HC candidates have some kind of wart, and he is no different in that regard, just that his warts are different. They’re a deal breaker for some, but not for me. Others’ warts are deal breakers for me, but not others. Pederson being so similar background-wise plus the way his departure went from PHI is a deal breaker for me. Bienemey the same re: the Reid tree (which is unfair to him, but it’s how I feel about it). Flores’ inability to keep a stable offensive environment for his young QB is a deal breaker for me because of where we are with Fields. Not everyone will see those things how I do. 🤷‍♂️🍻 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Pretty much any concerns about McDaniels are warranted. Im just sick of hearing how Belichick is basically "Hoodie Jesus" ( I have a number of dedicated Pats fans for friends who actually call him that to irk me). 

NE's offense was disappointing for sure vs BUF but Hoodie Jesus' defense had to grab ankles for Daboll... And ive been mentioning it frequently to those friends. Lol

Hoodie Jesus made me legit lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

Pederson being so similar background-wise plus the way his departure went from PHI is a deal breaker for me. 

I was actually pretty sour on Pederson until I heard the details surrounding his departure. Seems like upper management was telling him who to hire and fire, and that just ain't right. This is a guy that won a Super Bowl with Nick freakin' Foles for Pete's sake. They should have simply done what must organizations would have--give him another season, and if the team underachieves again, can Pederson then...