2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

The article's a couple days old, so perhaps its been read already but wondering if it forecasts on our draft plans.....

"Josh Jones best performances in his rookie season came when he was playing linebacker. Rather than reading and processing too much information, playing the Nitro linebacker spot allowed Jones to react to what was in front of him and use his impressive athleticism to close on the football.

Mike McCarthy said the Packers plan to train Jones exclusively at the safety position in spring practices: “We’re going to start him in the safety room this year, that will be the starting point,” McCarthy still envisions some roles for him as a linebacker, saying “there will be packages where he may have other opportunities.”

So - is this all just off season, doesnt mean much of anything type chatter (?) or - could it mean the GBPs are focusing on one of the fast ILBs / or other Safeties in the draft

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2018/4/7/17209678/what-are-the-packers-planning-for-josh-jones-in-2018-safety-linebacker-hybrid-role

2 hours ago, Leader said:

off season, doesnt mean much of anything type chatter

Probably this.

As for your question about it pertaining to a pick, I don’t think they make these types of decisions based off an assumption of a certain player falling to them in the draft. There’s still a fair amount of uncertainty on who will even be available when they pick

3 hours ago, Leader said:

The article's a couple days old, so perhaps its been read already but wondering if it forecasts on our draft plans.....

"Josh Jones best performances in his rookie season came when he was playing linebacker. Rather than reading and processing too much information, playing the Nitro linebacker spot allowed Jones to react to what was in front of him and use his impressive athleticism to close on the football.

Mike McCarthy said the Packers plan to train Jones exclusively at the safety position in spring practices: “We’re going to start him in the safety room this year, that will be the starting point,” McCarthy still envisions some roles for him as a linebacker, saying “there will be packages where he may have other opportunities.”

So - is this all just off season, doesnt mean much of anything type chatter (?) or - could it mean the GBPs are focusing on one of the fast ILBs / or other Safeties in the draft

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2018/4/7/17209678/what-are-the-packers-planning-for-josh-jones-in-2018-safety-linebacker-hybrid-role

I think it just means that he needs to get better at safety in order to replace Morgan Burnett

I could somehow see Ward gettin to us if the 4 qbs go top 10, and davenport/chubb/landry go to Cleveland/bucs/washington.

that's 7 guys, and barkley, Nelson, Roquan Smith, Derwin James, Edmunds make 12.  

If an OT goes in the top part, that would get us Ward.  If a WR goes in the top part, that gets us Ward too.  Clearly asking a lot for someone to take those LBs over Ward, but it does seem the CB needy teams are also Edge needy, and/or QB needy.

CB needy teams

Cleveland, Denver, Tampa, Chicago, San Francisco, Oakland, Washington.  To me Oakland is the biggest threat to go off script and grab offense because of Gruden.

"Anthony Miller often looks like a carbon copy of former Packers receiver Greg Jennings, once a second-round pick who became a favorite target for both Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers. Jennings wasn’t the biggest or the fastest player on the field, but he was the master of manipulating coverage and getting open on his own, using route-running and quickness to create throwing windows for Favre and Rodgers. Miller has the same exact feel, with the ability to use subtle movements to gain the inch of advantage he needs to create yards of separation at all levels of the field"

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/04/09/anthony-miller-could-be-packers-next-great-draft-pick-at-wr/

Tremon Smith, Central Arkansas cornerback.  Anybody have an opinion on him?

I haven't watched any film, only did a google search after a guy on another website asked me about him.

Looks intriguing.  Decent height, little light, seems bright...is fast.  At the very least seems like a good developmental corner and special teams guy right away....

Just curious if anyone has done a deeper dive on him.

18 minutes ago, Leader said:

"Anthony Miller often looks like a carbon copy of former Packers receiver Greg Jennings, once a second-round pick who became a favorite target for both Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers. Jennings wasn’t the biggest or the fastest player on the field, but he was the master of manipulating coverage and getting open on his own, using route-running and quickness to create throwing windows for Favre and Rodgers. Miller has the same exact feel, with the ability to use subtle movements to gain the inch of advantage he needs to create yards of separation at all levels of the field"

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/04/09/anthony-miller-could-be-packers-next-great-draft-pick-at-wr/

Want him pretty bad. Only downside to Miller is that he's already 23... At least he's not as old as Fackrell though.

I love Edmunds, he reminds me of another guy I loved,  Aaron Curry,  god was I wrong about him.....scary thought drafting the next curry.  

Best scenario now if Mayfield falling to 14, trading with Pats, 14 for 23 and 31. Then drafting 23- Landry and 31 - Alexander

5 minutes ago, fattlipp said:

I love Edmunds, he reminds me of another guy I loved,  Aaron Curry,  god was I wrong about him.....scary thought drafting the next curry.  

Best scenario now if Mayfield falling to 14, trading with Pats, 14 for 23 and 31. Then drafting 23- Landry and 31 - Alexander

I'm torn on the idea of trading down. On the one had, this is as high as we've been picking in years. On the other hand, it seems apparent that this roster is much weaker than we think and Gute is trying to get it turned over quickly.

18 minutes ago, fattlipp said:

What happened to Curry? Why'd he wash out? Or did he wash out?

Was it injury related? Bad team/scheme fit? Or bad talent evaluation?

30 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

I'm torn on the idea of trading down. On the one had, this is as high as we've been picking in years. On the other hand, it seems apparent that this roster is much weaker than we think and Gute is trying to get it turned over quickly.

I feel the same way. But if 14 rolls around and none of the top D prospects have fallen (Ward, Fitzpatrick, Edmunds) then I would happily trade down to 23 and get a guy like Landry or LVE. I'd probably want one of those guys at 23 if we were forced to make the pick, so trading down and getting an extra CB/WR/LB in the 1st is a great move.

2 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

I feel the same way. But if 14 rolls around and none of the top D prospects have fallen (Ward, Fitzpatrick, Edmunds) then I would happily trade down to 23 and get a guy like Landry or LVE. I'd probably want one of those guys at 23 if we were forced to make the pick, so trading down and getting an extra CB/WR/LB in the 1st is a great move.

I doubt Landry is there at 23, but that would be nice.

Archived