2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

3 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

I know speculation is that TT will be gone in the next year or two anyways. But if we come out of our best draft position in a decade with less than 2 guys that can contribute from day one, I will be upset and will be pounding the table for TT to get out. Same way we have to capitalize on advancing in the playoffs, we have to approach the draft the same way. We need immediate production from our early rounders this year. No cute projects.

I just don't know how realistic of an expectation that is without trading back into the first round or having an injury derail a productive starter. Let's say you don't cut people. . .

If your first pick is an OLB, that's probably one guy who at least sees snaps.

What are the other spots a guy would see real reps? CB if you don't resign House or you have injuries, but that's a crapshoot on the number of reps. 

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I just don't know how realistic of an expectation that is without trading back into the first round or having an injury derail a productive starter. Let's say you don't cut people. . .

What are the other spots a guy would see real reps? CB if you don't resign House or you have injuries, but that's a crapshoot on the number of reps. 

CB, WR, TE (not in the 1st or 2nd), DE

21 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

a more likely scenario is that Key falls to us because of the off field baggage. 

Absolutely.  Far more likely we're looking at Harold Landry or Arden Key than we are of being in range of selecting Bradley Chubb.

8 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Right now, we've got enough moving parts it's probably not glaringly obvious.  I think a TE could play Year 1, although the history of production out of TEs in their first year is underwhelming.  Depending on what happens with Cobb/Nelson, a rookie WR could play a sizeable role.  I think RG is a position that a rookie could step in and play right away.  Defensively, I think a DL could get reps but probably not much.  OLB like you mentioned.  Depending on what the Packers do with Burnett and Jones, a rookie ILB could play next to Blake Martinez.  Likewise, a rookie S could play as well.  Until the Packers re-sign Davon House or sign another veteran corner, CB could be had for PT by a rookie.

6 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

Given our history, I suspect we do but wish we didn't

This goes both ways...if you're a crappy team with a lousy roster - its a easier to find day 1 starters. When you're a talented team with a decent roster, its harder to crack the lineup as a rookie and that's not always a bad thing

I'll also note that not even CMIII was a Day 1 starter, he worked his way into the lineup after a few games

I also think AG20 is commenting on the "quality" of this draft as much as GB's prowess in finding talented guys

30 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

If Chubb/Key/Landry/Clemson guys can't beat out Fackrell and Biegel we've got a real serious problem on our hands.

Unless we go out and sign a top OLB FA I don't see this at all. Clay obviously needs a decrease in snaps, Brooks is a FA and Fackrell and Biegel we're invisible, who are you giving these snaps to?

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

If Chubb/Key/Landry/Clemson guys can't beat out Fackrell and Biegel we've got a real serious problem on our hands.

Unless we go out and sign a top OLB FA I don't see this at all. Clay obviously needs a decrease in snaps, Brooks is a FA and Fackrell and Biegel we're invisible, who are you giving these snaps to?

Dude, the second line of the post literally says, "If your first pick is an OLB, that's probably one guy who at least sees snaps"

3 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

This goes both ways...if you're a crappy team with a lousy roster - its a easier to find day 1 starters. When you're a talented team with a decent roster, its harder to crack the lineup as a rookie and that's not always a bad thing

I'll also note that not even CMIII was a Day 1 starter, he worked his way into the lineup after a few games

I also think AG20 is commenting on the "quality" of this draft as much as GB's prowess in finding talented guys

Right, I'm not disagreeing with any assessment of the talent of our roster or the draft class, I'm just saying I Wouldn't put down money that something(Injury, suspension, etc.) won't come up over the offseason/TC that will end up with an open slot at TE, WR, CB, or LB that we aren't looking at at the moment.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Admittedly, I haven't really dug into the safeties yet but is there really an impact safety?  I mean, you've got Minkah Fitzpatrick (not sure where I fall on the is he a CB or S discussion) and Derwin James (up and down year), but I'm not sure what's behind that.

Ah, nevermind then.  I thought Fitzpatrick was supposed to be like Adams/Hooker level hype. 

Archived