2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

Kolloman does good work, I do want to pose the question though: How can you be a Malcolm Jenkins clone AND be able to play every spot in the secondary? Malcolm Jenkins can't even play every safety spot in every scheme?

Also this highlight reel is just reminding me the importance of not having Kellen Mond at QB. Woof. Wonder if he ever looked to his 2nd read in his career. 

I don't mind Fitzpatrick at that free safety spot, but I disagree with the value of that slot CB vs FS. This guy also seems to think that every player is going to be an All-Pro just pacing through these videos. 

9 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

Man, I still don't love Landry's tape. Running through all of 2016 again. I am still not warming up to him at 14

If you want to see him abuse a terrible RT by doing the same dip move over and over watch the wake forest tape lol

1 minute ago, JBURGE25 said:

If you want to see him abuse a terrible RT by doing the same dip move over and over watch the wake forest tape lol

He's certainly got more gross plays than any of the high end guys, don't think anybody is going to dispute that. 

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

He's certainly got more gross plays than any of the high end guys, don't think anybody is going to dispute that. 

I just don't see it with him. Mind you I don't tend to spend a lot of time watching edge rushers, more secondary for me. 

I admit I really like Thad Castle (LVE). Very athletic and moves well for his size.  He's not an edge rusher but his speed and motor is excellent for stopping the run and generating inside rush. Whilst he's very capable dropping back his bread and butter is going downhill and making plays. We could draft him if we plan to let Matthews go next year. I can totally see that happening.

I've been messing around with the Fanspeak mock drafts, changing various settings to see what kind of results I would get. No matter what I do I just cannot seem to draft Fitzpatrick. Similarly with Roquan Smith. However Davenport is commonly available as is LVE. I think its too early to draft LVE here but unfortunately he often doesnt make it our 2nd round pick. Its the same with Isaiah Oliver...he doesnt make to our 2nd round pick either. Both scenarios would require a trade up to the 2nd round.

Btw its been a long time since we had a 5'10" corner rated as the best corner in the draft. Is Denzel Ward really that good? I have been unimpressed with his lack of physicality on the line but he seems quick, smooth and consistent shadowing receivers and preventing completions. When I watch him play he feels like a top level slot corner in the NFL rather than on the outside. Imagining him facing Jones, Jeffery, Allen, Hopkins, Thomas, Green, Evans. Can he do it? i'm not so sure.

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Kolloman does good work, I do want to pose the question though: How can you be a Malcolm Jenkins clone AND be able to play every spot in the secondary? Malcolm Jenkins can't even play every safety spot in every scheme?

Also this highlight reel is just reminding me the importance of not having Kellen Mond at QB. Woof. Wonder if he ever looked to his 2nd read in his career. 

I don't mind Fitzpatrick at that free safety spot, but I disagree with the value of that slot CB vs FS. This guy also seems to think that every player is going to be an All-Pro just pacing through these videos. 

Ya he makes a lot of claims but I do like how he breaks it down.

Again, I see Leighton as a WILL in the pros, like Roquan Smith. I don't see EDGE ability there, athletic though he is. It's just not his game.

If you're looking for a more realistic/available alternative to Edmunds should consider Rashaan Evans.

Voch finally did a breakdown of him, check it out:

Also: https://saturdayblitz.com/2018/03/18/2018-nfl-draft-alabama-linebacker-rashaan-evans/

Definitely one of my favorite players in the draft. He's a real chess-piece for the front seven.

1 hour ago, Gopher Trace said:

Again, I see Leighton as a WILL in the pros, like Roquan Smith. I don't see EDGE ability there, athletic though he is. It's just not his game.

If you're looking for a more realistic/available alternative to Edmunds should consider Rashaan Evans.

Voch finally did a breakdown of him, check it out:

Also: https://saturdayblitz.com/2018/03/18/2018-nfl-draft-alabama-linebacker-rashaan-evans/

Definitely one of my favorite players in the draft. He's a real chess-piece for the front seven.

Eh he refused to run a 40 at both Combine and Pro Day, couple that with his awful jumps, tells me he's neither explosive nor fast. Evans is a big no from me, I have a day 3 grade on him. Don't think he's athletic enough to play in the NFL.

I don't know if it has been said before but I see a trade with the Raiders makes absolute sense. They are not a divisional or conference rival. There is the McKenzie connection. Also they can move down a few spots and still be able to get what they are looking for in either Smith or Vea. It would cost us our third rounder to make that move. I just don't see the value in the edge guys at 14 and I see the ability to pick one of James, Minka or Ward at 10. With the assumption that 4QBs will go prior to that, as will Chubb, Barkley, Nelson and most likely Edmunds. We got da chronic need for DBs. We got the picks to move up. It just makes too much sense not to happen in my mind.

Also just wanted to know if anyone had any inside info on this, hypothetically would a trade like the one I described be typically already on the table pre-draft or would it all go down on the night as the picks came out and the board revealed itself, or would it all happen once Oakland was on the clock?

2 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

I don't know if it has been said before but I see a trade with the Raiders makes absolute sense. They are not a divisional or conference rival. There is the McKenzie connection. Also they can move down a few spots and still be able to get what they are looking for in either Smith or Vea. It would cost us our third rounder to make that move. I just don't see the value in the edge guys at 14 and I see the ability to pick one of James, Minka or Ward at 10. With the assumption that 4QBs will go prior to that, as will Chubb, Barkley, Nelson and most likely Edmunds. We got da chronic need for DBs. We got the picks to move up. It just makes too much sense not to happen in my mind.

Also just wanted to know if anyone had any inside info on this, hypothetically would a trade like the one I described be typically already on the table pre-draft or would it all go down on the night as the picks came out and the board revealed itself, or would it all happen once Oakland was on the clock?

I think you're overly optimistic thinking the Raiders would move down like that for just a third, especially if the QB situation is looking good for other potential trade down suitors. 

It would definitely be done with Oakland on the clock. There's no incentive for Oakland to make the trade now. Maybe something wild happens on draft day and Chubb slides to 10. The teams would have the outline of the trade lined up in advance, but it wouldn't be submitted to the league until the team picking at 9 submits their pick. 

7 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I think you're overly optimistic thinking the Raiders would move down like that for just a third, especially if the QB situation is looking good for other potential trade down suitors.

I was taking a third based off the draft value chart, as applicable as that is today... I think though the QBs bar Jackson will be gone before 10. 

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Eh he refused to run a 40 at both Combine and Pro Day, couple that with his awful jumps, tells me he's neither explosive nor fast. Evans is a big no from me, I have a day 3 grade on him. Don't think he's athletic enough to play in the NFL.

And here I thought everyone would think I’m crazy for liking Shaun Dion Hamilton better than Evans.

Archived