Hurricane Dwayne Haskins (QB) (The Ohio State University)

chargerbuckeye

This kid is likely gonna be our QB Next year, He is also draft eligible next year. The guy moves the ball down the field with smooth precision, strong arm, very accurate. What RD do you guys think he may go in, Or is it too early to determine. I think this qb is a stud

Haskins is a very impressive young passer the little time he did get late in the year and at times earlier in the year.  Still to call him this magic QB and stud or a potential #1 QB is a bit much.  As a redshirt FR QB there are other freshman QBs in the nation and most are true freshman who are just as good if not better prospects right now than Haskins.  I would say possible 4 if not 5 who are better potentially than him.

Will be fun to see a better passing QB in that offense but remember JT Barrett was very good as a freshman passing the ball.  JT Barrett put up fine stats almost his entire career but no one talks about him as a great QB.  Lost a lot of big games but was able to overcome that this year a few times.  Still he is not a great passer regardless of his statistics.  Will see if Haskins can show more potential as a passer and not be so dependent on the run.  The offense in general is a little gimmicky and always will be, that is what everyone does to keep inexperienced defense from feeling comfortable and hesitate a little.  Sure they will run the exact same stuff next year, just Haskins might be able to make a few throws and be a little more consistent than Barrett was.  Will be hard to be as good of a leader though and be able to fight through adversity like Barrett did his entire career.  

Haskins puts a ridiculous amount of zip on his passes...

I've got high expectations for him in 2018, especially with the whole receiving corp and both Weber and Dobbins being back. I think the Michigan game tells you all you need to know as far as how much better the passing game will look with him at the helm. Barrett was 3/8 for 30 yards and the offense was doing absolutely nothing before Haskins came in and led 3 scoring drives, going 6/7 for 94 yards making clutch throws. The arm talent is certainly there; the only concern is Urban Meyer. He's the only thing that could prevent Haskins from having a big year. Meyer needs to allow the offense to be changed to fit his skillset. 

Haskins has the most arm talent that Ohio State has had at QB in the last 20 years (accuracy, touch, strength), but it's still a ridiculously small amount of tape.  Let's not get too ahead of ourselves.  I think Martell is a bigger threat than Burrow to win the job over him as Martell fits Urban's offense better and isn't a slouch throwing it either.  However, with both Dobbins and Weber back next year, they may go away from the read/option as much as they relied on it with Barrett.

34 minutes ago, isongd said:

Not to be a debbie downer, but doesn't he still have to beat out Burrow and Martell for the starting job?   

True, but that's just a formality, if either two were better they would have been the first choice to come off the bench when JT got injured in the UM game. Also, he already had a big advantage over the other two because of playing well in live games, which is a lot different than practice reps.

9 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Haskins has the most arm talent that Ohio State has had at QB in the last 20 years (accuracy, touch, strength), but it's still a ridiculously small amount of tape.  Let's not get too ahead of ourselves.  I think Martell is a bigger threat than Burrow to win the job over him as Martell fits Urban's offense better and isn't a slouch throwing it either.  However, with both Dobbins and Weber back next year, they may go away from the read/option as much as they relied on it with Barrett.

To say that is well not saying much at all!  Here is the QBs they have had since 1998.  Three of them changed positions in the NFL, two becoming pretty legit wide receivers and Bellisari was moved to safety.  Pretty sad when one could argue Joe Germaine was one of the more accomplished QBs in the group in college.  JT Barrett who is no where near a top flight QB prospect looks pretty dang good comparing him to others in this group.

JT Barrett

Cardale Jones

Braxton Miller

Kenny Guiton

Terrelle Pryor

Todd Boeckman

Troy Smith

Craig Krenzel

Steve Bellisari

Joe Germaine 

Haskins in solid but again there are other freshman QBs out there this year who are better arguably.  Heck after just one half of football I would take Tua Tagovailoa over Haskins as a QB talent in terms of potential if one was picking right now.  I think Tua has a better arm and is potentially a better leader as well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2018 at 8:19 PM, Ozzy said:

I think Tua has a better arm and is potentially a better leader as well.

Disagree and how would you be able to decipher if either is a better leader than another based off of limited reps in which they basically did the same thing, they both lead their team to victory, albeit one being the national championship and the other being against UM which is a rivalry game where they were losing when he got the ball? 

Archived