2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Not sure why we're bringing in Derwin, guy checked the boxes throughout the process. 

Vea didn't do position drills, jumps or agility drills due to a hammy, so they probably had an incomplete profile on him.

Hughes has the North Carolina thing so you need to check off that character box in person.

Not really sure why we need another look at Derwin.

More than likely it's another chance to put him on the board, test his football IQ, talk about how they'd play him, and just get a better sense of who he is as a person.

That said, if Edmunds or Roquan slide a bit, I would love either of them.  If as many QBs go quick as people are expecting, there's a chance one of those two, Denzel Ward, or Derwin/Fitzpatrick slides to 14.  I'd be thrilled with any of them.  Little early for LVE imo, but I like him a lot.  But LB, S, and CB are all pretty deep this year, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Packers moved back with a QB desperate team and still got LVE or Rashaan Evans in the first.  

I hate Ridley as a prospect.  Rather have Sutton, the WR from Maryland, or a few of the 2nd round guys.  

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Not sure why we're bringing in Derwin, guy checked the boxes throughout the process. 

Vea didn't do position drills, jumps or agility drills due to a hammy, so they probably had an incomplete profile on him.

Hughes has the North Carolina thing so you need to check off that character box in person.

To discuss scheme fit? Ask what other teams are tell him? If they are truly targeting him and this isn’t smokescreen they could be getting all sorts of information.

Just now, Ragnarok said:

More than likely it's another chance to put him on the board, test his football IQ, talk about how they'd play him, and just get a better sense of who he is as a person.

That said, if Edmunds or Roquan slide a bit, I would love either of them.  If as many QBs go quick as people are expecting, there's a chance one of those two, Denzel Ward, or Derwin/Fitzpatrick slides to 14.  I'd be thrilled with any of them.  Little early for LVE imo, but I like him a lot.  But LB, S, and CB are all pretty deep this year, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Packers moved back with a QB desperate team and still got LVE or Rashaan Evans in the first.  

I hate Ridley as a prospect.  Rather have Sutton, the WR from Maryland, or a few of the 2nd round guys.  

I just liked the way Ted did it, use the visits for late round guys and any early picks that have character concerns/ incomplete profiles.

You've had a chance to talk to Derwin at the Combine and his pro day and he has good tape, you should be pretty much set on the straight forward guys like James, Fitzpatrick, Ward, Landry, Davenport, LVE, Smith, Edmunds.

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

My thought is they want Pettine to pick the guys brain and figure out how comfortable he is in the role we would have planned for him. Whats interesting is the Packers must think there is a good opportunity to get him, whether they have to trade or not. Personally I felt he would be gone 7-8 slots before we pick. 

I just liked the way Ted did it, use the visits for late round guys and any early picks that have character concerns/ incomplete profiles.

You've had a chance to talk to Derwin at the Combine and his pro day and he has good tape, you should be pretty much set on the straight forward guys like James, Fitzpatrick, Ward, Landry, Davenport, LVE, Smith, Edmunds.

True, but there is a limited amount of time teams get with prospects at those events.  This would allow them more time to test or question him on multiple roles within the defense.

Plus, they could have their doctors do another evaluation on him because he did get hurt in college.  

5 minutes ago, tredpack said:

My thought is they want Pettine to pick the guys brain and figure out how comfortable he is in the role we would have planned for him. Whats interesting is the Packers must think there is a good opportunity to get him, whether they have to trade or not. Personally I felt he would be gone 7-8 slots before we pick. 

He's the most likely of the big 5 (Chubb, Fitzpatrick, Ward, Edmunds, James) to reach pick 14 IMO.

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Ted also didn’t do his best work in the first objectively. Maybe it’s something Brian always thought Ted could of done better had he had more information?

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

He's the most likely of the big 5 (Chubb, Fitzpatrick, Ward, Edmunds, James) to reach pick 14 IMO.

Probably true-- my prediction as of last night all of the above 5 will be gone, and we'll draft one of the tackles. Not what I want, but I what I think will happen. Hope I'm wrong!

20 minutes ago, tredpack said:

Probably true-- my prediction as of last night all of the above 5 will be gone, and we'll draft one of the tackles. Not what I want, but I what I think will happen. Hope I'm wrong!

Lamar is going to sneak in the top 14 and push one of them down. I also think Landry is going to go higher than people think...

36 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Based on draft capital, hitting on the 1st and 2nd round is just as ...if not more important....than hitting on the 6-7 round picks.    Doing your due diligence on those top players is not a bad thing.    GB does not often get a chance to pick this high in round 1 (without having to trade up), so making this one count and get a top tier contributor is very important.

For how often posters state that other teams success can be driven from their high 1st round draft picks, GB really needs to make a pick that becomes a difference maker with pick 14.

12 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Doing your due diligence on those top players is not a bad thing.   

No its not, and that's a part of the draft assessments that many forget about.

There is so much to be learned: Were you right in your assessments ? Why or why not ?

If he came available later in a trade, are we interested ? What about when he hits FA, is that a guy we want to pursue ? GB has a dossier on every player that comes into the league and they use it for both current and future purposes. IF you projected James to become a top player- were you correct ? What about the medical - if you took a pass on a guy, was that the correct call in the short term/long term ?

Packers college and pro personnel will grab any snippet of info to update their files. Whether it helps on draft day or in the future, there is so much to be gleaned from these visits and tests. Once these guys are drafted, you don't get a chance to chat with them except at the Pro Bowl. This is the time to do it

39 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

No its not, and that's a part of the draft assessments that many forget about.

There is so much to be learned: Were you right in your assessments ? Why or why not ?

If he came available later in a trade, are we interested ? What about when he hits FA, is that a guy we want to pursue ? GB has a dossier on every player that comes into the league and they use it for both current and future purposes. IF you projected James to become a top player- were you correct ? What about the medical - if you took a pass on a guy, was that the correct call in the short term/long term ?

Packers college and pro personnel will grab any snippet of info to update their files. Whether it helps on draft day or in the future, there is so much to be gleaned from these visits and tests. Once these guys are drafted, you don't get a chance to chat with them except at the Pro Bowl. This is the time to do it

No one's forgetting about it, guys like Derwin James have been on draft radar since 2016. His area scout has probably talked with Jumbo Fisher and his position coach dozens of times, they met at the Combine and probably at his pro day too. Just find it interesting they still need more time. Ted never brought these guys in, he used these 30 visits to recruit UDFAs and it developed into probably the most successful UDFA program in the NFL. Not saying Gute is wrong for bringing in the first rounders, just an interesting change.

No one's forgetting about it, guys like Derwin James have been on draft radar since 2016. His area scout has probably talked with Jumbo Fisher and his position coach dozens of times, they met at the Combine and probably at his pro day too. Just find it interesting they still need more time. Ted never brought these guys in, he used these 30 visits to recruit UDFAs and it developed into probably the most successful UDFA program in the NFL. Not saying Gute is wrong for bringing in the first rounders, just an interesting change.

Between 2016 and now, there has been a DC change in GB.  That may have a pretty significant influence on what type of players are coveted in GB.

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

Between 2016 and now, there has been a DC change in GB.  That may have a pretty significant influence on what type of players are coveted in GB.

Not really. Doesn't change the scouting report at all, James is who he is regardless of who anyone's DC is. May change the grade a bit depending on scheme fit, but Pettine should've been at the Combine and these pro days. If he's not, there's an issue I have a problem with.

Archived