2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

On 12/15/2017 at 3:51 PM, jleisher said:

Looked at Drafttek.com's 4 round mock draft.  They have Packers taking James Washington WR Oklahoma, Jaylon Ferguson Edge LA Tech, Jaire Alexander CB Louisville and Kendrick Norton DE Miami.  What do you think of that?  Also, any 411 on Ebenezer Ogundeko Edge Tenn St.?  My sleeper pick in rd #6 or #7, UW Jack Cichy ILB/OLB.

James Washington in the 1st round?  Not going to happen.  Not a 1st round talent, and doesn't fit our offensive scheme at all.

On 12/15/2017 at 3:56 PM, jleisher said:

Isn't Chubb considered more of a 4-3 DE? What about Hubbard from Ohio St.?  

Honestly, at this point they're pretty much the one and the same.  The only difference is more responsibilities.  Most defenses utilize both looks, and it's more in terms of formation of your defensive line than anything else.  And the whole coverage thing gets overblown since you don't ask your 34 OLB's to run out in man coverage very often.  More often than not, you're dropping them off into zone coverage.  I don't really have any concerns with Chubb in a 34 defense.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Honestly, at this point they're pretty much the one and the same.  The only difference is more responsibilities.  Most defenses utilize both looks, and it's more in terms of formation of your defensive line than anything else.  And the whole coverage thing gets overblown since you don't ask your 34 OLB's to run out in man coverage very often.  More often than not, you're dropping them off into zone coverage.  I don't really have any concerns with Chubb in a 34 defense.

Seriously, get the best pass rusher. Hopefully he's so good you never even consider dropping him back.

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

Seriously, get the best pass rusher. Hopefully he's so good you never even consider dropping him back.

And with the way we play our defense, I'd argue we're probably closer to a 42 defense than a true 34 defense.  I'd consider our EDGE players to be more like traditional 43 DEs than true 34 OLBs.  When people think of 34 OLBs, they have a tendency to think of the undersized pass rushers who don't fit in a 43 defense.

Just now, CWood21 said:

And with the way we play our defense, I'd argue we're probably closer to a 42 defense than a true 34 defense.  I'd consider our EDGE players to be more like traditional 43 DEs than true 34 OLBs.  When people think of 34 OLBs, they have a tendency to think of the undersized pass rushers who don't fit in a 43 defense.

If it was up to me, we'd replace "4-3" with "40 front" and replace 3-4 with "20 Front" (or "30 Front" if people are purists).

Same goes with the positions: 

3-4 NT, 3-4 Power End, and  4-3 1-Tech are all BIG.

4-3 3-T, 3-4 3-T, and 3-4 Free End are all called UT (or Penetrators)

4-3 DE and 3-4 OLB are all Edge 

4-3 OLB, 4-3 ILB, and 3-4 ILB get labelled Mike and Knight (Or whatever you call the OLB that plays in both the Nickel and Base).

Strong Safety would be Line Safety

Free Safety would be Deep Safety

CB would be called "Don't ******* get beat deep and learn how to catch"

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

If it was up to me, we'd replace "4-3" with "40 front" and replace 3-4 with "20 Front" (or "30 Front" if people are purists).

4-3 OLB, 4-3 ILB, and 3-4 ILB get labelled Mike and Knight (Or whatever you call the OLB that plays in both the Nickel and Base).

This is a perfect break down of Dom’s Defense. If you are looking for Packers draft targets this is your guide.

25 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Then you look for a Charles Woodson, Casey Hayward, Damarious Randall like player for the STAR. Someone who's ball skills and instincts jump out as the premier skillset, you can hide a lack of true athletic ability there if that player is forcing 5-10 turnovers a year like we've routinely gotten out of that slot.

5 hours ago, CWood21 said:

James Washington in the 1st round?  Not going to happen.  Not a 1st round talent, and doesn't fit our offensive scheme at all.

I'm not a Washington guy, but Nelson is not good anymore. Its painful to watch. Cobb is JAG and plays a pretty mitigated value position. Nelson and Cobb are our 3rd and 4th highest paid players. That is a problem, and the lack of talent was evident when Adams went down today. 

GB is going to have to find a way to free up money from Jordy, Randall's contract and looks to add + players who catch the ball this offseason. WR could certainly be in play during round 1-2 even with the major edge, CB deficiencies. 

Just now, DocHambone said:

I'm not a Washington guy, but Nelson is not good anymore. Its painful to watch. Cobb is JAG and plays a pretty mitigated value position. Nelson and Cobb are our 3rd and 4th highest paid players. That is a problem, and the lack of talent was evident when Adams went down today.

WR is not a position we will draft as long as Thompson has even an unofficial say.  It's not a value position, and we've been all about value in the first round since he's been here.

If anybody wanted any more evidence to see why WR isn't a good idea in round one, look at the last 12 receivers drafted in the first round.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

We need pass rushers. We need lots of pass rushers. 

Ban anybody who says we should draft a receiver instead of a pass rusher. 

I don't care if Jordy Nelson literally has a leg amputated this offseason and Randall Cobb converts to CB, there is no reason to draft anything other than defense in the first round this year.  ESPECIALLY when McCarthy breaks our hearts and Capers comes back. 

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Ban anybody who says we should draft a receiver instead of a pass rusher. 

I don't care if Jordy Nelson literally has a leg amputated this offseason and Randall Cobb converts to CB, there is no reason to draft anything other than defense in the first round this year.  ESPECIALLY when McCarthy breaks our hearts and Capers comes back. 

It's not an either or thing. I'd advocate an edge, wr and cb in rounds 1-3. If it was my way, that would be the order as well. Dunno how the board will break though. If they saw tremendous value at the WR position in RD1 (they wont, its not that type of class), I dont think past tendencies would negate Thompson from taking a WR. In fact I recall a story where Jordy was their guy RD1 when they traded back with the Jets. Dunno the validity but it makes sense. 

Archived