2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

On 01/01/2018 at 11:47 PM, HorizontoZenith said:

Apparently Sitton, Lang, Linsley, Tretter, Bakhtiari juxtaposed by Biegel and Fackrell isn't enough for some people to get it.  They get upset because, you know... common sense, and then they try to act like best player available is applicable because they're upset about having their opinions proven to be bad. 

The history of the position proves that it's not a position that should be taken in the first round period.....................

I'll give you another good example of that. If you draft a guard in the first round, and he IS great, what do you do when his contract expires ?

The 49ers had that situation. They drafted guard Iupati in the first round, years back. He turned out to be everything they hoped for in a pick. He lasted there until his second contract, but would have been so expensive for the 49ers they then lost him then (to the Cards who paid him $8m per year in 2015). You don't want to tie up huge salaries at this position. That was a Ron Wolf mantra - Ted is also from that 'tree' and very possibly the next Packer GM will be, as well. Spend your big bucks on key positions like offensive tackles, good D linemen, pass rushers, receivers, corners, and (of course) QB.

I would much rather have a stud pass rusher than a stud guard, don't think anyone would argue different. Just because we draft X guy at the 14 slot doesn't mean he is going to be a stud. Whether he be a guard or edge, or CB. Its not like drafting Nelson is the only way to go, I don't think anyone is saying that. All that is being brought up is, the guy has a good chance of being one of the best guards in the league. Who wouldn't want to draft a player knowing he has an extremely high probability he'll be a pro bowl player for the large majority of his career? Give me a pro-bowl guard over Datone Jones/Harrell any day of the week. To me just about any perennial pro-bowl player on O or D is worth a 1st rounder excluding maybe FB. 

For some reason with the Thompson situation turning out the way it has, I think its even less likely we'll get Nelson. Heck from some scouts he may not even be around for our pick! I really think WR, EDGE, CB, ILB, FS, DL are all in play now. Where before I thought there was zero chance we'd go WR, ILB--its even more up in the air now than usual. 

Again, no one is angry, upset. Its a discussion they happen a lot on here. Right? 

I like Nelson and from what I’ve read, your right, he could and should be great. I also agree that taking a guard that high and spending that kind of money is not a good idea. 

What if, all those QB’s don’t go that high? Say just one. Then Barkley, Chubb, Landry, Ferrell, Key, Ward, Fitzpatrick, Jackson, Eq Brown, Wilkins, Derwin James and Ridley are all gone?  I guess I’d go with McGlinchley but I could see a worst case scenario where he would be a smart pick. 

EDIT: I think this draft is pretty good for 8-12 picks, then the next 20-40 are really close. Reaching for a position of more need at 14 might net us a second round talent while passing on a top 5 talent in Nelson. I don't think the bottom half of the 1st round and top of the 2nd are a whole lot different in talent. At least as of now.

I also think that if the woste case situation happened I'd try and bail and let someone else take an OT or OG and add picks.

8 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

I like Nelson and from what I’ve read, your right, he could and should be great. I also agree that taking a guard that high and spending that kind of money is not a good idea. 

What if, all those QB’s don’t go that high? Say just one. Then Barkley, Chubb, Landry, Ferrell, Key, Ward, Fitzpatrick, Jackson, Eq Brown, Wilkins, Derwin James and Ridley are all gone?  I guess I’d go with McGlinchley but I could see a worst case scenario where he would be a smart pick. 

Just for the sake of arguing, lets say he is a top 5 guard in the league day 1. Tying up a top 5 guard on rookie contract for 5 years sounds like a pretty good deal to me. I think the major issue people have with taking Nelson is the fact its a guard in round 1. When our team could use the talent else where. Which I agree with. We need pass rush and guys that cover, also speed, a wr, a te...the list just keeps growing. 

Ultimately, we all just want a stud a player to be drafted. The pro Nelson guys feel he has the best chance of being a stud. Plus he enjoys tea and wrestling.

Just in looking at the draft right now, I have a hard time believing that BPA for GB's pick won't be an offensive lineman or WR.

I'm actually okay with a lineman, especially if it is a RT with LT feet who can swing over in a pinch.  

I hope for a pass rusher, or a stud corner, but I have to admit how important it is to keep #12 upright.

I think we find a very good WR in round 2.

11 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Eh Roquan is really frickin good. If he's explosive like Willis/Wagner (under 4.6 40 close to 40" vert) I'd have no issue there. You would be looking at a 3 down player then and one who would be valuable in both pass/run game.

Still a no from me. Highest pick we have had in 9 years with holes at premium positions and we go ILB? Isn't this what we drafted Josh Jones for? We have a stud in Blake Martinez, Jake Ryan is a decent 2 down player. I think Jones has more of a future at linebacker than at safety. ILB is probably at the very bottom of my wants in the 1st round.

11 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Eh Roquan is really frickin good. If he's explosive like Willis/Wagner (under 4.6 40 close to 40" vert) I'd have no issue there. You would be looking at a 3 down player then and one who would be valuable in both pass/run game.

I agree with all of this.  I just don't think that's the direction GB will go at #14

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

I agree with all of this.  I just don't think that's the direction GB will go at #14

You have to give some consideration to Roquan Smith at #14, but I think the Packers will go with a pure pass rusher of some sort.   You never know though .. the Packers could deem Smith the best player on the board and then make efforts to secure pass rushers after that.

Is Ridley even a consideration? 

See him opening up holes for everyone on offense. Usually not a fan of WR rd 1, but I have to admit, seeing Rodgers with that speed at WR is intriguing. Davis has the speed, just dont think it translates well. Ridley can run routes, and run them faaaast. I picture Ridley getting a few big plays in the first couple weeks, then opening holes for the other three wrs underneath.  

I'll keep saying it. The EDGES have me worried this year. Its what we need though!

2 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I'll give you another good example of that. If you draft a guard in the first round, and he IS great, what do you do when his contract expires ?

The 49ers had that situation. They drafted guard Iupati in the first round, years back. He turned out to be everything they hoped for in a pick. He lasted there until his second contract, but would have been so expensive for the 49ers they then lost him then (to the Cards who paid him $8m per year in 2015). You don't want to tie up huge salaries at this position. That was a Ron Wolf mantra - Ted is also from that 'tree' and very possibly the next Packer GM will be, as well. Spend your big bucks on key positions like offensive tackles, good D linemen, pass rushers, receivers, corners, and (of course) QB.

I like your avatar!  Welcome.

PC

Archived