2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

8 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I kinda get Clowney. It's comparing a BMW to a Ferrari, but both are at least in the same class. Von Miller's a damn motorcycle in this comparison. 

It's funny, the guy first says he can't move east and west and then says he's like Von.

My overall take on the tape and their comments: Davenport's raw and somewhat tough to figure because of the level of competition. I get (and agree with) their assessment of his lateral quickness. Listen - he's a big dude. 

I dont know. It'll take a more polished and experienced football analyst than me to "see" (either) through Davenports game - or the gems within it.

The guy definitely needs coaching.

14?

Cant say personally.

1 hour ago, Gopackgonerd said:

It's funny, the guy first says he can't move east and west and then says he's like Von.

I think the Von comments were in regards to his forward bursts and the Clowney comments were in connection to size and power comparisons.

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

My overall take on the tape and their comments: Davenport's raw and somewhat tough to figure because of the level of competition. I get (and agree with) their assessment of his lateral quickness. Listen - he's a big dude. 

I dont know. It'll take a more polished and experienced football analyst than me to "see" (either) through Davenports game - or the gems within it.

The guy definitely needs coaching.

14?

Cant say personally.

Ya I'm not a great analyst of a football player myself lol. But I think it's just how the board falls, I'd personally take any of the Top DBs that fall to us over the pass rushers.  Though I do think Davenport proved himself in the senior bowl. 

6 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Ya I'm not a great analyst of a football player myself lol. But I think it's just how the board falls, I'd personally take any of the Top DBs that fall to us over the pass rushers.  Though I do think Davenport proved himself in the senior bowl. 

Here. The "highlight" reel that left me wondering what all the commotion was about Davenport.

10 hours ago, Leader said:

If your assessment is correct - then we dont draft this guy IMO.

Correction: Not at 14

Who do you draft then if you're looking to fill the Edge Rusher spot? Landry is the best athlete in this class, certainly among the top tier guys. 

Clowney and Garrett were the first pick in their classes.

Miller was second.

Joey Bosa was third.

Khalil Mack was fifth. 

+++

You occasionally will find a Justin Houston (kept failing drug tests) or a Danielle Hunter (Backup his whole career at LSU with 4.5 career sacks) but when freak edge rushers fall, there's typically a reason for that tumble. 

23 minutes ago, Leader said:

Here. The "highlight" reel that left me wondering what all the commotion was about Davenport.

You didn't like that tape?

Wasn't real sexy by any means but that first half was a lot of containment rushes. He was getting after it when they let him pin his ears back. It didn't look to me like there was anybody on that Baylor line that he couldn't put on skates. 

Just watched some highlight videos of Davenport/Landry to get a sense of playing styles and it looks like Landry has the better playmaking potential while Davenport has the better pass rush potential.  Not saying I'm even a novice tape watcher type person, but I liked how Landry seemed to have a really strong knack for the football.  Knocking it out of QB hands, tipping it frequently, even intercepting it.  I'd love to have that element back in our front seven. 

I think finesse and athleticism is the future for defenses in the NFL, so I think Landry makes more sense.  Especially for this team with Daniels, Clark and Wilkerson on the defensive line, plus Perry as more of a power rusher, I'd like to see Landry more than Davenport. 

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Just watched some highlight videos of Davenport/Landry to get a sense of playing styles and it looks like Landry has the better playmaking potential while Davenport has the better pass rush potential.  Not saying I'm even a novice tape watcher type person, but I liked how Landry seemed to have a really strong knack for the football.  Knocking it out of QB hands, tipping it frequently, even intercepting it.  I'd love to have that element back in our front seven. 

I think finesse and athleticism is the future for defenses in the NFL, so I think Landry makes more sense.  Especially for this team with Daniels, Clark and Wilkerson on the defensive line, plus Perry as more of a power rusher, I'd like to see Landry more than Davenport. 

I'm with you on Landry. I'm not convinced Davenport is a top 15 pick. If Landry and the top DBs are gone, then it's trade down time. 

I'm not smart enough to make any definitive conclusions, and there are guys spending 100's of hours that still get it wrong, but I wondered if Davenport's journey could be similar to DeMarcus Ware. Drafted out of Troy St at pick 11 of the first round, Ware was a relative unknown. I think my thought process was that Davenport's ceiling could be as high as Ware's, but his floor is much lower than a guy like Landry, for instance. Then again, maybe Calais Campbell is a better comp and Davenport should be a 4-3 guy. I guess that's the real question that needs to be answered

What I like about Davenport is that he can go around the edge but he’s also able to take the shortest distance between 2 points and goes straight through the OT to the QB. He does so quickly too. A little weight room work and I could see him doing it in the nfl as well. 

Archived